Ferment stinks like rotten eggs

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Ferment stinks like rotten eggs

Post by kenfyoozed »

I started a new wash last night.
3lbs of brown sugar
7lbs of white sugar
1 can of tomato paste
added water to reach Sg of 1.077

Also added a "yeast bomb". Consisting of:
1/4 yeast
1/4tsp epsom salt
5 tsp 21-0-0
2 multivitamins.

This thing started ferminting fast. Airlock was bubbling fast in 30mins and has not stopped for 24 hours. I Pitched 1/2 cup of yeast when the temp was 84*f. I did two new things, 1) I used the bread machine bakers yeast that comes in small jars. 2) I used tap water.

After 20 hours the Sg is 1.034. The air coming from the air lock smells like rotten eggs. I searched the forums and found some information, and the thought of contamination scares me. The liquid smells fine and taste fine, but the off gassing smells horrible. What have I done wrong? Am i safe to distill?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Ferment stinks like rotten eggs

Post by Dnderhead »

Symptom: It smells like rotten eggs.
Cause 1: Yeast Strain Rotten egg odors (hydrogen sulfide) can have two common causes: the yeast strain and bacteria. Many yeast strains produce noticeable amounts of hydrogen sulfide during fermentation. The smell and any sulfur taste will dissipate during lagering.
Cure: Let it condition for a few weeks after primary fermentation.

Cause 2: Bacteria Bacterial infections can also produce sulfury odor.
Cure: Let the fermentation complete and then taste it before distilling to see if it is infected. Toss it if it is.
I whould say the yeast........
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

I am a Nurse by trade, and I have never "tasted" infection. :mrgreen: So when tasting what should I look for? Are there anyother signs? I assumed it was the yeast or water. Thanks for the help.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

If it is good it will taste like "funky"dry wine or hard cider if it is infected it will taste like OOOOOO its **@*&^%!!!!!
one note** if you ever have a mold on top it wont hurt (mite look like a zodiac sign :? ), just run it and clean everything up next time.
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

Thanks. I'll let it run for now and taste when completely finished. Hopefully it will be ok, and the smell is just comeing form the yeast.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Epsom salt = magnesium sulfate

21-0-0 = ammonium sulfate

Bugs + tons o' sulfate = rotton egg smell

As advised though, it's not a deal-buster. Any that doesn't 'blow off' will likely be 'dealt with' during distillation.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

"1) I used the bread machine bakers yeast that comes in small jars. 2) I used tap water"

Just FYI, I use bread machine yeast (what the wife brought home) and tap water. My water is town water with chlorine etc and a ph of 7.0 I use lemon juice or backset to lower it. No mine doesn't stink but thought I'd confirm that others use bread machine yeast and tap water too.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

"Bread Machine Yeast" is merely "Rapid Rise Yeast" which contains Ascorbic Acid as an added ingredient which would contribute only marginally to a sulfur smell, but you never know what'll happen when combined with the rest of the sulfates...
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

I know all of my equipment was clean I used water and bleach and let evrything soak an hour before I started. All my ingrediants were new except 1 bag of brown sugar. It was in an airtight container, but I have had it for a few months. How else could I have gotten contaimination? I am new to this, but I knwo about keeping things clean and seperate from working in a hospital. I'll report back tonight once I get a chance to check it.

Is there any way to actually test if there are "bugs"?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I think you're probably exaggerating the off smell because brown sugar and molasses do put out an odd smell... That's one reason why I haven't tried any more brown sugar washes here in the apartment... While the smell does subside relatively quickly it really smells things up until it does... They can say all they want about being unsulfured - the smell is still there during fermentation...
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

I checked the ferment when I got home. SG at .996. The smell is still there just not as strong. I didnt add molasses, but the smell amy be coing from the brown sugar. That is a good thought. This was the first time I had the ferment in the living area, normally it stays in our utility room/storage area. In the dining room it , it really stank up the whole house, but its going away now. So who knows? It tatse's ok, almost like some bubbly champain. I'll run this tommorrow after noon.

I forgot to add, that I appreciate the help!
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Don't know the science but when it used to happen to me when I made wine I would rack off and that would do it. BD.
I do all my own stunts
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

kenfyoozed wrote: Is there any way to actually test if there are "bugs"?
:D

Yeast are bugs...or is that 'yeast am bugs'? 'Yeast is bugs'?
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

The Chemist wrote:
kenfyoozed wrote: Is there any way to actually test if there are "bugs"?
:D

Yeast are bugs...or is that 'yeast am bugs'? 'Yeast is bugs'?
here i am thinking yeast is a plant.... :roll:
0re0
Bootlegger

Post by 0re0 »

reading on the homepage I saw that pitching too much yeast can possibly give you sulfur odors
I've done it before, no big deal.
Sulfur smell doesn't necessarily mean you are contaminated

Aerate wash with a breathing nebulizer or small water pump and add copper as stated before
It worked for me in my time of need
BUUUUUUUUUUURP!
My 1st Rum Run