Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by Fastill »

Odin wrote:Do you guys like this recipe as a very, very neutral? Just to drink it like that? Or as a basis for maceration, infusion, etc.?

I ask this, because it is the most awsome neutral I ever made. Só neutral, I felt like drinking water. And my brain told me something was not right.

Somehow (but maybe just for me) a vodka should have at least some mouth feel or anything distinguishable left.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Odin.
I run this off at 94% and I seem to get some slight brandy tasting notes out of it. I just felt it was because of the tomato paste and sugar combo. Not what I am after in a vodka but it makes for some awsome strawberry p.d. and apple pie.When I want vodka I make rads all bran and add some extra crushed wheat berrys to the mix.
Still Birdwatchers is a great go to when I want more ABV from a neutral.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

Odin
Doesn't matter to me cause i'll drink anything. But your right, this stuff is as neutral as it gets. Of late i've been making vodka with the feints from ujssm and austins whiskey runs and you can tell the difference.
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Odin, it is very neutral which for me allows me to use it in exactly the manner you suggest (infusion, macerate, or making lemoncillo or apple pie). It is also good for a lot of liqueurs like Kahlua, raspberry liqueur, amaretto, etc. If I use it as a vodka I usually include a vanilla bean or something to add a bit of flavor.
Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Post by Kidnapper2 »

End of day 1 with this wash. SG is up to 1.100, nice bubble to it. Looks like a soda after being poured into a glass, no foam head on it though. After I got done putting this wash together, while I was cleaning up, I noticed my yeast was expired. Got a little nervous and proof tested it, a little weak. So I hope this isn't gonna kill it. Picked up some champagne yeast last night as a back-up plan.
*It should be observed, that neither age or double distillation, will render good, whiskey originally bad; or that has recieved an improper flavour during the fermentation. From The Distiller, by Harrison Hall 1818.
Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Post by Kidnapper2 »

Day 2 and the wash is back at the starting SG. Still bubbling nicely.

I will add that for a heat source, as opposed to the light bulb style. I have an open grate patio table sitting above an electric oil heater. Yeah the cheap $30.00 type you can get anywhere. I have it at it's lowest setting and the wash has stayed steady at 32c according to the stick on thermometer

* Day 3 SG at 1.080 same bubble action. All is well
*It should be observed, that neither age or double distillation, will render good, whiskey originally bad; or that has recieved an improper flavour during the fermentation. From The Distiller, by Harrison Hall 1818.
Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Post by Kidnapper2 »

Day 4 SG 1.065 bubbles have slowed considerably, yet still steady. Still kept in required heat zones. Smells like a big ole tub of beer.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Whats up now? kiddnapper, it's been hours sense your last report.......just kiddin ya man, I know it is exciting but I have done a lot of birdwatchers now and it is going to be a while before you'r ready to run it. I find that if I let it clear an extra day or two from when I would like to run it, that I get a better result. Good luck and do let us know. :thumbup:
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

Kidnapper2 wrote:Day 4 SG 1.065 bubbles have slowed considerably, yet still steady. Still kept in required heat zones. Smells like a big ole tub of beer.
There's an edit button for a reason buddy. Double (or triple) posting is generally frowned upon in forums. It just takes up space unnecessarily, and is generally less organized. If no one else has responded, just edit your last post
Experience is what you get right after you need it.
Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Post by Kidnapper2 »

Regular users have a limit to the edit function. As I have been told by one of the moderators. No worries though
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

kidnapper
How about a report on your wash. Should be finished now and ready to run if you haven't already.
Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Post by Kidnapper2 »

Andy Capp wrote:kidnapper
How about a report on your wash. Should be finished now and ready to run if you haven't already.
Hasn't finished yet. Getting close though. When it finishes in the next day or two, I'm gonna clear it and run it on Sunday.
Kidnapper2
Swill Maker

Post by Kidnapper2 »

Stripped it, nice clean and neutral. Output wasn't as much as I had hoped, but I'll trade that for the quality that it gave. I substituted 2 lbs brown sugar in the mix. Turned out nice, using the backset with the Gerber recipe now.
rasher
Novice

