Have a bottle here...

The long and storied history of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NukleusX
Novice

Have a bottle here...

Post by NukleusX »

Just joined up, not sure if this is in the right section (mods please move to off topic if this does not belong in this section, though it very well may).

Anyhow, my dad has this bottle of what I am not sure at all what it may be. Description of bottle (may be able to take and post up a picture, though probably not tonight) is as follows:

Clear wine looking bottle, corked.
Black label
text/image on bottle from top to bottom:

circle at top with '1876' in it

The Grandaddy
[picture of the man]
"Col. James Radhe"
of
Smoothe ~ Booze

Los Alamos
California

It has been bugging me as to what this actually is in this bottle, for quite some time now. If anyone has some insight as to what it is, or any further origins, I would like to know. I do not plan on drinking the contents, as the bottle belongs to my dad (he doesnt plan on drinking it either); and a friend of his whom has since died gave it to him.

I would smell/taste test it, though the cork is old and appears to have deteriorated some with age; thus why I have not smelled/tasted it.

Thanks in advance everyone!
dunno what to put here, on all the other forums im on there is a description of my truck here. heh
punkin
Master of Distillation

Re: Have a bottle here...

Post by punkin »

If it don't belong to you, best you leave it alone rather than tamper with it.

That's something that can never be undone.

As far as your quest for knowledge of it's history, that's a good thing, and something your father will appreciate.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

As Punkin says. Your bottle could be of historical signifigance. May be worth showing it to some established wine/spirits experts.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Sometimes before buying an ancient bottle of brandy or what not they test it at the lab by sticking a hypodermic in there and drawing a little off. If it's a test you're looking for, following links to a local importer exporter of antique ports and brandies might lead to a lab that can check it out without screwing up the overall integrity of the package.
NukleusX
Novice

Post by NukleusX »

punkin wrote:If it don't belong to you, best you leave it alone rather than tamper with it.

That's something that can never be undone.

As far as your quest for knowledge of it's history, that's a good thing, and something your father will appreciate.
It is just sitting here. I am not tampering with it. Read the last paragraph in my original post saying "I do not plan on drinking it nor does my dad"

I made my above post asking what it may be, that is about all. Not really interested in taking it to an expert at this time, as it is not THAT important. Was just wondering what it is, and once again I have NOT tampered with it. Thanks.

Now, as per my original post, does anyone else have a shot at what it may be???
dunno what to put here, on all the other forums im on there is a description of my truck here. heh
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

NukleusX wrote:
It is just sitting here. I am not tampering with it. Read the last paragraph in my original post saying "I do not plan on drinking it nor does my dad"

I made my above post asking what it may be, that is about all. Not really interested in taking it to an expert at this time, as it is not THAT important. Was just wondering what it is, and once again I have NOT tampered with it. Thanks.

Now, as per my original post, does anyone else have a shot at what it may be???

NukleusX wrote:I would smell/taste test it, though the cork is old and appears to have deteriorated some with age; thus why I have not smelled/tasted it.
I did read your original post. I read where you said you would smell or taste test it even though the cork is old and appears to have deteriorated....

Once again i did NOT say you had tampered with it. Only that you shouldn't.

You came and asked advice. I gave you some advice. You obviously don't like my advice. So i will no longer give you advice.

Your rudeness was unnessercary.

Good luck with your question, biting the hands that feed ya generally gets you ignored round here. I know, when i started off i did same thing.

I was smart enough and gracious enough to apologise though.
NukleusX
Novice

Post by NukleusX »

punkin wrote: I did read your original post. I read where you said you would smell or taste test it even though the cork is old and appears to have deteriorated....

Once again i did NOT say you had tampered with it. Only that you shouldn't.

You came and asked advice. I gave you some advice. You obviously don't like my advice. So i will no longer give you advice.

Your rudeness was unnessercary.

Good luck with your question, biting the hands that feed ya generally gets you ignored round here. I know, when i started off i did same thing.

I was smart enough and gracious enough to apologise though.

And I will do the same, I did not mean to come off as rude. So my apology to you.

It isnt that I did not like your advice either. I am taking your advice and running with it. The bottle is back sitting up on the shelf (well its actually sitting on top of a file cabinet).

