where can you get 2 inch copper pipe??

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chris2626
Novice

where can you get 2 inch copper pipe??

Post by Chris2626 »

I know Lowes says on there website you can get 2inch copper pipe from them but it says for this pipe not to exceed 100 degrees while then 1 inch pipe can go to like 350 degree F. If I can't get 2 inch can I then at least get a 2 inch to 1 inch reducer?? I ask because if I buy the keg clamp and all that mile high distilling sells for there kegs at least I can go with 1 inch pipe instead of 2. I've been told though 2 inch is better. So is the 2 inch pipe lowes sells safe to make a still with??

Thanks
Chris
SuburbanStiller
Swill Maker

Re: where can you get 2 inch copper pipe??

Post by SuburbanStiller »

I got mine from Lowe's and my boka came out great. Note, not all Lowe's carry it.

The downside of course is that they don't cut, so I had to buy 10 feet when I only used 5. If you're around the Portland area I'll sell you my spare 5 foot piece for cost.
LWTCS wrote:Recon i am an intermet lilker geek
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Chris2626 wrote:I know Lowes says on there website you can get 2inch copper pipe from them but it says for this pipe not to exceed 100 degrees while then 1 inch pipe can go to like 350 degree F.
This claim has nothing to do with the quality of the copper itself, it has more to do with the expected thermal expansion during its "intended" application... For our purposes the thermal expansion isn't going to create major problems...
Chris2626
Novice

Post by Chris2626 »

Thanks guys, this has really been bugging me and wasn't sure if it was safe to use or not. So if it is then I guess I'll be hunting down some 2 inch pipe then.

SuburbanStiller what did you pay for a 10ft stick of 2 inch??

Thanks
Chris
SuburbanStiller
Swill Maker

Post by SuburbanStiller »

10' x 2" = $185 :(
LWTCS wrote:Recon i am an intermet lilker geek
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

That's probably DWV copper pipe (Drain Waste Vent). It's the thinnest of all the various grades, and meant for open (not pressurized) systems for drainage, etc. The good part is...it's lighter than K, L, or M copper, and much cheaper — particularly in larger diameters. But, you might also need to buy DWV fittings. The standard fittings sometimes are too loose.

My local Homedepot carried "M" copper in 2" for about 135 for 10' 3 weeks ago. I got hung up for a few weeks before I could get back there with my pipe cutter to pick it up...and they had no more "M" but only carried DWV for 69 bucks for 10'. Evidently, it comes and goes depending on who is doing the ordering for their dept. Their internet catalog lists all of it being available. Locally, they tell me they don't carry it anymore. The DWV also had a warning on the side (I had never seen before) good up to 180F max temp. According to those that know...it's a pressure rating. Not to worry for our use. The bigger problem I had was...the $$$$ of fittings I already have for my builds..didn't fit well (very loose). So, I'll have to save this for use on some other project and find some 2" M or L copper. I know McMaster Carr always has it..but they charge a premium for it (I think 2" M is about 89 dollars for 60" (5').
Chris2626
Novice

Post by Chris2626 »

Usge wrote:That's probably DWV copper pipe (Drain Waste Vent). It's the thinnest of all the various grades, and meant for open (not pressurized) systems for drainage, etc. The good part is...it's lighter than K, L, or M copper, and much cheaper — particularly in larger diameters. But, you might also need to buy DWV fittings. The standard fittings sometimes are too loose.

My local Homedepot carried "M" copper in 2" for about 135 for 10' 3 weeks ago. I got hung up for a few weeks before I could get back there with my pipe cutter to pick it up...and they had no more "M" but only carried DWV for 69 bucks for 10'. Evidently, it comes and goes depending on who is doing the ordering for their dept. Their internet catalog lists all of it being available. Locally, they tell me they don't carry it anymore. The DWV also had a warning on the side (I had never seen before) good up to 180F max temp. According to those that know...it's a pressure rating. Not to worry for our use. The bigger problem I had was...the $$$$ of fittings I already have for my builds..didn't fit well (very loose). So, I'll have to save this for use on some other project and find some 2" M or L copper. I know McMaster Carr always has it..but they charge a premium for it (I think 2" M is about 89 dollars for 60" (5').

Thanks, I was at home depot a couple of days ago and only seen one inch but really haven't had the chance to go around to the mom and pope hardware stores around they usually will have some good stuff. Will try nad hit them up tomorrow and see what they have.
I may call home depot and lowes and see if they can at least order it for me if I can't find it around here but I think f I dig a little deeper I should find it.

I know of someone who is useing one inch but he says 2 inch would be better. What can yall tell me of the difference? Of course it would flow better, this guy that had the one inch his shine tasted pretty good.

185 for a 10 ft stick pretty dam high.

Thanks
Chris
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Chris2626, the largest copper that most Home Depot stores carry is only 1" but most Lowe's carry 1.5" and 2"...

The difference between 1" and 2" is that 2" has 4X the internal volume of 1"... While 1" may work for building a pot still it is less than desirable for a reflux column...
Chris2626
Novice

Post by Chris2626 »

Thank you
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Just a little tip...a pipe cutter that handles 2-4" is about 80-110 bucks. You can always cut it with a hacksaw..but hard to cut good and straight unless you use a miter frame of some kind. Most miter frames today only do straight/45 and 90 degrees. You can get a cheap one, as long as your pipe fits in it, and use that. Or you can make one yourself and use a good hacksaw. But, if you are looking at making a boka, etc., you might need to cut different angles. (like 30 degrees or so). Again, you can do this by hand, but it's not very steady. If you go to look at special compound miter hack saws that can do angles other than 45/90...they run 60-80 bucks or so. For that money, you can by a cheapo, small, compound table miter power saw, and a blade with small teeth to cut metal, and the head tilts to any angle you want. You can cut your larger pipe with it straight, or make any angle cuts you need, with control of depth.....for the same price you'd pay for a manual miter box OR a pipe cutter large enough for straight cuts. If you look at the cost of both together (Compound miter box/saw, and 2-4" pipe cutter), Its a no brainer cost wise to just buy a small compound miter saw that does all the above more accurately, and easier. The trick is...if you have the room/space for it and whether or not you need to travel with it or not.
Blue Ridge
Novice

Post by Blue Ridge »

Checked the local hardware store today and the price of type L 2" was $13.24US per foot. A well stocked hardware store maybe a better place to look than the large box stores.
Chris2626
Novice

Post by Chris2626 »

I called a couple places today and no luck well they told me to call back tomorrow which I will. Found a plumber supply place near me which will have to pass by tomorrow and see what they got.

I figure whatever size I use I'll just use a cut off wheel to cut the pipe. Put a pipe wrap on it draw a line and cut simple as that. Cut off wheels are great. I built my 4x8 trailer with one.