Post by rasher »

I'll throw my hat in the ring now. Ran my first pot-still "strip" run on 45L yesterday.
OG 1.07, Final SG 1.02 (let it cook for 10 days, but I couldn't wait any longer!) - 6.57% ABV
During the strip run, collected:
250mL foreshots
4 pints (heads?) @ 59%, 59%, 56%, 54% (started cloudy and got clearer)
4 quarts (hearts?) @ 49%, 46%, 42%, 36%
5 pints (tails?) @ 30%, 27%, 23%, 20%, 20%

The "heads" had a solvent-y smell while the "tails" had a sour wet-sock smell. The "heart" were DELICIOUS!
I had originally planned to just toss the entire run into a bucket and save up several of these strip runs for a reflux spirit run, but then a bunch of friends and family came over so I cracked into the hearts.

My plan now is to take the hearts of these strip runs, blend 'em and share them with people as "Aguardiente", a Guatemalen cane liquor I'm familiar with. Then I'll save back the tails and heads and when I end up with 40L or so, reflux 'em through a spirit run and call that my "Krystal Klear Party Liquor".

Either way, my first still run was a SMASHING success, the distillate was very drinkable, my friends and family had a great time and nobody so far has waken up with a hangover. This is a GREAT recipe.

Oh yeah... I poured all the backset back into my fermenters, recharged with more sugar, nutrients and water and then pitched some more yeast this morning.
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

rasher
Don't know if too many others here drink BW from a single pot still strip run. You were on the right path with stripping the wash then doing a reflux spirit run. Stick with the recipe and you'll be over the moon with the results.
Let us know how your backset wash turns out.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

It would have paid to remain patient and let the wash ferment to dry... :think: You gave away ~4% ABV... :thumbdown: You need to learn to sit on your hands and wait... :thumbup:
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

rasher wrote: Oh yeah... I poured all the backset back into my fermenters, recharged with more sugar, nutrients and water and then pitched some more yeast this morning.
Your backset from the still or your lees from the fermenter? The lees will have live yeast ready to rock and roll. Good for neutral birdwatchers.

Backset or dunder is typically only used for whiskey or rum to enhance flavor. Not such a good idea for vodka.
MR
blakey70
Novice

Post by blakey70 »

Hello I am a novice distiller and have started out with an air still. I would like to use this recipe for my wash but am unsure how to continue the process. Do you add the liquid carbon to this as well and I have been using turbo clear to finish the wash. Any tips on how to complete this process so it is ready for the still would be much appreciated. I would be making 25 litres. Thankyou
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

blakey70
BW is the easiest recipe here.
If you follow the recipe it will be ready for the Airstill as is. No need for carbon or turbo clear.
When the wash has finished, let it settle and clear for a few days before putting the required amount into your Airstill.
Follow the guidelines regarding foreshots and cuts and you will have the best an Airstill can produce.
Have a really good read of this site for a while before doing anything else.

Good luck
jimmycrackedcorn
Novice

Post by jimmycrackedcorn »

Soooo excited. Started my first batch of bw and it is already workin away. after 15 minutes it has a 1/2 inch krausen.

5 gal water
1 lemon
11 lbs sugar
3/4 tsp epson
6 oz tom paste
70 grams yeast
SG 1.85

pitched yeast 10:30 pm
91F
10:45 bubbling away

will keep you all posted
Attachments
bw.jpg
bw.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
jimmycrackedcorn
Novice

12 hours later. this recipe rocks :D
Attachments
bw2.jpg
bw2.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks like you got it right, mine usually take about three weeks, varies a bit so let Her do her thing :thumbup:
Manstra
Novice

Post by Manstra »

Hi guys,

I am a novice to this and this is my first wash. I made 25l as per the recipe. (Starting SG 1.06 - finishing SG .990)
I have a reflux still and ran it a couple of days ago. I threw out the first 100 - 150 ml and ended up with just under 2l of clear @ 90%
The question I have is that it smells a little like metholated spirits. Not bad.. but it is there. I have not yet dileted to 40% or tried it. The guys at my Local Homebrew shop suggested I run it through a carbon filter. Should I do this?

