All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rad14701
retired

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by rad14701 »

FlyboyTR wrote:Rad,
I have followed this thread since the beginning. I know that there have been many changes along the way. I have read that...."I tried this....I added this..." etc. Could I ask you to summize the (your) "final " recipe for the All Bran...sort of the best of the best? Thanks!

FlyboyTR :D
Sure can, FlyboyTR...

Scale up in linear fashion...

Recipe

Per Gallon (4 Liters) of 14.1% ABV wash

* 4 cups sugar (1000 ml, 2 pounds, 1 kilo)
* 1 cup whole All Bran flakes (250 ml)
* 1/2 teaspoon boiled yeast component
* 1/2 teaspoon 20-20-20 fertilizer (substitute 1/4 teaspoon epsom salt if afraid of fertilizer)
* 2 tablespoons yeast (Fleischmann's dry active yeast works fine up to 14.1% with this recipe)

Process

* Invert sugar with an equal volume of water for 30 minutes
* Simmer cereal with double the volume of water for 30 minutes
* Mix the invert sugar, cereal, and boiled yeast component
* Top off fermenter and allow wash to cool to 95F
* Pitch yeast and 20-20-20 and aerate for 1 minute (additional aeration optional)

Notes

* This process yields a fully fermented and cleared wash within 72 hours at 78F/26C
* The wash can be pot stilled for flavor or refluxed for clean neutral spirit
* Not using 20-20-20 or boiled yeast will increase lag time and extend fermentation time
* Full krausen within 15 minutes is not uncommon
* %ABV options by volume (Cups per Gallon) are: 4C/G = 14.1%, 3.5C/G = 12.3%, 3C/G = 10.6%
* Adding more cereal will potentially impart more flavor (experiment with more or less)

That's all... It's just that simple...
Last edited by rad14701 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyboyTR
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FlyboyTR »

Rad,
Thanks for the summary! ...sincerely appreciated. :D

Is there any advantage to using the 20-20-20- versus the Epsom Salt?
FlyboyTR
Lower Alabama
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

the fertilizer is for nitrogen,you also can use DAP.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

What Dndrhead said... 20-20-20 contains epsom salt as well as nitrogen, phosphorus, and several other minerals... Epsom salt aids in the absorption of nitrogen and phosphorus...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The wash that I had started on Nov. 4th., 5 days ago, finished fermenting within 72 hours and had cleared within 80 hours... And, truth be told, I used 1 cup All Bran and 1/2 cup Corn Flakes because I didn't have enough All Bran... Perhaps it would be possible to use even less... Now to decide whether to strip or reflux...
FlyboyTR
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FlyboyTR »

Starting two 6 gallon washs as I type. Waiting on the sugar to invert on the second batch. For the bran flakes, I used the Walmart brand, Great Value, Bran Flakes Cereal. Its vitamin and mineral content was real close to All Bran. It was $1.67 per box and it worked out to 10 cups per box.

The only fertilizer I could find that was anywhere close...was an Ironite brand, 12-10-10. Man....that stuff STINKS! :esurprised: I also got a box of Epsom Salt. I'm just not sure which I will use! ....Am I correct in assuming one will work as effectively as the other? With the 12-10-10 fertilizer...do I need to double the ammount to get close to 20-20-20? Thanks again! :D
FlyboyTR
Lower Alabama
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

FlyboyTR, I'd just try the 12-10-10 at the same rate as 20-20-20 for the first go and hold off on the Epsom Salt as the 12-10-10 most likely has some in it already... Yeah, some of those fertilizers really have an off smell to them...

Good find on that Wal-Mart Great Value brand... I'll take a swing by the Wal-Mart down the street to see about trying a box for comparison purposes...

Good luck...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I have been buying the/a generic version of All Bran from my local market.

Nutritional values are almost the same. I am only adding multi vites to augment the cereal's potential lack there of.

I have not felt the need to push futher. All of my ferments (cereal) finish nice and dry.

My only stalled batch was the vitamin/Propel water experiment.

Just FYI
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
FlyboyTR
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FlyboyTR »

rad14701 wrote:FlyboyTR, I'd just try the 12-10-10 at the same rate as 20-20-20 for the first go and hold off on the Epsom Salt as the 12-10-10 most likely has some in it already... Yeah, some of those fertilizers really have an off smell to them...

Good find on that Wal-Mart Great Value brand... I'll take a swing by the Wal-Mart down the street to see about trying a box for comparison purposes...

Good luck...
Thanks Rad! What does the boiled yeast do? Does it just supplement the live yeast as a nutrient or something? ...Also...the 12-10-10 does not contain urea nitrogen...it's the other type.
FlyboyTR
Lower Alabama
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

FlyboyTR wrote:
rad14701 wrote:FlyboyTR, I'd just try the 12-10-10 at the same rate as 20-20-20 for the first go and hold off on the Epsom Salt as the 12-10-10 most likely has some in it already... Yeah, some of those fertilizers really have an off smell to them...

