All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kazanas
Novice

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by kazanas »

Yesterday, I tried a 3 gallon sugar wash, From Rad resipy.
But instead of Gerber or All Bran cream, I put the one in the foto.
24 hours now, and blows like a SCANIA V8
pomiataa
Bootlegger

Post by pomiataa »

Thank you RAD for posting the ingredients of the (All Bran Breakfast) cereal.
I couldn’t find here the Gerber in Canada. The All Bran was labeled (original) instead of (breakfast).
original.jpg
When comparing the ingredients I noticed that some of the vitamins were stripped in the Canadian version.
Perhaps Canadians need fewer vitamins :lol:
Here I am posting you the difference between the two.
difference.jpg
difference.jpg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
I made a 4 liter wash according to your recipe (sugar, all bran and yeast). Then reflux stilled it, and get something with a bit of apple smell/taste. It was pleasant, but I didn’t know if it is normal since it was my first all bran wash.

Then I found at the drugstore a natural multivitamin and decided to add it to the all bran recipe. I also added a bit of energizing yeast nutrients just in case.
vitamins.jpg
Here is what I did:

4 liter
1Kg sugar (inverted).
150 mL All Bran Original (simmered for 30 min).
1 Tablet Jamie’s multivitamin (crushed).
½ teaspoon (2 mL) energizing yeast nutrients (found them in the beer/wine making store).
30 gr Fleischmann's dry active yeast.

The bubbles are coming very fast from the airlock (2 bubbles / sec). I am still waiting for the fermentation to end. I’ll post the results.

I’ll appreciate your opinion on my modification.

Also, I always wandered:
Can a good, or acceptable tasting alcohol be dangerous if something is wrong with your recipe or fermentation? Even if you made the proper cuts.
If you care for life on earth - never do something, which makes someone very rich.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

pomiataa wrote:Can a good, or acceptable tasting alcohol be dangerous if something is wrong with your recipe or fermentation?
What do you mean specifically???

This recipe is really hard to stuff up.

Unless you were getting mad scientist radiation crazy on this recipe, I can't see how you could do anything other than a run of the mill alchohol poison on yourself. And that would not have anything to do with the recipe.

Even if you got a bug,,, I recon dunder would tell ya to run it and drink it.

I recon a safely constructed still is most important when considering toxins or the like.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

hum, if you want to see something, look up what is in a rum wash,, some bactera that is in it is down right poison.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

pomiataa wrote:Thank you RAD for posting the ingredients of the (All Bran Breakfast) cereal.
You're very welcome... I figured it would come in handy...
pomiataa wrote:I’ll appreciate your opinion on my modification.
Just keep us posted on the progress... You surely have not over done the nutrients based on the overall lower percentages in your cereal...

Also, were those percentages corrected to 1/4 cup volume the same way mine were...???
pomiataa wrote:Also, I always wandered:
Can a good, or acceptable tasting alcohol be dangerous if something is wrong with your recipe or fermentation? Even if you made the proper cuts.
Most bad stuff, at least what you find in most foods and food safe fertilizers, stays behind during the distillation process... That isn't to say that there can't be exceptions... When in doubt, leave it out (if possible)...
pomiataa
Bootlegger

Post by pomiataa »

Also, were those percentages corrected to 1/4 cup volume the same way mine were...???

The percentages are based on ½ cup serving (36g)
However, you are right. The final result counts.
I’ll keep you informed of the progress.
To me it is interesting if I’ll get the same light apple aroma/taste with my modification. It is not bad, but for neutral vodka I’ll have to get rid of it.
If you care for life on earth - never do something, which makes someone very rich.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

""From another point of view - mash/wash is just spoiled food ""
not to me. more like "converted" spoiled to me whould be unedible.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Are we still talking about All Bran?

Has any one here ever used anything in an All Bran batch that could be questionable?

Recon I'm feeling a bit literal at this moment in time.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

LWTCS wrote:Has any one here ever used anything in an All Bran batch that could be questionable?
Just 20-20-20 fertilizer, which is used for vegetable growth both in soil and hydroponics yet imparts no harmful residuals into the final product... But I sure wouldn't eat the stuff because it could give you the shits...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

rad14701 wrote:Just 20-20-20 fertilizer, which is used for vegetable growth both in soil and hydroponics yet imparts no harmful residuals into the final product... But I sure wouldn't eat the stuff because it could give you the shits...
I thought thats what I have been gleaning (among other things) from this site.

