Fusel Oil Lab Analysis Results # 1

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Photonic
Novice

Fusel Oil Lab Analysis Results # 1

Post by Photonic »

As many of you will know, the instructions of an AirStill (Easy-Still, Mr Distiller, Smart Still etc) recommend that for their "Triple Distilled" yeast that you do not need to make cuts, nor throw any foreshots away.

Despite moving on from Turbos, I decided to test what they said.

I made a wash of "Triple Distilled" wash exactly as the directions called for, and then ran it through my still.

The instructions say to collect the first 700ml of a 4l run, then dilute to 40% alcohol, and carbon filter. I did this, but I took 55ml of each run and kept it separate. I presumed this to be a mixture of foreshots and heads.

I sometimes send some of my wine to a wine lab for analysis (as I am experimenting with yeasts and nutrients) so I arranged for a wine-lab to run some tests on it. I submitted 100ml of foreshots, 100ml from the remaining 645ml and 100ml of the remainder after dilution and filtration. I also submitted some of the original wash.

The samples were tested for fusel oil content, and the results of some of my samples are shown below.

I was surprised to see that the amount of methanol was so small that it was actually recorded as >5 (less than 5mg/l), even in the foreshots! To be safe in my calculations, I assumed the maximum value of 5mg/l, as I did for the other fusel oils that I've highlighted in grey.
The numbers in the top left corner are the ABV% of the various samples.
Fusel Oils.jpg
(Click for higher resolution chart)

LD50 Data sources:

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/HY/hydroxyacetone.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/IS/isoamyl_alcohol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/IS/isopentyl_acetate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/IS/isobutyl_alcohol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/BU/1-butanol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/PR/1-propanol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/ET/ethyl_acetate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/f8040.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/ME/methyl_alcohol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/AC/acetaldehyde.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

However, it is clear that the foreshots do contain much higher proportions of other fusels than exist in the other samples.

I also had a scour on the internet for the dosage required to kill 50% of rats that ingested the various fusel oils (LD50), I was able to find the human LD50 for Methanol.

I did some approximate calculations of how much spirit would be required to reach these doses, I hope that they are accurate, but I haven't had time to check them, so please scream if there are any mistakes.

I thought it might be of interest here, although I guess that the carrying over of fusels will vary from still to still and according type of still.

Next time I run a batch of a different wash, I could submit a sample if anyone is interested in the results.
HookLine
retired

Re: Fusel Oil Lab Analysis Results # 1

Post by HookLine »

Nice work. Hard data is good.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Certainly is good work. Well done photonic.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
stillton
Novice

Post by stillton »

good stuff Photonic!
this clearly show that you cant just strip your wash and carbon filter the product extra much to get the same result as if running a reflux still, or potstill with clean wash and proper cuts.

If you ask me, I would like to see a competition between a MUM and alcotec vodka star fermentation http://www.turbo-yeast.biz/Svenska/Alco ... a_Star.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

i understand you get surprised about methanol levels, as your used to see the values from wines. without all the pektin the fermentation will produce virtually no methanol, even if it produce ten times more fusel oils in general.
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Great to have hard numbers, but don't just look at the methanol, boys. Looks at the acetone numbers! Helluva lot more in the fores. 4 times more, in fact. 10 times more iso-butanol, nearly 10 times more iso-amyl alcohol, 35(THIRTY FIVE!) times more ethyl acetate, and so on and so forth. All of those are nasty, some nastier than methanol. YOU can keep your fores if you wish, but I'm not interested in the headache, tremors, puking, and paint thinner flavor, thank you very much. It may not kill you outright, but you may wish you were dead the next morning :lol: :lol:

Seriously; methanol is what we are lead to believe is the nasty by-product of poor distillation practices, but there's an awful lot more ingredients that make up the nasties in the foreshots. It's just easier for the local news to say "Local man goes blind from drinking homemade moonshine that contained methanol". That doesn't make the newsguy right, does it?
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Seriously; methanol is what we are lead to believe is the nasty by-product of poor distillation practices, but there's an awful lot more ingredients that make up the nasties in the foreshots.
Agree. I have always been more concerned about acetone and ethyl acetate, for a start.