Good luck...
Thanks Rad! What does the boiled yeast do? Does it just supplement the live yeast as a nutrient or something? ...Also...the 12-10-10 does not contain urea nitrogen...it's the other type.
Yes, the boiled yeast is additional nutrient for the pitched yeast... Yeast are a cannibalistic bunch... Some of my most violent ferments have had way more boiled yeast than needed...

Glad to hear that the 12-10-10 uses non-urea based nitrogen... The 20-20-20 I use is also urea-free...
FlyboyTR
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FlyboyTR »

Wash temps just hit 95. I'll wait another hour and then pitch the yeast and the fertilizer. Thanks again! :D
FlyboyTR
Lower Alabama
Orange79
Novice

Post by Orange79 »

I was wondering if anyone has thought of using organic rye flakes (http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_ ... #nutrition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow)
in combination with the All Bran flakes in this recipe. I don't think it would enhance the nutrients, but might add to the flavor profile?
Anyone have any thoughts?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Orange79 wrote:I was wondering if anyone has thought of using organic rye flakes (http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_ ... #nutrition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow)
in combination with the All Bran flakes in this recipe. I don't think it would enhance the nutrients, but might add to the flavor profile?
Anyone have any thoughts?
It might be worth a try, as would using more All-Bran... It never hurts to experiment as that's the only way recipes improve...
rumlover
Novice

Post by rumlover »

Yo Rad..Do you think this recipe would be a good for making a rumsky by subbing some molasses for some of the sugar. I realize it would have a light rum taste, but, that is what I prefer.I am not a rum purist by any means and I hate the spiced shit. To me, most of the rums on the market taste spicy and the spiced rums even more so.
AKA Pappy Dan

When I read about the evils of liquor, I quit reading (Paul Hornung)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

rumlover, I'm with you on not liking spiced rum... You either like it or you don't... I don't...

Sure, the All-Bran would definitely contribute additional nutrients without offsetting the rum notes, and might even help enhance those notes somewhat... It would surely be worth a try... I'd be interested in hearing how such an experiment turned out and I'm sure others would as well... I've been steering clear of rum washes due to the overwhelming smells they produce while fermenting in my small apartment...

Go for it...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I installed Gerber into one of my panella (reduced cane juice) batches.
and an All Bran quantity into another.

I liked it a lot. and she fermented only slightly slower than the typical cereal wash.

This was one of the bottles from that series
Attachments
Bottle-o- Shine.jpg
rumlover
Novice

Post by rumlover »

[quote="LWTCS"]I installed Gerber into one of my panella (reduced cane juice) batches.
and an All Bran quantity into another.

Did either one work better than the other..?

I liked it a lot. and she fermented only slightly slower than the typical cereal wash.

What was the ferment time
AKA Pappy Dan

When I read about the evils of liquor, I quit reading (Paul Hornung)
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I don't take notes but it was prolly 4, no more than 5 days.

I think the All Bran was the better of the two. But I am more partial to All Bran across the board.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I'm just gonna have to try this. Never seen Allbran flakes, but I'll try the original Allbran stick thingys.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

blanikdog wrote:I'm just gonna have to try this. Never seen Allbran flakes, but I'll try the original Allbran stick thingys.

blanik
You may know it as Total Cereal in Australia... It has several name brands... I don't know that I've ever eaten the twig style but I've seen it...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Also remembered that I put about 2 tbl spoons of Metamucil in the Gerber batch I think.

Pretty hot ferment as I recall.
Attachments
Metamucil Ferment 001.jpg
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

I am sure that is a healthy clean ferment.

But it looks kinda like the inside of my septic tank when it is due to get pumped out. :mrgreen:
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hey,,,didn't you blast me with a terrible joke like that the first time I posted that pic?

Recon I should get some new pics.

Edit- Nope wasn't you Hook. It was jsanders and it was 4tbl spoons.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

HookLine wrote: ... But it looks kinda like the inside of my septic tank when it is due to get pumped out. :mrgreen:
Geez Hook, I was gonna say it looked like inside my toilet bowl after imbibing excessively, but I forced myself to be polite. I'm talking about my younger days of course. If I saw it now I'd be shit frightened. So to speak.

It is a nice ferment though. :)

blanik
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Well I did it today. I used the original Allbran stick type things and I have to report that it reminded me of the days we hosed down the milking shed, but didn't have the same odour. It sure as hell ferments well with DAP and Epsom salts. I'm sorta scared of fertilizer, besides it looks like a foaming, fertilizer wash. :)

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Will you run it twice? Or just a single?
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I usually only do a slow single run unless I'm doing Eau de Vie, but I'll decide later I guess as this is my first attempt. What do you reckon LW?

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I ran it on a single once to see. I liked it.

But it ain't no fruit wash.

I much prefer twice through. Cleaner, crisper.
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

Well I finally have the afternoon off of work, so I figured ill try this recipe out here. Just going to do a little 20L batch, as its all the table sugar I have on hand. So, will see how this goes..... Then try a real sized batch out...
I was sober this morning, 'til I woke up this afternoon
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

LWTCS wrote: ... I much prefer twice through. Cleaner, crisper.
Thanks LW. Looks like a strip and spirit run.

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.