rum fermentation

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kazoo
Novice

rum fermentation

Post by kazoo »

My rum wash, in which I used molasses frome the grocer, 10 lbs. sugar, and bread yeast, has been working for 3 days, in a 5 gallon bucket that has 4 to 4.5 gallons in it. Its fizzing, is the best way I can describe it. When you look into the wash with a light overhead, it almost looks like sparks under the surface. Its not bubbling much at all, but maybe it will start. Do I need to add nutrients or something, if so, What? Kazoo
Tater
Admin

Re: rum fermentation

Post by Tater »

Its doing fine .Fix ya a airlock and give it time . Will quit fizzin and loses it sweet taste when done.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
RumBull
Bootlegger

Post by RumBull »

I assume you don't have an ariloc so put some plastic wrap over it to keep the co2 in and oxygen out. Fizzing is what you should see. You are not going to see large bubbles.
7.5 gal and 15.5 gal SS keg with copper Super Sankey Scotch Style Still head.http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=8550
I make Rum and um... Rum
kingstonshine
Novice

Post by kingstonshine »

I'm doing the same thing as we speek and was wondering if it is possible to ferment for too long?? I have looked on this site and searched high and low and can't seem to find an answer. My rum wash has been going for 5 days and I'm leaving the country for a week, in two weeks so I wanted to know if I leave it till i get back will it be OK to distill still... And yes I'm a rookie at this game I came here for help and to learn along the way. We all started somewhere :wink:
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

I've heard that leaving it alone may cause spontaneous combustion of any cat that happens to pass by it during your absence.

If it's covered nice it'll be fine when you get back. If it's done before you leave you can rack it off and let it clear if you like.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Hey Kazoo, my last wash took a couple of days of sparking and then all of a sudden it formed a cap. Cheers, BD.
I do all my own stunts
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

blind drunk wrote:Hey Kazoo, my last wash took a couple of days of sparking and then all of a sudden it formed a cap. Cheers, BD.

You're mollasses wash formed a cap???

A cap of what?
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

My mistake, I misread. Mine's a grain. :oops: Good catch though. 8)
I do all my own stunts
Mud
Swill Maker

Post by Mud »

blind drunk wrote:My mistake, I misread.
BLIND being the operative word in your name. :D