pintoshine's ministill

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kurgan
Swill Maker

pintoshine's ministill

Post by kurgan »

Sat down with the kids while they were coloring and threw this together.

I know it's ugly as the devil, but pretty good for what I had to work with. Printer paper is not ideal, it's harder to work with than you would think.
trthskr4
Distiller

Re: pintoshine's ministill

Post by trthskr4 »

:D I think it's pretty cool. What size paper did you print it on? What do you think the volume would be if it were copper?
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Printed on 8.5x11. It's pretty small, even done in copper it wouldn't be more than for show.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I've fancied making one on an 11" x 17" sheet and mocking it up and then making it out of copper the same size. I just didn't know what the volume would be exactly. I'd like one about 2 gallons.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

I built one that was 6 litres out of copper, it turned out very nice, and it works well too.

I heard recently that Pint-O-Shine is making several of the ministills in copper for sale on ebay. The boiler size works out to be just under 3/4 of a litre.
keep an eye out on ebay they'll turn up eventually.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

violentblue wrote:I built one that was 6 litres out of copper, it turned out very nice, and it works well too.

I heard recently that Pint-O-Shine is making several of the ministills in copper for sale on ebay. The boiler size works out to be just under 3/4 of a litre.
keep an eye out on ebay they'll turn up eventually.
Funny you should mention that. I am working on another now. I scrounged around the house and found a roll of brass shimstock I had from a previous life. I have it all cut out, now I just have to get some solder to put it together.

These things are fun to put together, but I don't think I could do this for selling. It is great practice, and you learn a lot in the process.

Pint sir, I cannot thank you enough for making this available. I'm having a blast :-)
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Just love the plasticine bit...very good :mrgreen:

Maybe you get the kids ahammering and a tinkering?

might make em a bit of pocket money on ebay?

GottaStartEmYoungPunkin
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

punkin wrote: might make em a bit of pocket money on ebay?
LOL, Like little elves...

Cool work, thanks for posting.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Here's what i've got of the brass ministill so far. The soldering looks like chicken s--t on a hoe handle and it still needs cleaning up. It's my first, so I hope to get better with practice.

Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Cute, it sort of looks like Lego Pinocchio about to drink a pitcher of beer....

(that was my Ms. Ugly's input on the matter)

nice first stab, beats most of the glass figurines and crap people have around , would be a fine little mantle piece
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Definitely a wealth of creative minds here on the forum. Creative minds not only yield great ideas, but also inspire others in there works. You guys work have definitely inspire me. I have been kicking around the idea of using Pintoshine template to one day when I get a few other projects finished, and find some free time to try my hand at making one of these pot stills. I think the one made from construction paper would be a great practice run for me. Paper sure is cheaper than copper to play around with. Thanks!!! The pot still made from brass is awesome too. Maybe after a few trial run of my own with the construction paper this would be a great father son project. My son is only 8 and I say has never even heard on making shine little lone seen a picture of an ole pot still. I'm sure he would enjoy make one and learn a little bit about the history of moon shining. Should make for a great arts, craft, and a good history lesson all rolled into one. Thanks again and keep up the great work.
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig