iFlute - 3" build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

banjo
Novice

Re: iFlute - 3" build

Post by banjo »

Update. Had a oxy/aceteline torch head for cutting and a #3 brazing tip given to me! No hoses or tanks yet though, gotta go clean a buddies garage for him this weekend and hopefully some will turn up. He thinks he's got some in there somewhere so no telling the condition of it all or the hoses or even if they're full but it's worth the effort. Any idea what it costs to have them purged and filled? Or if they have to be recertified in Cali to have it done? He's sure they're over 20 years old.

Other than that I've strted cutin and cleaning everything for the dephlegmater. It will be 9 half inch copper tubes inside of 3" and 6" long. Any thoughts on the size? I've also read them being plumbed for water flow both ways from top o bottom and bottom to top. I think I will plumb cold water to top and exhaust out the bottom. Let me know if this is incorrect please.

/bjo
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

banjo wrote: . . . . He gave me some general pointers and good advise about the fabrication of the whole thing.
Is it pointers you recon some of us poor meek and feeble sots may be able to learn a bit from? All insight is welcome.

The build is coming along awesome. I do very much miss not being able to get on every day but I do enjoy the build threads more :) .
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

spent a good chunk of the day yesterday diggin out my new toy from a friends garage...
IMG_0149.jpg
this morning I went out for a bit and started fooling around with it, I got out my hard solder and started putting the dephleg. together, got half of the innards of it soldered & she is one ugly girl as you can see. - this was my first legitimate attempt at this, shes dog ugly and I'm gonna have to re-heat two spots because I dont like how it looks, mainly because I dont know if ittl seal. I'll get more photos of it up when I finish the thing.
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

WalkingWolf wrote:
banjo wrote: . . . . He gave me some general pointers and good advise about the fabrication of the whole thing.
Is it pointers you recon some of us poor meek and feeble sots may be able to learn a bit from? All insight is welcome.

The build is coming along awesome. I do very much miss not being able to get on every day but I do enjoy the build threads more :) .
First thing was cleaning it until it all looks like shiny new gold before you start, I think we all know this and practice it but the way he sat there cleaning one little piece made me take note that he REALLY meant it. beyond that it was all pretty basic stuff, one thing that kinda threw me was how fast he went with the torch. I usually take my time heating up my pieces just because I really dont wanna mess one up & spend hours cleaning solder later, he heated a piece really quickly to soldering temp after cleaning and fluxxing and threw lots of solder at it. then when it was running out the other side of the joint he took the acid brush with flux on it & wiped it away & left a decent looking joint that would be easy to clean.

I learned more by just watching him and seeing what i do different. lots of it was "stuff you can get away with," because when you do this stuff for a living time is money and the faster and more consistant you are the more valuable you are. most of that stuff really isnt applicable here but is sure nice to know. He will be back to show me more about oxy/acetylene after I buy new smaller heads so i can work the copper. I'll be sure to take note of his copper expertise I post back the relevant stuff.

-B
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

Got my "0" brazing tip on friday and put it to work yesterday, dephleg is gonna be a b****... anywho. got some work done on it and it leaks, ill come back to it later and fix the rest of the leaks. took some 1/2" refrigeration tubing and started on my downcomers. tried bending it and for some reason I cant get this stuff to work without kinking. even when being as gentile as i can with it. I'm not willing to take the time to use sugar so, i said f-that and tried a new approach and here she is. I think it looks nice and will do the job. what do y'all think?
IMG_0156.jpg
and she dont leak!
and she dont leak!
I was thinking 3/4" liquid level on the plates. any suggestions or ideas on that?
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

damn fine work man.. You just keep impressing me.. true craftstman :clap: :clap:
sammybear
Novice

Post by sammybear »

So did it run yet? I'm excited to see how well it does :D
I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as...drinkin. I'm constantly drinkin.
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

I've actually stalled on working on it. I plan to Finnish it before harvest time this year for my grappa runs. This is the time of year my family and I go camping and to bluegrass festivals and every other week I'm either gone or working, I'll slow down within the next month an get her goin though.it's bugging me just sitting in the garage all the pieces cluttering up the place, not to mention the investment! I'll post back win progress as soon as I've got any.
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

ok, so I'm back. had life get in the way but I'm back on track now and hoping to catch up, heres the latest:

Decided I wasn't happy with how the solder joint looked on the fitted cutouts for the sight port holes so i took them apart and redid them with hard 15% silver solder.. I'm much happier with how it looks now(see photos), Ive taken before and after photos so y'all can see the difference. also got my plate tree together, I ditched the cool looking check mark looking downcomers and went with a straight piece of tubing ending in a standard cap... not the best looking but easy to make and it will work well. I soldered the cap onto the tubing and then grooved an indention around each of the downcomer tubes 3/4" from the top, then i took copper wire and went around each one after i put it through the plate and set it in a bit of water and heated it up just enough to put a dab of soft solder there to keep it in place(see photos). I hard soldered my 2" ferrule to the 2" and my 2x3" reducer to the body, also cut the main body to length and made a ring with grounding wire to make the dephlegmator detachable for tree access thats it for now, I hope to get the sight holes on the body and holes cut before tuesday to start making the flange at the top of the body and them move on to the dephleg. having had all this time to think about it my plans have changed a bit and I'm in the mood to finish this asap! outline as of now is to complete this within a week and a half(got a new job! more free time for me and mine).... any who, thats that.
new downcomer, melted too much tubing for my patience!
new downcomer, melted too much tubing for my patience!
stuck the downcomer though the plate and twisted wire to keep it at its proper level
stuck the downcomer though the plate and twisted wire to keep it at its proper level
see?
see?
was unhappy with this joint... wouldn't you be?
was unhappy with this joint... wouldn't you be?
am much happier with this joint!
am much happier with this joint!
tree is mounted on a 1/4" ss all thread with ss nuts double-nutted at the correct spacing.
tree is mounted on a 1/4" ss all thread with ss nuts double-nutted at the correct spacing.
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

I am thinking of staggering the sight glasses about 15 degrees for a different look. what do y'all think, straight line or staggered?
shess gonna look good!
shess gonna look good!
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Nice work mate.