On to another question regarding the bottle: since the cork is deteriorated, is there any way to pull it, and re-cork it? :?:
NukleusX
Novice

Post by NukleusX »

Heres a picture I just took of the bottle.
0405091346.jpg
0405091346.jpg (133.44 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I guess that you probably googled it? I googled and nothing came up per say. There are some rare bottle/whiskey sites that might help you. Auction houses in the Great State of California might also know. (I love it there!!) Maybe get on the Antiques Road Show :lol:. Good luck with it; looks really interesting.

as an aside; I got a bottle of 35 year old Canadian Rye when the family house was sold. I phoned Seagrams and they said it was worthless and advised me not to drink it because it could be poisonous. It was delicious.

minor edit
I do all my own stunts
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

the jug aint addin up to to old.
after 4/7/33.

cork will stain your likker if you layin it flat . likker will turn to water if you storein it long an you aint keep it at proof an jug aint air tite

so im tole
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Looks like a homemade label.

Bottle looks empty at the bottom of the pic and three quarters full at the top :roll:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I wonder if it is a private "label"don't know if that is the right name , but a times you could buy a barrel have it bottled and your name and label put on.
a search turns up nothing.afue distilleries in that area but nothing that had that name.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

They definitely didn't have glossy labels like that in the 1800's... Labels were much simpler back then...

I tried researching it last night and couldn't find anything regardless of what phrases I tried...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Could ya show pics of bottle top and the bottom?
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

aint no nothin bout proof. distillery prided themselfs on that number.
smooth booze it wont im betin when charged if it even likker an aint beer.

so im tole
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Any of those Los Alamos area distillers established in 1876?
Any markings on the bottom of the bottle?
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
NukleusX
Novice

Post by NukleusX »

Hawke wrote:Any of those Los Alamos area distillers established in 1876?
Any markings on the bottom of the bottle?
After reading what others have replied here, I am thinking that may be a lead, as far as 1876 being the est. date of where/whoever made it, and not the actual date of the bottle. :idea:

As for more pics, I am lazy about pics of anything. Have no digi cam at the moment, and have to take the pics with phone, email them to myself, download, etc etc etc and it is a bit of work.

More general info/questions:
-have googled the names and such on the bottle, and came up with nothing as you folk did as well.
-bottle has been stored upright, i am no master of thermodynamics, though is there any chance some of the contents could have evaporated very slowly through a bad cap? (thus resulting in your observation punkin, about seeing how it looks as if the bottle is only 3/4 full)
-some of the cork has deteriorated and very very fine particles are on the bottom of the bottle.... if ever to be consumed(more than likely not going to happen), could i use a coffee type filter to strain these particles?
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

To me it doesn't look that old, (the picture quality not very good), the best people to ask are old bottle collectors/(UK)Victorian dump diggers, I was once one of those :) you examine the neck and the bottom of the bottle+thickness of the glass. recon that bottle has more sentimental value than anything else.
NukleusX
Novice

Post by NukleusX »

stillvodka wrote:To me it doesn't look that old, (the picture quality not very good), the best people to ask are old bottle collectors/(UK)Victorian dump diggers, I was once one of those :) you examine the neck and the bottom of the bottle+thickness of the glass. recon that bottle has more sentimental value than anything else.
my exact thoughts :)
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I'd refill it with my stuff, cork it and dip the cork in wax to seal. Then on some fancy occasion pull it out with much fanfare. LOL!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I have a beer bottle about 1890? rather crude, heavy glass and the farther back you go the cruder they git ,
after the turn of the century they started making machine made bottles (still quite heavy, thank old coke bottles)
Im thinking about 1940s -50? they became thinner and more perfect.
(IM not a xpert just what I can remember )bottles are part of history ,as all antiques worth what someones willing to give.
most likely worth more in the area that it was used .
NukleusX
Novice

Post by NukleusX »

yeah dnder, it isnt that old- im guessing you may be right, the bottle is rather new bottle type looking (perfected)...
mr.smoothe booze
Novice

Post by mr.smoothe booze »

Hello
I can answer all your questions about that bottle of not so "Smoothe Booze". It is Grappa most likely. I have drank some (about 17 years ago) my father made it. I printed the cheesey label... I am surprised you came across a bottle with a lable on it (kinda funny) supposed to be a big secret it always went out without a lable. Pops expermented with sour mash recipies also, If its clear it should be disstilled sherry. Loads of history behind this bottle and the man that produced it. He is not around anymore. This is a cool site I wish I did not use my real name at sign up time; thank goodness I am not in the business!
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

mr.smoothe booze wrote:This is a cool site I wish I did not use my real name at sign up time; thank goodness I am not in the business!
Fixed your nick for you.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Loads of history behind this bottle and the man that produced it.
Could you tell us more, discretely? Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts