To clear or not?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Crunched
Novice

To clear or not?

Post by Crunched »

So I put down my first wash about 7 days ago. I decided to do a basic wash pretty much following the advice of the homebrew shop guy knowing that the first batch won't be the best by far. This way I can compare successive batches as I make changes for the better.

I used a Essencia Super 6 Ultra Pure yeast (http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) with 6kgs of dextrose in a total volume of 25L of water. Exactly as per the yeast packet instructions. I've been all-grain beer brewing for a few years now, so I know that packet instructions aren't usually the best places to take advice from, but as I said - I would do it as per kit/homebrew shop advice and then go from there.

Anyway, last night I added the clearing agent (the part A/B type) and this morning I'm wondering if I really need to wait the 24 hours or not...? I know this won't be a fantastic batch, so can I just start up the still today with it? I will be carbon filtering it after distilling.

I'd really like to just pump this batch out so that I can start the birdwatchers sugar/tomato/lemon wash!

Edit: I have a 25L Still Spirits still with the super reflux condenser.
blind drunk
retired

Re: To clear or not?

Post by blind drunk »

Don't forget to do a vinegar cleaning run and an ethanol sacrificial run as well. You should not drink your first run. You may have already done that ...
I do all my own stunts
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I try not to use a clearing agent. These are designed for use on fermented stuff you will drink. I am not sure what happens to the clearing agent at distilling temperatures.

Cold temperature and time are my solutions to this issue.
Crunched
Novice

Post by Crunched »

blind drunk wrote:Don't forget to do a vinegar cleaning run and an ethanol sacrificial run as well. You should not drink your first run. You may have already done that ...
What's a vinegar cleaning run? :|
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Crunched wrote:
blind drunk wrote:Don't forget to do a vinegar cleaning run and an ethanol sacrificial run as well. You should not drink your first run. You may have already done that ...
What's a vinegar cleaning run? :|
Better question... How much research have you done...???
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Crunched
Novice

Post by Crunched »

Ah yep, now I understand what this vinegar business is about. The still is actually one that has been used by the friend who gave it to me, but I still gave it a good clean last weekend and ran some cheap vodka through it to clean it out. I just didn't realise what this process was called.

I have done a bit of reading and learnt a lot from it, just unsure about this clearing agent. Reading up, it seems like not many use it.

My plan was to do a stripping run first and collect everything (in 6 equal sized jars), then after smelling/tasting/feeling each separate jars contents (for my distilling education), add them all together back into the still and do my spirit run (after throwing out the backset). I'll then discard the first 75mL (heads), keep the following spirit until my condenser temp hits 82*C (180*F), which should be the hearts and then I'll switch jars and keep the last bit of spirits to later add to my next batch (tails). I'll stop collecting once my temp hits about 89*C (193*F).

How does that sound?
Last edited by Crunched on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Don't forget to dilute your spirits to 40% or less before charging the still for the second run.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Crunched
Novice

Post by Crunched »

Prairiepiss wrote:Don't forget to dilute your spirits to 40% or less before charging the still for the second run.
Thanks Prairiepiss!
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

This may be useful to you with that still: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=11265
I have the same still and am trying the mods suggested as we speak. Also got a variable rate immersion pump and have it on recirc to save water. kinda handy if you want to run a CM still like this as efficiently as possible.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else: