birdwatcher

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

doncoyote
Novice

birdwatcher

Post by doncoyote »

hi hope i am posting in the right thread this time ?? ok hear it is i have 30liter birdwatcher mash on the ferment for the last seven days and it now reads 1.20 on the hydrometer and there is no more sign of life from it is it ready at this reading :?:
rad14701
retired

Re: birdwatcher

Post by rad14701 »

If, in fact the SG is 1.20 then you have WAY too high of a starting specific gravity... How much sugar did you use in that 30 liter wash...??? What is the wash temperature...???
doncoyote
Novice

Post by doncoyote »

30 liter of water
200 grams of tomato puree
1 lemon
100 grams bakers yeast
7 kilo of sugar
and decided to add 300 grams of oats just to see if it had a different taste :crazy:
temp 34 c
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Ok, that helped... You have an initial SG near 1.090 and it is now down to 1.020... At the calibrated temperature of the hydrometer, I presume... That SG sounds a bit high for a Birdwatchers wash but it may not be worth tinkering with it to see if it'll ferment dryer... You have a yield of ~9% ABV out of a potential ~13.7% ABV right now... Might be stalled due to pH or the SG might be up a tad due to the oats... Or it could be an infection... Adding some baking soda, perhaps 1 tablespoon, might help but wouldn't hurt... Hard to say...
doncoyote
Novice

Post by doncoyote »

the ph was 8 it is a very hard water hear will try and add the baking soda if it dose not work any other thing i can do or will i just run it ???
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If the pH is actually high rather than low then you'd want to add something acidic like lemon juice or citric acid... Baking soda will raise the pH if it's low...
doncoyote
Novice

Post by doncoyote »

put some bicab bacon soda in last night still no change """ can i just run it ? and would i get anything out of it or do you have any other tips i have look't all over the form and cant find any other answers :?:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

You've fermented at least 3/4 of the sugar, and perhaps more, into alcohol so you'll definitely get alcohol by distilling the wash... The only thing to watch for is potential foaming due to unfermented sugar as well as starches from the oats... Let the wash clear and then rack it carefully...

For your next Birdwatcher wash skip the oats... I run a modified Birdwatchers and have good luck with it fermenting to dry in less time than the original recipe takes...
doncoyote
Novice

Post by doncoyote »

thanks Rad :thumbup: will take every think in :wave:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If your wanting to use oats? You would be better off following the UJSSM recipe. Replacing the corn with oats.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
doncoyote
Novice

Post by doncoyote »

help !!! help !!! any suggestions i had but another birdwatcher on the day after the last one but after the problem with the first one i left it a bit longer to ferment like 9 days just check't it it is 1.3 tshe fist one was 1.2 i added baking soda to it 3 days ago recommended any suggestions :sick: :sick:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

doncoyote wrote:help !!! help !!! any suggestions i had but another birdwatcher on the day after the last one but after the problem with the first one i left it a bit longer to ferment like 9 days just check't it it is 1.3 tshe fist one was 1.2 i added baking soda to it 3 days ago recommended any suggestions :sick: :sick:
Do you mean 1.030 and 1.020 SG? Does this one have oats in it to? What was the starting SG?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

doncoyote wrote:help !!! help !!! any suggestions i had but another birdwatcher on the day after the last one but after the problem with the first one i left it a bit longer to ferment like 9 days just check't it it is 1.3 tshe fist one was 1.2 i added baking soda to it 3 days ago recommended any suggestions :sick: :sick:
Throw away your box of baking soda and squeeze a lemon or 2 in the wash. I'm also agreeing with PP, we gonna need some accurate sg readings to help you.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
doncoyote
Novice

Post by doncoyote »

sorry lads did not do a sg on this one as i thought it would be the same as the other ! bad bad mistake ! but yes that was 1.030
do i just run it and get what ever i can or is there a alternative :?:
jimmycrackedcorn
Novice

Post by jimmycrackedcorn »

I would sure like to try this birdwatcher recipe. I see everyone talking about it but I can't find the actual recipe. When I do a search all I get are thousands of references to it but not the actual recipe. Could someone PM it to me or point me in the right direction?
Marshwalker
Swill Maker

Post by Marshwalker »

jimmycrackedcorn wrote:I would sure like to try this birdwatcher recipe. I see everyone talking about it but I can't find the actual recipe. When I do a search all I get are thousands of references to it but not the actual recipe. Could someone PM it to me or point me in the right direction?
It's in the "Tried and True" section... i don't know how to add the link on here so just go back to the board index, and scroll down to that section and you'll see it in there.
South....waaaaaayyyy south bayou blood can be as potent as that clear stuff coming out the still..
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

doncoyote
Novice

Post by doncoyote »

hi jimmycrakedcorn it's in the tried and true recipes :wave:
jimmycrackedcorn
Novice

Post by jimmycrackedcorn »

Found it. Thanks Marsh :D
Marshwalker
Swill Maker

Post by Marshwalker »

:thumbup:
South....waaaaaayyyy south bayou blood can be as potent as that clear stuff coming out the still..