Hello + a few Questions

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

diyftw
Novice

Hello + a few Questions

Post by diyftw »

Hello everyone, i want to start by saying this is a great forum. it seems that there are a lot of very seasoned craftsman posting here. to that end i have a few questions.
I am very interested in stilling, as i am an avid brewer of all grain beer and scratch wine. the catch is that i have very limited talent when it comes to fabrication, therefore i am considering purchasing http://www.milehidistilling.com/32_Quar ... /16035.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow this still.

From what i can tell it looks like a solid unit even if it does break the holy rule of using plastic/rubber in a still. I can buy a copper cap for the top to replace it. Besides this, does anyone have experience with this still, or company? I used the search function milehidistilling and realize a few people have purchased products from them. I couldnt find any verdict on the actual stills though.

Also if anyone has any advice or wisdom to impart in regards to other stills im all ears.

Thanks for the help
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello + a few Questions

Post by Kentucky shinner »

I am sure this is a well made product. If you buy that you need to be sure you use some copper packing in the column. I am sure if you contact the guy from Milehigh, Mike I think is his name, he would put you a cap on the end for the thermometer to fit in and remove the rubber bung. I personally have never bought a still from here but I have bought many supplies from them and am pleased with what I have used.
I guess if i had no fabricating skills or the tools, I would consider buying from them but only if the hot chick came with it.. :wink:
KS

PS How about stopping by the welcome center and give us a brief introduction to yourself.
decomissioned
Novice

Post by decomissioned »

Hello diyftw, welcome to the boards. There is a ton of info here, so the first stop to any question should be the search feature in the top right corner. It can be a bit tricky at times, but it will usually get the job done. There was post just a week or so back about this same unit which you can see here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=17396 I have the 3 gallon version myself. It comes with the copper mesh (and ceramic rings as well), so to KS's advice above, you'd have all you needed included.
diyftw
Novice

Post by diyftw »

Hey Erasai, i had done a search before i posted. Unfortunately(as my wife would tell you) i am also horrible at finding things. lol

Thanks for that link btw, i did call mike at milehi today and get some more info from him.

Im going to head over to the "welcome center" and say hi.

thanks boys