plugging a hole

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

plugging a hole

Post by stillvodka »

In the process of build a boiler up on my pot still, I have decided to put a 3 ''diameter spout for filling and cleaning out the boiler, I need to find something so as to plug the hole air tight when I run the still, I don't want anything elaborate, I was thinking on a large Cork, have anyone got any better suggestions? I not 100% about using cork though, is there problems with the use of cork with regards high % alcohol.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Re: plugging a hole

Post by punkin »

stillvodka wrote:In the process of build a boiler up on my pot still, I have decided to put a 3 ''diameter spout for filling and cleaning out the boiler, I need to find something so as to plug the hole air tight when I run the still, I don't want anything elaborate, I was thinking on a large Cork, have anyone got any better suggestions? I not 100% about using cork though, is there problems with the use of cork with regards high % alcohol.

Best idea would be to thread it and use a ball valve.

Another material if youre unwilling to do that is timber. As it gets wet it swells slighly making it seal better.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'd go with a hardwood bung but a softwood bung would also work...
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

I don't know much about wood really, would there be any sort of Resin or tannings in the wood that might come out. 3'' bung is quite big.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

im not a carpentry expert, but a hardwood like oak or cherry should do fine. I know first hand that pure cork works great, but getting a 3" bung of it would be tricky...

I would try to make it a mechanical type valve rather then simply a big hole with a hunk of wood shoved in it...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if your clever enough , you could make a cover like corny keg has.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

eternalfrost wrote:im not a carpentry expert, but a hardwood like oak or cherry should do fine. I know first hand that pure cork works great, but getting a 3" bung of it would be tricky...

I would try to make it a mechanical type valve rather then simply a big hole with a hunk of wood shoved in it...
Dnderhead wrote:if your clever enough , you could make a cover like corny keg has.
A hunk of wood shoved in it :lol: Yes it does sound bit of a bodge job.

Make a cover like corny keg has? I haven't seen that one.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Or a flange and triclover blank end.

Why do you need a 3" fill port?

mines 3/4 and works just fine with a six inch wide copper funnel shoved through the ball valve.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I supose 3" would be quite handy for emtying / flushing it out. I wouldn't bother with any of the bung type solutions they will probably just annoy you in the end with bad seals etc. Put a flange on it and either use a bolt on blanking plate or a triclover type arrangement
An slightly cheaper alternative is to put a flange on your spout and use a flour paste seal and spring clips with a small bowl to seal it up when it is not in use.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

triclovers rock, they sell them in 3 inches at mcmaster or brew sites. you can get blank stopper plates that will seal off a ferrule with a clamp
1fourme
Novice

Post by 1fourme »

http://www.milehidistilling.com/Moonshi ... es_s/5.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Thanks everyone,
For your advice and ideas, the more info the better, more options open up that way, saves me having a brain ache, my boiler is stainless keg, They are great for boilers but hard to work on, I was a welder at one point and can Tig weld to not a bad standards, needed to give it up though, breathing in too much crappy fumes, mig welding messed up my sinuses, sold all my gear last year apart from my oxy portapak, if i still had my Tig , eliminates alot of problems with stainless steel