And I beleive we had discussed this recipe and it's variations for 9 or 10 pages now with no mention of any glitches.
pomiataa wrote:Can a good, or acceptable tasting alcohol be dangerous if something is wrong with your recipe or fermentation? Even if you made the proper cuts.
With regard to All Bran (among other recipes), I just figured a resounding NO when following directions.
autotech
Novice

Post by autotech »

Finished running 2/25l all bran wash yesterday,all when nice :D . Pot stilled 2x and then 1 reflux,when pot stilling very noticeable cuts even on 1st pot run,made some cuts on 2nd run and then refluxed,very nice!!! came off at 95%,cuts very easy to make,harts sweet taesting,this is a very friendly recipe.Same recipe as before omit 20-20-20 for 1-2 tsp of yeast energizer(per 20-25ls) and just pinch of salts.takes 5days to start clearing,rack for 2-4 more days @40 deg f smells sweet like pinapples.got 3 more 20l washes going now of aldi's all bran flakes,looks like there going good. lernt alot with this wash,very easy and beats the hell out of any turbo wash that i have used. (only 2!!!!) :( :x :evil:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Glad to hear about the successful runs, autotech... Gotta love the simplicity...
billy,hill
Novice

Post by billy,hill »

if i used dap insted ot 20-20-20 how much dap do i use per gal???
82 and burnin blue....a slave to the drip
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Although the use of extra nutrients have been dicussed and no doubt used for this recipe, it is not really needed.

I recon I could do 2 ferment (20 liter)cycles a week with just sugar, all bran, yeast and water.

I can't imagine needing more than a 1/2 teaspoon (if that) of any additional nutrients.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I've been using a conservative 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon with 1/4 teaspoon being the most commonly used measurement whether adding epsom salt or 20-20-20... All both do is speed the ferments which will finish just fine if either or both is omitted from my personal experience...

The above information is based on repeated tests of both All Bran and Gerber and holds true for both recipes... Having achieved no fermentation improvement with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon I have settled on using 1/4 teaspoon per gallon as my standard measure... Additionally, I generally skip using additional epsom salt when using 20-20-20 because it (Magnesium Sulfate) is already an active ingredient within the fertilizer I use...
billy,hill
Novice

Post by billy,hill »

these are the nutrients i have on hand,,,
biotin nutrient (label says 1/2tsp per gal)
fermaid k (label says 1g per gal)
D.A.P. diammonium phosphate (lable says 3/4tsp per gal)
epsom salt magnesium sulfate u.s.p. (1/4tsp is good y'all say)
so with that said...
what should i use instead of 20-20-20???
one or the other or just a 1/4tsp of everything
p.s. I'm gonna run this in a reflux unit and try for a neutral with this one

i thank you for the help
it is greatly needed,
:econfused: billy,hill :?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

billy,hill, using a little of all of those might be overkill but a small amount of any one or all of them would help speed things along... I wouldn't go beyond 1/4 teaspoon of each if you're gonna try all of them... All Bran will ferment just fine without additional nutrients... I just suggest using them to help speed things along... Some of use are impatient...

Feel free to try combinations and post your results... My goal has been to come up with recipes that don't require specialty nutrients, which I have successfully done, but optional modifications are worth noting if well researched... Knowing how much of what makes a specific difference is the key to good recipe development and modification... I'm continually refining my recipes, but with small individual changes from a base point so I know if something helps, hinders, or makes no difference in performance... That's what makes this craft/hobby fun for me...

Good luck...
Last edited by rad14701 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
billy,hill
Novice

Post by billy,hill »

i will start this saturday and inform y'all bout me progress
rad,
dude you are awesome
one thousand thank yous :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
billy,hill
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

Well, this has turned out ot be one of my favorite recipes to date. I modified and ran a little less sugar. Shot for about 11%, well actuall, I did my math wrong (scaled it to do a bigger ferment). But this was the frist time I wasnt pushing my yeasts to their upper limit. And found that this produced one hell of a smooth alcohol.

Im not sure if this was due to the lower alc or that it was the recipe itself. Im gonna have to try and do that one again.

I found that I could push this one fairly deep into the tails and it added nicely to the finished product. Ive only ran this through my still without refluxing. The damn canadian winter makes it a bit of a pain runnin hoses outside. as well as having to be outside with my propane powered burner. Gotta get on that electric keg.... Or have been looking at some of bokabobs and rikus aircooled setups.

nother good one, thanks dnder
I was sober this morning, 'til I woke up this afternoon
billy,hill
Novice

Post by billy,hill »

this recipe is golden all steps are easy and finshed sprit is dam good
3x carbon filtered,aired a day and got SMASHED!!!!

WOO HOO i did it
thanks rad :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Well damn Billy Hill,
I wish you'd have said all that and left out the "TRIPLE" filtering. Did you try it before any of the filtering? Did you try it between any of the filtering? You're not helping those of us that are dragging along on the coat tails of those that did, alst the while trying to get enough learnin' and such to get on our on two feet and make a go of it. If'n I had to guess, it appears yuz lookin for the shortest route 'tween two points and went for it. If yuz goin' to da trouble of making it, at least taste it on the way down.

Good for you if you made something your happy with. Have you tried any other recipes yet? Good luck and keep on keepin on.

WW
billy,hill
Novice

Post by billy,hill »

if i wasn't impatient and let it air real good or aged it properly it would been even better
i just didnt want to wait!!!
man taste it i did bout six ways from sunday as soon as i thoght the heads(after the foreshots) were off
I WAS TASTEIN
i defintaly used all eight sences in the run(taste,touch,smell,taste,sight,sound,E.S.P.and taste)
the carbon just smothed it out real good and dam quick
best yet for sure.i think ill stick with this recipe for a few runs and try and get a few bottles saved up
then ill switch it up you know what thay say if it aint broke...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Glad to hear about your successful run, billy,hill, but lets not get overly enthusiastic...

It sounds like the next step is for you to slow down from giddy schoolgirl mode and learn how to run your still properly so you can skip the carbon filtering... I honestly don't recall anyone else needing to take such drastic measures in order to get good product from this recipe, with perhaps one possible exception...

Also, just making spirits so you can haphazardly chug them down isn't what this hobby is all about... You can do yourself and others some real harm if you drink raw spirits in excess without knowing the proof of those spirits or haven't made proper cuts... You need to drink responsibly and assess the qualities of your spirits so you can make improvements to subsequent runs... This recipe isn't intended to be a simple means to an end, it is meant t be used as a learning tool...

Sure, be joyful, but also be responsible and safe... Don't show cause for us to wonder whether or not you're old enough to be here...

Good luck...
takewarning
Novice

Post by takewarning »

I made a 4 gal mix I used a bran and some gerber and some corn meal and some other stuff that was not name brand.. I added sugar, and brown sugar now the mash is looking great and bub-bling really nice rad I am glad you started this it is more simple than the way I was doing before I joined this site... this will be my first run on this I will let you know....
Attachments
P1010001.JPG
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Rad (or others),

Quick question: Do you stir daily or just leave it alone once it starts?

Braz
Braz
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Never touch mine after it kicks in.

Co2 rising from the bottom offers a "self stir".

Ever notice how quickly the wash will clear (when completed) after degassing?
Thats because with no rising Co2, the solids will not get re-suspended or remain in suspension by rising gas bubbles.

Have a look.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Braz wrote:Rad (or others),

Quick question: Do you stir daily or just leave it alone once it starts?

Braz
I no longer fuss like a mother hen over my washes and they do just fine... If the recipe is right from the start it shouldn't require additional fussing... I don't touch mine again until it's been done for a day or so...
statekling
Novice

Post by statekling »

Can you use dry ale yeast with this and get similar results?
wkcrawler
Novice

Post by wkcrawler »

so do i still it on the seventh or sixth day or just when it stops bubbling?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

@statekling

I have never tried dry ale yeast myself but perhaps someone else has and can comment... It surely wouldn't hurt to give it a try... If you do try it, please report back with your findings...

@wkcrawler

You don't gauge when to run your wash by days... As with any wash you need to wait for the fermentation to stop, allow the wash to clear, and then rack off and run... It doesn't help to rush the process as you could end up with off tastes and smells, or even foaming...