If different is what you want, you'll get it staggering the glasses.

NO.

Not.

Dont do it!

It will look like a cross between some goofy kid with broken glasses, a lazy eye and a dogs hind leg. Fopar.

But thats just my opinion. You could twitch them in place with wire to get an idea, see if you like it.

Might, just might look ok spiralled, but I reckon its going to make checking plates a pain. BTW, I love your welding boots.

Nonetheless, I like your rig, cool plates!
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yes for so folks the site glasses are for cool factor. But they are a tool for running your rig and will be especially helpful while learning to run your rig..
you should mount them where you will get optimal viewing.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Welcome back.
I'd say straight line.
Keep up the good work!
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

Hahah I can see how it'd look cross eyed... I'll mock it u and see how she looks. Anyone know where to buy borosilicate glass in circles?

As far as my stylish Welding boots go : I hope everyone plays as safe as I do. With the stuff we do it easy to get hurt, burnt or poisoned if you're not safe and aware of what's happening around you and in the stuff we use. It's been sai before and said again, and I'm sure we all will keep sayin it to keep us with all out fingers and toes right where they're supposed to be. :lol:
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by emptyglass »

My local glazier will cut "heatproof" glass in circles for me.
I don't know if this is borosilicate, but its the stuff used in wood heaters. Its toughened and tempered. He assures me it will be tough enough and do the job.

About $12 each.

I don't know if a glazier could do the same for you.
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

right on, Ill check that out.. worse comes to worse I'm sure theres a frame and matting shop that can do it for me. to be honest I just don't want the hassle, I've dealt with glass before when i learned a bit about stained glass and i just don't have the touch for it. Im sure i could learn, but I'm not willing to invest the time when it will only be a one time thing.

heres the progress for tonight:
4 of 6  - i know she looks ugly now but please be kind!
4 of 6 - i know she looks ugly now but please be kind!
IMG_0339.jpg
if anyone ever tries doing this exactly like me... i have advise: aside from being neat and clean and safe etc. etc. etc. tack your sight glass assemblies to the body and let it cool, then check your plate tree tolerance. i have a very tight fit, maybe .005-.010" ish. i got this far and set it there to cool and came back and slid in my plate tree and she squeeealllled like a piggy... and then stopped, had to pull like a **** to get it back out. heres what to do: after tacking them in place check the tree, then do a little bit on the top glass assy. and recheck again at room temperature, this will ensure that you've got proper clearances when you need to get it in and out. if all is well, then continue on down the line. I'm too far along to go back and do this how I'm saying I will have to deal with all this in finishing work and fitment. it will all be ok in the end, I've got 3" to get in there and see what parts are rubbing on the body and vise a versa. the copper just expanded waaaaay too much with the heat, i imagine soft solder would not be anywhere near as drastic & i don't regret my decision for using hard solder(yet)...(i have a die grinder :roll: )... ok thats my peace.
sammybear
Novice

Post by sammybear »

I ran into that in my column as well, the plates that were supposed to be exact fit were really tight on some spots, and had gaps on other spots.

You live and learn I suppose :D
I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as...drinkin. I'm constantly drinkin.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Try soldering those last two from the inside (heat from the outside, apply solder on the inside)...it'll be a lot neater. ;)
also, just wanna throw this out for future builders....It IS possible to build a flute with just soft solder.
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

I tried in the first place hooch, just not enough light in the garage, & I'm not gonna ask Mrs. Banjo to come out and hold a flashlight for me! (and certainly not gonna attempt it blind with my skills.

Got a little further, all sight glass assembles on the body, then took the next hole size down i was comfortable with using and cut out the inside of the ports & set her on a keg... have to admit, she looks like she belongs.

have yet to make a dephleg, gonna make a new condenser- i will repurpose the one i made previously- and do some plumbing.

check out the progress:
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by emptyglass »

looking good mate.

Each weld gets better.

Wont be long now!
banjo
Novice

Post by banjo »

I havnt Been able to find much in the way of flute hybrids(or im not using the right terms)... I've been toying with the idea of making a boka-style slant plate built into the dephleg with its own take off port in addition to the normal dephleg & condenser setup. this way I have something to expiriment with after ive got her all dialed in and running, imagine building a flute but not having to build past the dephlegmator! gonna go clean up the body and do the easy flange now. might start on the dephleg later today. whatcha think?
Attachments
heres a really hastily drawn idea...
heres a really hastily drawn idea...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

bango, there is at least one plated Bokakob plated column being built right now... No dephlegmator, just a standard Bokakob dual slant plate head with coiled condenser and LM take off... It sounds like you just want to extend that to have both CM & LM...
hacksaw44
Novice

Post by hacksaw44 »

Wow. Very nice !!
Westsidesparky
Novice

Post by Westsidesparky »

This was a great thread; any more progress?