Beginner Q

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shiner153
Novice

Beginner Q

Post by shiner153 »

I have a small two gallon still that i recently built, and have been wondering how long it should take me to get done doing a run if i fill it 80% full? One other question is how full should i actually fill the pot?
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Beginner Q

Post by maheel »

i would try 3/4 full

time depends on many things
design
heat input
wash %
result wanted from you

run it and see is the best way

if it's a pot still allow about 4 hours i reckon
shiner153
Novice

Post by shiner153 »

Thanks i will give it a go tonight
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

More info needed. Whatcha makin? single or double stillin? Percent wash. How is your still made?
shiner153
Novice

Post by shiner153 »

Im making a simple corn whiskey, im single stilling i think lol (not real sure what that means but i can guess) and the percent wash is 12%. My still is a pot with a 20 ft 3/8" copper pipe that runs a few feet then i turned it into a worm that goes in a bucket that i am goin to fill with water.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

shiner153 wrote:Im making a simple corn whiskey, im single stilling i think lol (not real sure what that means but i can guess) and the percent wash is 12%. My still is a pot with a 20 ft 3/8" copper pipe that runs a few feet then i turned it into a worm that goes in a bucket that i am goin to fill with water.
First run is a stripping run and you just collect everything, maybe 2 hours. Second run is a spirit run and you run slower to not smear the different alcohols and make your cuts cleaner. Dilute to 40% abv it's just easier on the math. If your doing one run then heat up gently maybe 1/2 to one hour, at 2-3 drips a sec, collect the fores, toss or keep for charcoal lighter, then heads, keep a little if you want to blend in some, hearts, tails. Collect in small jars maybe baby food size, and number. Maybe four hours including clean up. Read about making cuts and be careful not to get any foreshots for drinking. They smell like nail polish remover. Wait till the next day to blend, you'll be more calm and have a better nose and palate.
shiner153
Novice

Post by shiner153 »

Oh ok thanks for the help
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

With my 2 gallon stove top rig, running electric, I can do a complete stripping run of 14% wash in 1.5 hours, from start to finish... The actual collection portion is in the 45 minute range... Spirit runs only require a marginal amount of additional time - perhaps 3 hours total... And when I say total that goes from taking the equipment out of storage to everything cleaned and stored away again... Your time efficiency may vary...
shiner153
Novice

Post by shiner153 »

It took me about 3 hours to finish my first run
bigwheel
Bootlegger

Post by bigwheel »

shiner153 wrote:It took me about 3 hours to finish my first run
Well hearty congrats on the good run. Now sounds like your doing this bizness on the kitchen stove maybe? Pack Mama and the chillins in the storm cellar when you get to cooking..lol. Or send them to Grannys house. All this re running stuff drives me crazy. I want to make some hooch and then drink it. Now I know to dump the foreskins and stuff like that. Its just like reloading bullets. Its a pain in the coola to mess with it but the end result is good. Works the same way on sausage and bbq. If you want the best plan on making it yourself.