Whats your longest ferment?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olddog
retired

Whats your longest ferment?

Post by olddog »

My ferments usually take 7-10 days, I have recently put down DWWG which is now into its 15th day. Nothing has changed the air temp is 25-30c the sugar was inverted with the hour boil time yet its still fermenting, I'm not worried about it I will just leave it til it stops.
I was wondering what the longest ferment any of you guys have had?
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
HookLine
retired

Re: Whats your longest ferment?

Post by HookLine »

6 weeks for a tomato paste sugar wash. Ended up one of the cleanest tasting I have ever done.

But way too long.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Around 2 weeks with sugar and grain, depending on the yeast type and temperature. I just went to the shed and some jugs ready for the boiler are hissing and bubbling again. Good thing the tops were just loose enough. BD.
I do all my own stunts
SuperDavid
Swill Maker

Post by SuperDavid »

I did an apple cider that went for just over a month and I had a couple of wposw's that took about the same amount of time because I didn't follow the recipe exactly.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I did a rum for 8 weeks in the fridge at 40 deg. on lager yeast just to see what would happen. It was good rum but
not worth the time.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

HookLine wrote:6 weeks for a tomato paste sugar wash. Ended up one of the cleanest tasting I have ever done.

But way too long.
First tomato paste wash I did took forever too, the stuff tastes divine however, speed of ferment four weeks, do it again in a heartbeat... nice cool long ferment kept to 10%
dropping_planets
Bootlegger

Post by dropping_planets »

just ran 2 DWWG ferments that took 6 weeks... started them 24 hours apart..... they ran dry respectively, 6 weeks later, 24 hours apart...

i think maybe i forgot to aerate with the drill....why else could it take so long...? ambient temp is always in the mid 70's...

my UJSM takes 36 hours,12 generations later..... :mrgreen:

my all grain takes a day or two longer then the UJSM.... these two are a bit hard to keep up with... the corn mash i'll let sit for a bit, but the UJSM gets run the morning after it runs dry....
Adverse Effects
Swill Maker

Post by Adverse Effects »

rice ferment took 11 weeks

it was the smoothest drink i have ever made but it also was the most work i have ever done on a singel ferment took over 12 hours to get all the rice cooked right to be fermented
Some people say its "FREE" but i say "there ant no free lunch" you get what you pay/work for
help those that help them self first
25Lt old school SS keg as a pot with a prototype Ponu still head
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

fruit fermint over winter till spring
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Ginger Beer that took thirteen months.
nh_yankee
Novice

Post by nh_yankee »

25 liters of mead that took 24 months before I finally gave up and bottled it. Oh! Is it good!!!!!
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Mead does take forever to ferment, but I've always been pleased with the result.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

Did 3 of WPOSW, Followed directions to a T and the first 2 took almost 46 days to complete :( .

The third batch I added turbo yest after 20 days and it finished up in 2 more days.

I will be trying WPOSW again soon but this time will check PH closer and will try not to use citric acid or gypsum unless the ph needs altering.

So far I have been able to take my tap water and set it outside in gallon jugs to let the sun kill the chlorine and have not had to worry about the PH.
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Fastest ferments I ever had were with all-grain mashes. My all-grains usually ferment within 3 days tops. If I sweeten the mash, it takes couple days longer, sometimes a week. UJSM usually takes a 1-2 weeks. Longest ferment I ever had was with UJSM that was many generations old, that had just slowed to a crawl. (3-1/2 weeks). I had used PH adjuster (5.2) in it, and with the combination of using backset (25%) it just brought it to a screeching halt. I ran it sweet after that for a few gens to get it going again, but it never produced well after that, so I cleaned everything out and started over. I use whiskey yeast with AG for all of it.

I never had an all-grain mash that fermented slower than a sugar based wash. If I did, I'd reckon something was wrong.