Losing a son-in-law

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Losing a son-in-law

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Damn, it's tough, I have 4 daughters and no sons, so I have 4 son-in-laws and I got real lucky, they are all really good guys. But now my youngest daughter is getting divorced from my favorite one. He's one of my best huntin buddies, he's always there to help me lift a wall when I'm building something, there to help we put up firewood for the winter and just a really good guy, kina became my son, not to mention he is the father of my two youngest grand daughters, 5 & 3 and I had to go to family court on Wednesday and set on my daughters side of coarse. At the end of court I walked to the back of the court room and met "Matt" to just shake his hand and let him know I wasn't there to be against him, instead he reached out and gave me a big hug, understand we are men and don't do the hugin thing but that was the best hug I've had in a while. Oh well, just need to vent a little guys. OMD
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
Washashore
Distiller

Re: Losing a son-in-law

Post by Washashore »

Sorry to hear that OMD. Hopefully you can find a way to remain "friends"
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Real sorry to hear that as well OMD...
Way I see it, Matt is not only your son-in-law, but your friend/son, that should'nt change as long as there is no mud throwing...

Hard pill to swallow man, hope it all works out for the three of you... :ewink:

EDIT: Were not only a community of like minded hobbyists, we also care about whats going on in a personal basis.
Talking helps to clarify the problem and getting third party input goes a long way in solving it. Hope it works out for you man... :ewink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Post by RumBrewer »

Bummer! Hope things work out.
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
midcarolina
Swill Maker

Post by midcarolina »

Hopefully everyone can remain civilized......... a divorce affects so many people, I got a divorce after 25 years of marriage
.....it was a 15 round blood bath........our kids where grown and it still affected them very very much........

Best case scenario is everyone stay civilized......that is the best thing for your grand children............
Three can keep a secret..................If two are dead!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

That sucks. My inlaws always told me if the wife and I were to split up. They would take me over her. :ebiggrin:
So was it a bad divorce? What says you can't still be friends? I sounds as if the feelings were mutual. But what are the feelings about it from your daughter? I hope it works out for the best.

Kinda off topic. But I have always wondered. A bad divorce could turn really bad for someone in this hobby. If it got ugly and was brought up in the divorce to make someone look bad. Or out of spite. It sounds like you won't have that problem OMD. But I could see a need to be worried about it for some.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Thanks Guys for the kind words, this thing is still on going, all I can do is try to help with some Fatherly advice when appropriate. I know exactly what you mean about someone wanting to cause trouble with and about my hobby PP, but it doesn't effect anyone else in my family but some do know, good thing is I know I can trust even Matt and if I can't, well then come get me, but if they do.......... come prepared cause I got the high ground and the shit to defend it :D
stillenand chillen
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillenand chillen »

sorry to hear about your situation, hope all the best to you and your family, this many be alittle off subject but when you posted those pics of the mountain reminded me of a song from Jessie Colin Young called ridge top maybe you have heard it , if not You Tube has it Music always makes me feel better. anyway I hope it all works out.
Last edited by stillenand chillen on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Thanks man, haven't heard that song that I can remember, I'll have to look it up.
stillenand chillen
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillenand chillen »

let me know what you think kinda fits where you live :thumbup:
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.
6fiddyv
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 6fiddyv »

Sorry to hear that, I too went through a div, however I was the son in law. It's been three years, however they still call me their favorite son in law...and yes she remarried, so to hear that, makes me feel real good...and the best part, they still say that...after she remarried to my cousin...hahaha, lol...who's having th last laugh. Your those kids grandpa, and he's their father so you bet you will still have to have a great relationship with him. Your daughter will just have to understand that. Either way, good luck OMD!
Total Abstinence is the way to handle the Alcohol Problem...circa 1891
engraved on a water fountain in the town I was born...
jake_leg
Swill Maker

Post by jake_leg »

Sounds like you have a head start on keeping on good terms OMD. All the best for the future for you & your daughter and grandkids.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Thanks again guys, pretty good folks on this site.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Hope your bad story has a happy ending.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Hutch-
Novice

Post by Hutch- »

Its worth mentioning the example you're providing to your daughter to keep things civil with the soon to be ex. Right on :thumbup:
retlaw
Swill Maker

Post by retlaw »

OlympicMtDoo,
have you ever thought about a virtual-son-in-law?

i need five hundred bucks for a new build......DAD...
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

My ex and her mother at one point refused to speak with my father in law for months 'cause he would not take sides with them against me. He has ALWAYS treated me extermely well. Sadly, he is now in a 'Home' with Alzeheimers, what a loss, , , , -hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Thanks again guys. OMD