Scrubbers

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hutch-
Novice

Scrubbers

Post by Hutch- »

Was thinking of adding a copper scrubber in my 2" pot still column. Considering the 16" column is fully insulated, I'm not trying to induce reflux but add copper to the vapor path.
still crazy
Rumrunner

Re: Scrubbers

Post by still crazy »

As your column is insulated your vapor really isn't slowing down or starting to cool.
Adding the scrubbers will help slow down that rush of vapor too.
If it doesn't work you can always just take em out.
Add /subtract as needed tailor your output.
We do want to hear how this works. <<< all experimentation benefits to expand our already overloaded volumes of information
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Hutch-
Novice

Post by Hutch- »

I should also make clear, my goal is to remove impurities such as sulphur without stripping any flavor. I will give it a go during my next run - a molasses wash. I'm hoping that it doesn't slow down the vapor too much, I'm finally getting some nice fast runs.

On a side note, I recently begin running both stripping an spirit runs hard and fast through my pot still with great results. The collection rate is at least 6 ltr/hr, next time I'll measure. This goes against what I've been doing for years. The outcome is a much cleaner middle cut, with a more obvious and deeper tails cut. Plan to do the same for the rum, the difference being the addition of the scrubber. Might also remove the insulation from the short column, but one new variable at a time is probably best.

Normally I'd just experiment, but I plan to use a few bottles as Christmas gifts (white & spiced rum).
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If all you want to do is reduce sulphides then I'd place the scrubber low in the column rather than at the top where it would be more apt to induce reflux...
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Hutch:

I'm running a 2" pot still with a 48" insulated column. I run my spirit runs low and slow, just a stream with a twist. I've never tried a fast spirit run.

Please post back your results, I'm interested in learning from your test.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
Hutch-
Novice

Post by Hutch- »

Already tried the hard and fast run with great results as I mentioned. I had a good frame of reference making brandy, something I've done many times. This was the best by far with much clearer cuts, and a cleaner product. I was also able to run deeper into the tails. The only drawback is my condenser (1"x 22" liebig) could hardly handle the vapor. Solved that by placing a bit of copper scrubber at the output. I also just added a 5" twisted ribbon of copper at the top of the condenser which should help with the cooling.

This is my first molasses wash that I'll split into 2 batches - one with the scrubber at the bottom of the column, the second without. My biggest concern is how the scrubber might affect performance as I was collecting at least 6 liters/hr. The way I see it, a scrubber will either improve the product or have no affect at all. I suppose their's a chance it will strip some flavor by inducing reflux, guess I'll find out. I will post results once the molasses ferments out.