Glass for sightglass

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

djc
Novice

Glass for sightglass

Post by djc »

What is the best source for glass to use in a sight glass?
Is there somewhere to order 2" precut circles?
Should I get a diamond hole saw and use window glasa?
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks
Dennis
Samohon
retired

Re: Glass for sightglass

Post by Samohon »

I know that the flute builders (Olddog, Kentucky Shinner, ect;) cut their own, they should chime in shortly..

I'm getting all the materials form my Flute build together atm and I will be cutting my own glass from a diamond hole saw and 4mm (float) window glass...
A drill-press will make this considerably easier...

Do a search for sight glass, Flute, ect;...

Hope it helps man... :wink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

There was talk in the flute thread about this subject. Many used the diamond hole saw. I think there was also talk of using watch faces. You could also get in vouch with someone who built theirs and get them to make a few.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I got mine off the shelf from a boilerhouse supplier. everything under the sun for steam boilers including

"Backend Sight Glasses"

They are used to look into the furnace part of the boiler. Try googling that phrase and see if there is a supplier in your area that deals with industial boilers. They do ship internationally too.

http://www.ibhs.co.uk/
coppercreature
Novice

Post by coppercreature »

Got mine from McMaster:http://www.mcmaster.com/#borosilicate-glass/=b1o3e9 - all different sizes available.
4" 4-plate flute and 2" 1.5m packed column, both with BOKA / VM head. Many stainless kegs of various sizes and configurations - TIG is my friend!
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Check out http://www.stpats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Click 'Sanitary Fittings/Valves'.

Once you're on that page you will find 'End Cap Window (aka Clear end cap)' just below where they show all their end caps. 2" glass sight glass caps for $9.00 each.

You can cut your own, but $9.00 isn't that bad.
condensificator
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by condensificator »

NineInchNails wrote:Check out http://www.stpats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Click 'Sanitary Fittings/Valves'.

Once you're on that page you will find 'End Cap Window (aka Clear end cap)' just below where they show all their end caps. 2" glass sight glass caps for $9.00 each.

You can cut your own, but $9.00 isn't that bad.
...would be AWESOME if they were glass....but, nope. they are plastic. i wasted the $9.00 so hopefully no one else will have to.

i dig the hole saw route. here's my solution: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=19973

some one else had p0sted this link a while back for lenses (flashlight replacements) http://www.dealextreme.com/c/flashlight ... ass%20lens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

my fav way is with the convex "watch glasses" that i found....see the bottom of this page: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=18624 i know that KS found a way to use the watch glasses with the std union type set up.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Image Sorry guys, I did not realize they were plastic.

I just now noticed that the page says "Max temperature 150° F".
moonshiner dave
Novice

Post by moonshiner dave »

I bought mine from Dealextreme. It takes a while to get the stuff though. Took about 2 weeks to get mine.
http://www.dealextreme.com/c/flashlight ... ass%20lens
The stone age didn't end due to a lack of stones
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

I have some of these on order:
http://www.aircomparts-air-compressors.com/p0021/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
... with any luck, I can fabricate the port with 1-1/4" type L copper tube, and then press the sightglass assembly into the port. Done.

NChooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

I have the glass pre-cut for sale on my website.
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Check with Kentucky Shinner at Hillbillystills.com He may have what you need.

I made mine from simple single strength window glass. The local hardware store gave me a small piece to work with. I cut them as close to a circle as I could with a glass cutter then ground them round. I have a diamond grinder so it was real easy and fast. Any place that does stained glass windows could do them for you.

A tile and marble store will have inexpensive diamond cutting blades or grinding discs that will work. It doesnt have to be a hole saw. Cutting blades for a 4” mini grinder have enough edge that you can grind the edge of flat glass. Just keep it wet. You could probably use a bench grinder for that thin of glass if you could wet grind with enough water.

MR

EDIT: KS beat me to the punch
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Kentucky shinner wrote:I have the glass pre-cut for sale on my website.
I have a set of diamond hole saws, thanks KS.
NChooch
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
DanielBoon
Novice

Post by DanielBoon »

Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions.
What an awesome group of people.
Since making my original post I realized there are several types of sight glasses, including those tubular ones that surround some plates (i.e. Stilldragon's "crystal dragon" series.
I found out mine is called a union sight glass – that is, the kind that goes into a union tee on a column. It's a flat plate of glass that allows you to view inside the column to see sieve plate/bubble cap action.
The glass is sandwiched between the column and a steel ring that screws down, holding the glass tightly between two silicone o-rings.
So essentially a flat, round piece of tempered glass 4.25" (108mm) in diameter, 0.5" (12mm) thick is what I need.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind. Casey Jones you better watch your speed.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

mash rookie wrote: I made mine from simple single strength window glass. The local hardware store gave me a small piece to work with. I cut them as close to a circle as I could with a glass cutter then ground them round. I have a diamond grinder so it was real easy and fast. Any place that does stained glass windows could do them for you.

A tile and marble store will have inexpensive diamond cutting blades or grinding discs that will work. It doesnt have to be a hole saw. Cutting blades for a 4” mini grinder have enough edge that you can grind the edge of flat glass. Just keep it wet. You could probably use a bench grinder for that thin of glass if you could wet grind with enough water.

MR
I made mine from plain old 4mm window glass using similar technique to Mash rookie . Same as Olddog .

I always fretted they might bust ,....not being borosilicate ,....but after over four years not a problem . My old 3mm window glass sight glasses in my VM/LM head are also still going after nearly 6 years .

I actually bought some Borosilicate ones from a supplier and they cracked :crazy:

Here's how I made mine
Yummy's Flute build
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Considering the work involved in making glasses, I doubt many make them these days. They are readily available from most of the better still part suppliers. I bought and fitted mine over 7 years ago now and have never had a problem with any of them.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Considering the work involved in making glasses, I doubt many make them these days. They are readily available from most of the better still part suppliers.
Totally agree Salty . Standard sizes to fit 2, 3, 4" ferrules are cheap and easy to get hold of :thumbup:.....and I would in hindsight recommend this approach :think:

Me being the awkward bastard I am decided to make some fancy arse non-standard sized sight glasses and had to make my own :roll:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote:and had to make my own :roll:
And a nice job you did of them too :thumbup: I think that the ones that I bought and used were some of the first of the commercially available ones made specifically for use on Flutes/Bubblers , If it hadn't been for those I would have been making my own too :wtf: ...glad I didn't have to.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I got mine from StillDragon,
I also up graded to the blue sight glass kits too.
I was using tri clamps before the upgrade. kept cracking glasses..... :oops:

download/file.php?id=55468&mode=view
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

McMaster Carr is a great source - that's where I got mine

OVZ