First Motorized Vehicle You Owned?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly Rebel
Swill Maker

First Motorized Vehicle You Owned?

Post by Hillbilly Rebel »

What was the first vehicle with a motor that you ever owned?
Mine was a 1962 four door Mercury.It had been wrecked before I got it and the passenger side headlight was taped into place.Occasionally, like when I hit a bump, it would pop out and hang there, swaying back and forth like a big eyeball that had been gouged out. :? What about your first vehicle?
nedscreekkennels
Novice

Re: First Motorized Vehicle You Owned?

Post by nedscreekkennels »

A 1959 chevy p-up payed $275.00 for it and had to put a motor in it logged over 200000 miles on that truck still wish I had that one back.
radio11
Novice

Post by radio11 »

Well mine waz a 1967 green mustang,put a 351 cleavland in it.could smoke the opp .it waz a blast! :roll:
If a man can,t piss in is own front yard.he lives to close to town.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

62 buick "Skylark" convertable. Put some Cherry Bomb glass paks on that little (v) 6 banger and she ran purty dern good. Loud but good.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

1940 ford if i remember right gave 50$.
airhill
Swill Maker

Post by airhill »

Early 60's Lambretta, with the optional extra long luggage rack :)
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

1981 Nissan bluebird station wagon.. 4 speed and would pop out of reverse and had rust hole the size of my head when i got it lol cost $500 with 6 months rego lol
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

1941 Chev 1/2 ton. Got it for helping the neighbor pack for moving. Never did get it road worthy, but tore the heck out of the pasture with it.

Actual first driver was a '61 T-Bird. Drove that through highschool and a few years after. By the time I sold it, it had a full FE 390 and top loader 4 speed in it.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
guillermo
Novice

Post by guillermo »

A 1963 Ford Falcon Futura convertible which dropped 2 transmissions, died various times by the side of the road and finally was abandoned in some unknown location by a group of drunk college students after my brother lent it to them.
Magnum
Novice

Post by Magnum »

1963 Chev Belair -6 cylinder with a 3 on the tree. $100 from a very old lady. I remember having a sticker on it that read "ass, gas or grass NOBODY rides for free". Hey! It was the 70's,

I can remember gas wars down to 13 cents a gallon.
An anonymous tip led KSP officers and a Leslie County deputy to Bray's home on Tuesday, where they found the still...
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

66 pontiac bonneville. a big car for a 16 year old guy. cost $75. drove for 3 years and the motor puked a rod through the block. sold it for junk, got 50 bucks. it had a hugh back seat :D
smokerscully1
Swill Maker

Post by smokerscully1 »

'51 Hudson with a straight 8--paid $50 for it 1963. Bought a '59 dodge Coronet with push button tranny--fastest shifting car I ever owned. Bought a Dodge Dart Swinger brand new in 1972--paid $2700--Yellow with black bumble bee stripe--340 with 4 on the floor and 4:11 rear end. Kids today don't know what a hot car is.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Dang Smoke your killing me and bringing back the memories.

My old time buddy Jim Bought a 58 Dodge wagon with a Hemi (to rival the Nomad). Been on blocks years past the old mans death. The widow sold it to him for $400.

Jimmy changed the oil and aired up the tires (thats it). Friggin thing would smoke the tires. Car was a peach.And Jimmy was gonna do a complete restore anyway.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

A '50 something BSA 500 single purchased for $15. After cleaning out the carb, magneto and engine and yeeeha starting it I used corn cobs in the tyre for a ride around the paddock.

Sorted it out with real bush mechanics. Ran it on power kero and fired it up on meths, it was my wheels to freedom for a few years. Epoxy putty and butcher welds held it together, and used engine oil smoothed it out...them was the days in the long lost Rhodesia.

My parents were against me riding a motorcycle and as a teenager I had to do it all on my own limited resourses. (Same with guns but that's another topic).
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
poidog
Novice

Post by poidog »

A 1959 Harley Davidson Duo Glide. My dad and I found it as a basket case at a garage sale for $500. He bought it for me for my 16th birthday. I rode it for the first time two years later to Daytona Bike Week.

While I was getting Whore Dog built I bought a 1962 Plymouth Valiant with a push button auto tranny and a 225 slant six to get me to the beach and back. I gave $200 and a bag of (home grown) pot for Nelly Belle.

Whore Dog was the first motor vehicle I owned, but Nelly Belle is the first street legal ride I owned.

