my first ever rum

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rangitang
Novice

my first ever rum

Post by rangitang »

I put my first ever rum wash together being mollasses with 20% sugar. It started at 1.070 and fermented with real energy as i have not seen in a beer ferment. I used nutrient and a Lalvin wine yeast. At 1.020 the ferment went to hardli a bubble and slowed to fermenting out two points in 24 hours. I have wracked into carboys and will wait rather than pushing the panic button and stimulate with additinal nutrient and yeast. This website is beyond excellent and I am oh so glad to have this resource. I have put a twenty litre stock pot with a ten litre stock pot doubler and worm together in a well ventilated out building. I am using propane and a long Lyne arm. Any comments please.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Re: rum fermentation

Post by punkin »

Youre ferment is about finnished. it won't ferment to lower because of the unfermentables in the mollasses.

Try ale yeast for a good finnishing, quick yeast on rum.
armstrong
Novice

Re: my first ever rum

Post by armstrong »

how long did it take to ferment out?
rangitang
Novice

Post by rangitang »

The mash has been on for six days now. I have put the two 23L carboys on an electric warm pad and wrapped them in warm wrap. the gravity has gone down to .010 and so I think things are going OK.. I am ever thankful for this resource and I am new to distilling and foruming. My heartfelt apologies for any awkwardness on my part.
rangitang
Novice

Post by rangitang »

I will try ale yeast but so far I am maybe needing a Canadian brand name otherwise would a usual Coopers yeast be an equivalent? So far the initial fermentation of the Mollasses was very quick. I will mind the unfermentables in Mollasses and expect to end a little higher than.000. I have lots of time so I want the mash to settle.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Ill let others decide but coopers says ----woody/fruity ,, 65--70F
rangitang
Novice

Post by rangitang »

Rum mashes are working fine my basement temperature where I am fermenting was a too low for fermenting the mollasses tho' not for brewing beer. I am using Coopers yeast on the last two 20L batches and I must say it starts faster than the bakers yeast I had been using. I will wait several days after all bubbling has stopped before distilling. This will be my ninth run thru' a 20L stock pot and 8L doubler with a worm. So far the results have been more than encouraging and improvements to the still are planned and ongoing with a Sankey keg still being completed by myself and a friend. I love scrap yards and this site.