Should I dilute and rerun through the still? or should I just dilute and try it the way it is?

I have a second wash on now that was active within 2 mins of putting the yeast in. VERY impressed.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Manstra wrote:Hi guys,

I am a novice to this and this is my first wash. I made 25l as per the recipe. (Starting SG 1.06 - finishing SG .990)
I have a reflux still and ran it a couple of days ago. I threw out the first 100 - 150 ml and ended up with just under 2l of clear @ 90%
The question I have is that it smells a little like metholated spirits. Not bad.. but it is there. I have not yet dileted to 40% or tried it. The guys at my Local Homebrew shop suggested I run it through a carbon filter. Should I do this?

Should I dilute and rerun through the still? or should I just dilute and try it the way it is?

I have a second wash on now that was active within 2 mins of putting the yeast in. VERY impressed.
Did you make proper cuts or just toss some foreshots...??? How to make cuts, collect in multiple small jars, air, and blending, are all part of what we consider mandatory reading in the New Distiller Reading Lounge...

Don't bother carbon filtering...

You can dilute and redistill it the right way which would be great practice...
Manstra
Novice

Post by Manstra »

rad14701 wrote:
Manstra wrote:Hi guys,

Did you make proper cuts or just toss some foreshots...??? How to make cuts, collect in multiple small jars, air, and blending, are all part of what we consider mandatory reading in the New Distiller Reading Lounge...

Don't bother carbon filtering...

You can dilute and redistill it the right way which would be great practice...
Thanks Rad.
I just tossed forshots and collected the rest... Trick for new players huh??
I will do some more reading and try to get it right.
oakback
Novice

Post by oakback »

mash rookie wrote:
rasher wrote: Oh yeah... I poured all the backset back into my fermenters, recharged with more sugar, nutrients and water and then pitched some more yeast this morning.
Your backset from the still or your lees from the fermenter? The lees will have live yeast ready to rock and roll. Good for neutral birdwatchers.

Backset or dunder is typically only used for whiskey or rum to enhance flavor. Not such a good idea for vodka.
MR
I must use hot water to dissolve the sugar, will this "hurt" the yeast?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

oakback wrote:
mash rookie wrote:

MR
I must use hot water to dissolve the sugar, will this "hurt" the yeast?
The dissolved sugar mix needs to be cooled before pitching yeast... Don't get your terms confused...
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30062
Back Set
What is left in your still after distillation. Referred to as ”Dunder” when Rum has been distilled
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

This has to be the easiest neutral wash recipe. Never fails for me.

But as Rad pointed out oakback, by all means add hot water to your sugar, it will help to disolve it quicky.
But be sure to let it cool to < 25°C before adding (pitching) your yeast... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
jimmycrackedcorn
Novice

Just finished running my first batch of bw thru my reflux and i cannot begin to tell you how impressed i am with this recipe. easy to mix up, fermentation is very quick (6 days start to finish), and the flavor is absolutely fantastic. thanks to everyone that helped me along the way and a giant thank you goes out to Birdwatcher for sharing this recipe. Time to partake of this labor of love after 10 hours of cooking. cheers all.
youraussiemate
Novice

Post by youraussiemate »

my wash isnt bubbling, should it be?
it was bubbling and foaming on the first night i put it in then overnight the temperature dropped to 18 degrees celcious and im wondering if this might have caused it? its back up to 28 degrees after changing the heating element and has been sitting at that for a day and a half.
there is some activity going on in the mash with water swirling around and stuff like that
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

youraussiemate wrote:my wash isnt bubbling, should it be?
it was bubbling and foaming on the first night i put it in then overnight the temperature dropped to 18 degrees celcious and im wondering if this might have caused it? its back up to 28 degrees after changing the heating element and has been sitting at that for a day and a half.
there is some activity going on in the mash with water swirling around and stuff like that
Are you using an airlock or looking directly at the wash? Sometimes the lid does not get a good seal so you get a false reading with airlock.