I still own them both. It cost me a pretty penny to have the both shipped here to the far side of BFE, but you can have them when you
pry them out of my cold dead hands...
I think, therefore I think... I think
MOUSE
Novice

Post by MOUSE »

My first, Simson MZ 50cc. Image
Image My current CBR600F3.
Hopefully my future bike Trumph Sprint ST. Image
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

Bought a '53 black chevy 2 door sedan from my sister when she bought a brand new '64 VW
that chev was 3 on the tree with the six cylinder motor, as long as I stayed under about 10 mile trips it didnt use oil, but much over that, (like 30 miles up to San Clemente to the surfing contest ), take a couple of quarts of oil along, -hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

heynonny wrote: take a couple of quarts of oil along, -hey-
My 61 'Bird used a case of oil to get From NC to WA state, when I returned from the service. That is when I decided it was time for the mods.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I had my heart set on a BSA 500 single as a lad but my parents were against me doing anything that they considered 'dangerous' so I finished up with a 1934 Singer Nine for fifteen quid. What a ball tearer it was too. I needed to carry a full kit of tools and spare parts if I intended travelling farther than ten miles. :)

In 1959 I took it to the wreckers and bought a brand spanking new VW beetle. No tools needed for many, many years.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
airhill
Swill Maker

Post by airhill »

blanikdog wrote: but my parents were against me doing anything that they considered 'dangerous'

blanik
:lol: Thats how I ended up with the Lambretta, never understood how my baby brother got a Norton. :roll:
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

blanikdog wrote:so I finished up with a 1934 Singer Nine for fifteen quid.
...now 9,000 quid in the UK!

The BSA was followed by a Norton 500 twin engine butchered in, then a Triumph Tiger Cub (still needed a full toolbox), then a BMW R500 (toolbox stayed at home), '59 Beetle, and on to a new era complete with weed (poidog :twisted: )...a Honda CB450 BlackBomber and many more VW's.

I'm in 2nd childhood and lusting after one of those 2nd childhood machines...Ducatti, Aprilla, Yamaha 1600...don't know where to start...
1140_both.jpg
1140_both.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
The beginning meets the end! No it's not mine except for the lust. Something that will leave a dotted black line on the pavement....
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Hillbilly Rebel
Swill Maker

Post by Hillbilly Rebel »

You guys reminded me that I had a series of bikes. The first was a motorbike that you pedaled to get started. Went off the side of a bridge and broke my arm in a dry creek bed. The second was a Super 90 Honda, hit a car head on and broke out a tooth, a wind shield, (the car's), and almost became a girl on the shock damper.(In all honestly the car got stopped before the impact, I didn't.) Last was a 180 Yamaha, nice bike, but after hitting the car I never really got into bikes again. I have had fourwheelers in recent years, like them just fine but at my current age, I don't take any chances either. I just don't bounce as good as I use to.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

A Datsun 510

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I do all my own stunts
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

That was my college days car.......... with the hole in the floor
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Ayay wrote:
blanikdog wrote:so I finished up with a 1934 Singer Nine for fifteen quid.
...now 9,000 quid in the UK!....
Yairs Ayay, Hurts doesn't it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

It was a '59 Beetle that Grandpa gave us. He'd last used it to get around on the farm. We towed it back from Idaho and I mucked out the hay, sawdust, and bar oil. It was beat. Grandpa never lets anything go until it's used pretty much down to the last drop. There was a hole drilled through the door posts and you stuck a sixteen penny nail through it to latch the door. I fixed the latch and Dad and I cut it up and put a baja kit on it. We got it painted yellow and it looked and ran pretty nice, but the clutch was starting to chatter so I decided to sell it. I never really got to drive it because I still wasn't old enough to have a license yet. Now, years later, I realize that changing the clutch in it would have been easy and probably taken a little over an hour.
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

1968 cornett 440
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Honda 500cc trail bike. Can't remember the model. Mid 70s.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
bourbonbob
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by bourbonbob »

First bike was a BSA bantem 175cc, I think it was a late 50's model. First car was a 1957 Ford Customline 272 V8 3 speed auto.
Image Keep on Stillin' Image
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

then a Triumph Tiger Cub (still needed a full toolbox)
ayay, what you said about the tiger cub reminded me about this:

This is a '56 tiger cub trials bike 3 speed tranny sheet metal tri-clamps leather seat. It only ever ran on a six volt lantern battery tied between the down tubes, and not run since the mid '70's. It used as much oil as gas. Its still leaning against the same wall at my mothers place. the barn is about 80-90 years old, and UNsafe, along with a skunk living in there. -hey-
Attachments
56-tiger-cub.jpg

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!