•••••••••

And thanks for the MSDS links too, Photonic.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

Indeed.

I always throw the foreshots (I'm not that desparate for 55ml of spirit, even with the tiny yield that my still gives).

The other fusels are interesting. I always assumed that I could smell acetone in the foreshots and even in the heads (when I collect in small glasses). I now assume that what I was smelling was Ethyl Acetate. The Iso Amyl Alcohol is interesting too.

Stillton, what's a "MUM"? The Methanol did surprise me, as I've made wines with around 40mg/l methanol content.
stillton
Novice

Post by stillton »

Photonic wrote: Stillton, what's a "MUM"? The Methanol did surprise me, as I've made wines with around 40mg/l methanol content.
its a recipe that many potstillers use, and claim to be the best way to make a clean fermentation from white sugar. of course there are many other, but it seems to be what many use instead of turbo yeast.
there is probably a thread about it some were in here, but hers the recipe: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MBX3SlsOzL ... ion%29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
im not sure if you can access the file without yahoo membership.. let me know, and I can upload it elsewhere.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Irish moss in that recipe... interesting. other than that it is pretty much Birdwatchers and WPOS combined. not sure you'd need both tomato and miricle gro?
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
stillton
Novice

Post by stillton »

kiwistiller wrote:Irish moss in that recipe... interesting. other than that it is pretty much Birdwatchers and WPOS combined. not sure you'd need both tomato and miricle gro?
i havnt tried it myself. My point is however that it would be fun to see a competition between a well reputed diy wash and one made from a good turbo yeast. I only took MUM as an example, since its the recipe i heard most about.
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

I have a bottle of Birdwatcher's wash (but using wine yeast) ready for the lab next time I send some in.

I plan to also submit a bottle of the All-Bran one.

Thanks for the link to MUM.

I think another thing that is interesting to see is that the alcohols with a boiling point higher than ethanol are included in the foreshots. I know the reason why, but it is still interesting to see that it pans out with the numbers.
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

i think the link from stillton has some spam thing attached to it. the ad box follows my curser and i can't open the mum file. realy wierd.gman
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

glassman wrote:i think the link from stillton has some spam thing attached to it. the ad box follows my curser and i can't open the mum file. realy wierd.gman
I didn't have a problem with it, but I've tricked out Firefox with every adblocking addon known to man. I think I see a very different internet to most people :lol: (adblock plus is the pick of the bunch, IMO)
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

glassman wrote:i think the link from stillton has some spam thing attached to it. the ad box follows my curser and i can't open the mum file. realy wierd.gman
There's a "close" tab on that box, then you have to wait for the counter to finish before you get the file.

I'll try attaching it here, but I don't know if the forum software allows PDF files...
Attachments
25 Litre - MUM WASH (originals and international version).pdf
(83.82 KiB) Downloaded 1698 times
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Wow... I've had that MUM WASH hybrid recipe opened on this machine since the PDF was posted and just now got around to reading it through... It sounds almost toxic from the amount of 5 tsp fertilizer, 4 tsp epsom salt, and 2 vitamins in a 4 gallon wash... And with only what I'm guessing to be about 14 grams of yeast...

Halve those ingredients and double the yeast and you'd have a recipe that would perform better... The goal is to attempt to attain a complete ferment using the least amount of chemical nutrients... I'm getting 3 day ferments with far less...
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

I've had a couple of requests via PM asking if people can copy these results to other forums.

I have no problem with that, so please feel free. I'm glad that they were useful to people.
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

Has anyone ever had lab tests run on an all-bran or gerber?
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

""""Has anyone ever had lab tests run on an all-bran or Gerber?""""
Why Certainly.. ya just run right down to your local PD and give them all the details of your setup,,,,,
and they'll come and help you right out.
(bring samples it helps)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Breathalyzer tests will show that you can get just as drunk off them as any other form of alcohol... I'm not speaking from personal experience, however...

