Adapting a portable camping stove.

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chr15uk
Novice

Adapting a portable camping stove.

Post by chr15uk »

Im still in the experiment stages of distilling and the way its going im not sure if the 'experimenting' bit will ever stop!

Im trying to do it on a budget as much as possible and try and use things i already own as apposed to buying in new bits incase it doesn't work out.

I have been using a gas camping stove to heat my 8 ltr pot.I wanted to use gas rather than hot plate as they are more responsive when adjusting temps and heat up quicker but obviously im racing though the little 220g canisters.

Is it possible to modify my stove to take a hose from a larger gas bottle or is this silly dangerous and i should just invest in a boiler ring to attach instead?or any better ways to heat my still?

Thanks.
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Adapting a portable camping stove.

Post by Coaster »

@ chr15uk,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes they make a ‘Kovea LPG Adapter’ but personally after reading up on this type of ‘Adapter’ I strongly advise against attempting to use this type of Adapter. Attempting to use lager tanks on your lightweight butane backpack cook stove overdrives the backpack cook stove putting more gas pressure to the backpack cook stove than it was designed to handle and can be dangerous.

Suggest considering a Propane Burner that uses a 25-gallon propane tank instead of attempting to modify your small lightweight butane backpack cook stove. There are numerous types of these a 25-gallon propane tank Burners and you should be able to find one that will meet your needs.

Regards,
Coaster
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I'm not sure where you are located? But you can get what's needed at Wal-Mart. I have use a distribution pole made by Coleman. It hooks to a 20lb bottle. You can put a lantern on top and it has 2 more connections you can use a extension hose from to run your stove with. I've had mine for going on 19 years. With no problems.

Liquid propane should provide the same pressure no matter what size tank it is in. The only thing that will increase the pressure in the tank. Is temperature of the tank. Cold will decrees it an warm will increase it. The LP will boil till it creates enough pressure to keep it from boiling.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Virtually every hardware and big box department store that carries propane grills has adapter hose kits around here...
chr15uk
Novice

Post by chr15uk »

hmm,ok,thanks guys.

So it is possible but not recommended.I will keep an eye out for something more up to the job i think.

cheers!

BTW im in north west England.
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

I believe there is a ‘confusion factor’ occurring here. Forum member chr15uk was making reference to a gas camping stove that uses ‘little 220g canisters’. These ‘little 220g canisters’ are Butane fuel – not Propane. These ‘little 220g canisters’ have entirely different type of connectors than the larger Propane Gas canisters have.

Two different kinds containers, using two different kinds of gas fuels, and two different types of gas fittings.

Regards,
Coaster
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Most camp stoves I have seen use propane cylinders. They do have specialty ones that do use butane. They are quite a bit more in cost. And most don't use them. But most of your popular camp stoves Coleman for one use the fat green propane cylinders that will also work for propane torches.

My old Coleman camp stove was actually a white gas stove. I bought a converter valve for the propane cylinders. And now use a 20 lb propane tank for it. But I do have some actual propane camp stoves that will work on it to. The old Coleman is just a better one for my use.

Now this info is mainly for a US consumer. Other countries may differ.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Coaster is correct a 220g cannister is a small butane cannister that would not work well for anything over a gallon or two run without having to change them out on a regular basis.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

My fault you are correct. The size of the canisters slipped buy me. Sory.

If that is the case? That will be a little tricky. And more then likely not doable.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Oneran
Novice

Post by Oneran »

I apologize for a bump...
I like the canister stoves. One pound propane type, and small isobutane. I also have lanterns that fit on both. Have been through several and kind of have a collection. The piezo sparker lighter on the one in Smashy's post is a very cool feature to look for. no worries about singeing your knuckles, or sparking a lighter or match... after finding said lighter or match.
I like an alcohol stove in a Swedish military kit because it is so quiet, and it just packs up so neatly. good gadgetry and utility. Also, took a tabletop-sized Weber BBQ grill https://bestoutdooritems.com/coleman-ro ... xe-vs-lxx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow for years, but I wouldn't recommend it for boiling water or cooking meals. You need briquettes, a way to light them, then they have to burn, go to coals, then you cook, then they have to be covered to go out, then the unit has to cool enough to handle. We always bagged the little grill in a trash bag, so no problems with ashes, coals, and such on the playa.

We finally gave it up, grilled the burgers at home, and used our camp stove to reheat the patties. Much more convenient.

An alternative suggestion for hot (but not boiling) water is to use a solar shower. They're unbearably hot during the day on the playa. If you're reconstituting dehydrated meals, I'd suggest trying water from a solar shower and see if that works off the playa before you really need it to work on the playa. Or try it on the playa if you're willing to have it fail to be hot enough.

HeaterMeals and similar companies make meals that can be heated in the box using powdered magnesium and salt water. Louise and I use them on occasions when we don't want to drag out the camp stove.

If you must have boiling water or a cooked meal quickly, I think CapSmashy has the best suggestion.
I like to watch YouTube videos of a similar subject when I'm looking for information about the right product. I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-g9gaPHw1A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Prairiepiss wrote:I'm not sure where you are located? But you can get what's needed at Wal-Mart. I have use a distribution pole made by Coleman. It hooks to a 20lb bottle. You can put a lantern on top and it has 2 more connections you can use a extension hose from to run your stove with. I've had mine for going on 19 years. With no problems.

Liquid propane should provide the same pressure no matter what size tank it is in. The only thing that will increase the pressure in the tank. Is temperature of the tank. Cold will decrees it an warm will increase it. The LP will boil till it creates enough pressure to keep it from boiling.

I was in Boy Scouts for almost 40 years. for the last 30 we used the Distribution pole with the hose.
If you are not going to need a lantern you can get hoses & adapters from most anywhere. & would save the cost of the pole.
Should be able to get the adapter & hose for less than $40.

Also if you are going to use larger 20# or larger LP tanks. It is much less expensive to go to a smaller town instead of in "the city".
I can get 2 20# tanks filled in a little town about 30 miles away for about $5 more than a single tank here at home. And I go there at least once a month anyway.