Cellar,Sheds,Basements,Garage??

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kingstonshine
Novice

Cellar,Sheds,Basements,Garage??

Post by kingstonshine »

What does everyone distille in?????? I'm just curious to know.
Dammfine
Novice

Re: Cellar,Sheds,Basements,Garage??

Post by Dammfine »

in my shed-behind my house-guarded by my dog.
"It shall be long, it shall be hard and there shall be no withdrawal" - Winston Churchill
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Out of the house in a separate shop that used to be my cottage before I dragged it across the road and built a new house. Say that ten times fast.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Sometimes, just in my underwear...

Really Rad,,,,,,,,,,,that much???????
slippers are nice, concrete is hard on the feet.
dropping_planets
Bootlegger

Post by dropping_planets »

small adobe and stone room at the end of the yard.... fire place.... skylight... no windows... dirt floor... netflix....... iTunes..... pit bull in the yard n pad lock on the gate..:shock: it sure is peacefull
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

The shack that passes for a shop by the house, six miles out of town on a dead end road. Nice and quiet out here.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

In my garage in a sub division...about 75feet to my next door neighbor...who is a rcmp.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

was in my storage building but the 7 ft colum on my new still would stick out of the roof so i closed in my carport.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
FeralPig
Swill Maker

Post by FeralPig »

goinbroke2 wrote:In my garage in a sub division...about 75feet to my next door neighbor...who is a rcmp.
LMAO Priceless :lol:

I do it under the back deck in a neighborhood. Made the mistake of telling two neighbors that I play poker with. Now they show up at odd hours wanting hooch. I feel like a drug dealer. Had to tell them to stop. I have not told another soul after that...except my pop, who keeps showing up at odd hours wanting hooch....sigh
This is so much fun it ought to be illegal..wait..never mind.

51" LM and a 24" Pot still with 62" Liebig with turbulator and spiral coolant swirler thingy. Both running on an unmodified keg with Tri-clover clamp attachment.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Out in the shed,my nearest neighbor is over 1 km away so have no hassles :mrgreen:
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

out side of my house (rent) about 5 foot away from neighbours house.. good fences make good neighbours. oh and letting them know that you torched someones car for puting their nose where it dident belong. :wink: OFCORSE I DIDENT,,, BUT THEY DONT GOTTA KNOW THAT :twisted: :twisted:
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Q-bIc
Novice

Post by Q-bIc »

mostly garage, since it attached to the house, and i don't have to get outside to go play :)
Tatt2d
Novice

Post by Tatt2d »

Been stillin' in the detached garage but I'm gettin tired of tearing it down after every run, scared of pryin eyes... :evil:
So I'm tryin to get power and water to an old shed (12x16) out back so that I can set up and do some real runnin.
I ask because I dont know better...

My first drops of distillate fell on Nov.18 '08 quickly followed again 10 days later. I'm hooked...
I run a 1.5" reflux column 51" tall. It is a CM rig... Yea, I know... - researching LM/VM now...
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5943

Thread on the build of my dedicated stillin shed.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Dang punkin,
Just went through that whole thread and wow. That is a not a shed or shop. That is a facility!

Good for you.

I wonder why you did not respond to gooseye's question about an evac plan?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
kingstonshine
Novice

Post by kingstonshine »

Just picked up my grandma's old shed a 12X12 good size for me to start out in (I think) the wife is not to keen on two sheds in the back yard but I'm not to keen on how she spends all my money lol so it worked out..

I plan on getting some pics up soon to show everyone and tell me what you think..
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I have a closet on my back porch which I use. I put up solar screening on the back porch so it is very difficult to see inside. I run electric, but I still keep the door to the porch open so the fumes can escape. It's about 15 feet from a highly used road in a suburb. I wave at police that drive by all the time.

About the only modifications I made to the closet (besides cleaning all the rakes, shovels and old tires out of it) was to install some of the power outlets with internal breakers...forget what they're called.

It works great. I'm getting ready to move and told my wife that a storage area out back with electricity and possibly water would be high on my things to look for in a house...I also brew beer and wine.

~bd~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

LWTCS wrote:Dang punkin,
Just went through that whole thread and wow. That is a not a shed or shop. That is a facility!

Good for you.

I wonder why you did not respond to gooseye's question about an evac plan?
He told me in the thread to keep the answer to myself 8)
alwaysannoyed
Novice

Post by alwaysannoyed »

I do it in the first floor bathroom, really pisses my wife off, but I find it a really convenient as it allow me do do other things around the house.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

bronzdragon wrote: About the only modifications I made to the closet (besides cleaning all the rakes, shovels and old tires out of it) was to install some of the power outlets with internal breakers...forget what they're called.
~bd~
GFI, Ground Fault Interrupter I assume...
FeralPig
Swill Maker

Post by FeralPig »

Punkin,

My envy knows no bounds. One day....
This is so much fun it ought to be illegal..wait..never mind.

51" LM and a 24" Pot still with 62" Liebig with turbulator and spiral coolant swirler thingy. Both running on an unmodified keg with Tri-clover clamp attachment.
NukleusX
Novice

Post by NukleusX »

Had to get in and start posting here! Just started this hobby myself (with my father). We have only tried our setup once, and so far it was in the back yard, surrounded by tall fences on all sides, no prying eyes. At first we had thought about runnin the setup in the garage, but opted out on that idea as our setup stands about 7ft tall. May try to figure out a way to make it a little shorter so we can run it in our garage/office though.
dunno what to put here, on all the other forums im on there is a description of my truck here. heh
Adverse Effects
Swill Maker

Post by Adverse Effects »

renting in suburbia with just to many gazing eyes

in a 2 car garage that is in the back yard and its my workshop as well
all i can say is thank god it has a 4Mt high roof in the middle as i need it to use my new creation my 3.2Mt tall VM

with all my gear (lath , buffer , 2.1Mt band saw , and so on and on and on)

carnt even fit my ride on mower in it with all my tools and stuff
Some people say its "FREE" but i say "there ant no free lunch" you get what you pay/work for
help those that help them self first
25Lt old school SS keg as a pot with a prototype Ponu still head
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

Im working on trying to buy 300 acres for raising corn and a legal operation. Maybe i can get Punkin to take a trip this way and help get it organized.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
tinboat
Novice

Post by tinboat »

I've got the dinning room and Miss Girl helps. Can't do it outside, not one spot on my property
that can't be seen.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

I've been distilling inside but I've got a 4.5meter X 4.5meter shed going in the back yard soon! all my distilling and brewing stuff will go in there. I'm trying to get my hands on a spare ss sink/bench from work. I'm building the shed over my sewage inspection point so I'm going to use that for drainage. I can't wait!
1fourme
Novice

Post by 1fourme »

SuperDavid wrote:I've been distilling inside but I've got a 4.5meter X 4.5meter shed going in the back yard soon! all my distilling and brewing stuff will go in there. I'm trying to get my hands on a spare ss sink/bench from work. I'm building the shed over my sewage inspection point so I'm going to use that for drainage. I can't wait!
Are you building it on top of your septic tank inspection point :shock: , or just an end of the line clean out fitting? :wink:
When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered.
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

1fourme wrote:
SuperDavid wrote:I've been distilling inside but I've got a 4.5meter X 4.5meter shed going in the back yard soon! all my distilling and brewing stuff will go in there. I'm trying to get my hands on a spare ss sink/bench from work. I'm building the shed over my sewage inspection point so I'm going to use that for drainage. I can't wait!
Are you building it on top of your septic tank inspection point :shock: , or just an end of the line clean out fitting? :wink:
na I don't have a septic tank! I imagine opening an inspection point on a septic tank in a shed would be a very bad idea!
The water corporation here calls it a sewage inspection point but it's not strictly sewage...any out going water goes past this point. If I turn on a tap in the kitchen and have a look down this inspection point I see the water running past. So i figure since it's in a bad spot for a shed I'll build the shed around it and make use of it.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

What you are talking about sounds like a Boundary Shaft. That's the last point of your sewer (including your kitchen drain :roll: ) before it becomes council property. the boundary shaft and associatted plumbing belongs to the council, if you build over it illegally and they want access to it, they will get it.

Don't matter if that means knocking down your new shed with an excavator.

Very bad idea, and one you should mention to the council when you put the plans in for your shed...you are putting plans in? :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Same thing goes for manholes or water meters.

It's a very easy (and nessercary) job to cut into the sewer upstream of the boundary shaft to run your wash tubs into from the shed. Do all the digging yourself and a friendly plumber could probably glue it all up in an hour for a couplea bottles :wink:

Also means you have a sewer main running through your yard. did ya know that when ya bought the place?