I don't know where one would go here in the US to have less than legal spirits tested... Perhaps a less than official university lab...???
manu de hanoi
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by manu de hanoi »

thanks for sharing the results here are mine :
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6749
Photonic
Novice

Post by Photonic »

manu de hanoi wrote:thanks for sharing the results here are mine :
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thanks, I saw your thread and it encouraged me to get on and get mine checked :)
Midday Moon
Novice

Post by Midday Moon »

I don't get the supposed advantages of recipes like MUM. Avoiding chemical poisons and corporatist oligarchy is why I got into home made hooch in the first place. Why would you ever willingly put petrochemicals and Walmart pharmapseuticals in your wash!!! I also don`t get it because I`ve never had a problem fermenting a sugar wash with straight up bayanus yeast. I have used store bought vitamin yeast nutrient sometimes, though I find that rose hips work better. I would never use miracle grow poison in my garden - put it in my hooch... I`m shocked.
Midday Moon
Novice

Post by Midday Moon »

...shocked enough I forgot to thank Photonic for the analyses. Thank you; that`s some good work I`ve been wondering about for a while. Nice to see some numbers.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I'd love to see a comparison between which ever home made recipe and a bottle of store bought likker.

Due to the headaches from the store I'm thinking the results would show cleaner alcohol from a birdwatch etc recipe ran in a pot still.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I think there was a govt study in oz. some gooberment zealot wanted to show how dangerous HD stuff would be. The results were the commercial stuff was worse than the HD stuff. Amazingly there was absolutely nothing said about this study in the oz gooberment committee meetings.

I am not sure where that story was at. Possibly some other member has read it, and remembers. It may have been at tastylime

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Doesn't Bagasso refer to it somewhere?
I do all my own stunts
EDragon
Novice

Post by EDragon »

This is great, thank you!
As someone who started out with an Air/Turbo Still, and still uses it from time to time, I find this fascinating!
ED
Fidget
Novice

Post by Fidget »

Barney Fife wrote:Great to have hard numbers, but don't just look at the methanol, boys. Looks at the acetone numbers! Helluva lot more in the fores. 4 times more, in fact. 10 times more iso-butanol, nearly 10 times more iso-amyl alcohol, 35(THIRTY FIVE!) times more ethyl acetate, and so on and so forth. All of those are nasty, some nastier than methanol. YOU can keep your fores if you wish, but I'm not interested in the headache, tremors, puking, and paint thinner flavor, thank you very much. It may not kill you outright, but you may wish you were dead the next morning :lol: :lol:
More awareness needed on this for sure.

Barney Fife wrote: Seriously; methanol is what we are lead to believe is the nasty by-product of poor distillation practices, but there's an awful lot more ingredients that make up the nasties in the foreshots. It's just easier for the local news to say "Local man goes blind from drinking homemade moonshine that contained methanol". That doesn't make the newsguy right, does it?

Well said!
hoochlover
Swill Maker

Post by hoochlover »

Barney Fife wrote:Seriously; methanol is what we are lead to believe is the nasty by-product of poor distillation practices, but there's an awful lot more ingredients that make up the nasties in the foreshots. It's just easier for the local news to say "Local man goes blind from drinking homemade moonshine that contained methanol". That doesn't make the newsguy right, does it?
Methanol gets the most news because of its history and the fact the others are usually much less produced. I would think most home made distilleries using reflux columns would produce less toxins than pot stilled commercial whiskeys or something like this. Even a lot of the home guys on pot stills would probably take more care than the industrialists out to maximize profit. It's always a problem when it comes to scale and one reason I think craft breweries and distilleries are growing these days.

People like to be more connected to the products they are consuming. If you can personally meet the guy who is making your whiskey and something goes wrong you have a face to put to the problem, which in turn makes that guy take more care and feel more responsible. If Jonnie Walker screws up a batch you get a coupon to the liquor store and a statement on a website or in most cases, it just goes unrecognized or is uncared about.