Not there yet

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sandhusker
Novice

Not there yet

Post by Sandhusker »

Guys,
I made up a batch of a bourbon type of hooch. It's a sour mash / thin mash recipe that was corn, barley, rye, and millet. It's been on oak since Christmas and still isn't there yet. When you first taste it, it tastes really good - I'm happy with that. The problem is that is ends a little harsh. Any ideas on how to settle down the "back end"?
Husker
retired

Re: Not there yet

Post by Husker »

Bubble some air through it. Get a copper tube (ice maker line, i.e. the small shit), poke a couple dozen tiny holes in it (about 8" of the end). Then crimp the end shut. Curl this into a bit of a cork screw shape (but what can still go into your storage bottle). Then hook that up to an aquarium pump, and let'r run for a while. Sample every few hours until this after-bite goes away (might take a day, to a couple days). But if you have oak aged and not 'air' aged already, then with a little angels share given up, it should finish it up nicely.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Note, it is also possible you got a little tails in there (or heads). Air will help, but might not be able to 'get it all'.

good luck, H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Sandhusker
Novice

Post by Sandhusker »

Husker wrote:Note, it is also possible you got a little tails in there (or heads). Air will help, but might not be able to 'get it all'.

good luck, H.
I made up a bubbler a couple of weeks ago on your recommendations. Seems to be working well. I'll give it a shot on this batch.

I very well may have some tails in there. I seem to take that cut pretty deep - I'll be under what I think I should be cutting off at and still be collecting. I taste every half pint at that point and I must like the taste of tails. Seems to me that a lot of spice comes through. I'll take until I don't like the taste.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Be aware that the rubber diaphragm in those aquarium pumps can add a distinct 'Chateau Bridgestone' flavour to your booze. You can modify the pump to suck instead of blow, to eliminate this problem. Some pics here show how it is done.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

SH,

I don't think there is any thing you can with that booze, the best advice I can give you is - give it to an old friend (the Bohunk) and let him get rid of it for you. Your problem will be gone.

The Bohunk
Sandhusker
Novice

Post by Sandhusker »

Bohunk wrote:SH,

I don't think there is any thing you can with that booze, the best advice I can give you is - give it to an old friend (the Bohunk) and let him get rid of it for you. Your problem will be gone.

The Bohunk
Last I saw, the Bohunk had about 38 years of supply on hand already!

BTW, a couple of friends sampled your wares last night and declared that it tasted like Pendleton - and they like Pendleton.