Distilling words for newbies

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Distilling words for newbies

Post by mash rookie »

After much arm twisting and begging, Tater has agreed to post this specific word list in the reading lounge after people have a chance to kick it around for awhile. It is not meant to replace the glossary or to be all inclusive. Just our specific words to make comprehension easier for new guys as they read.
Please PM me or post a reply with any additional words or corrections. Lets keep the list simple and lets keep the post clean so it will be easier for Tater to edit when moving it to the reading lounge. Thank you.
Mash Rookie

PLEASE DELETE YOUR POSTS AFTER YOUR SUGGESTIONS HAVE BEEN ADDED and PLEASE PM Frosty additional stuff as he will continue the editing for me.
Last edited by mash rookie on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frosteecat
forum scribe and editing bitch

Re: Distilling words for newbies

Post by Frosteecat »

HD Glossary

ABV
Alcohol Percentage by volume. Not to be confused with Proof.

Activated carbon
Used to filter a neutral wash to remove off flavors and impurities.

AG
All grain. Such as an All Grain wash or ferment.(no sugar)

Aging
Time spent for the spirits to mellow.

Airing
Leaving your distillate jars open for lower alcohols (heads) to escape. Some distillers, including commercial distillers use airing stones and pump air through the distillate to speed the process.

Backins'
Wash left in boiler (see also backset, dunder, slop).

Back Set
What is left in your still after distillation. Referred to as ”Dunder” when Rum has been distilled

Barm
The yeast bed left in the fomenter.

Beer Has two meanings
The fermented liquid ready to be distilled. (does not include hops)
A fermented drink intended to be consumed as is. Without being distilled. (may include hops)

BIB
Bag in box. Liquid stored for use in production or after production in a "boxed wine" type assembly.

Blending
The art of putting together the different collection cuts to achieve the best final product as possible.

Birdwatchers
A sugar wash recipe for creating neutral spirits. (i.e. Vodka)

Boka
A LM design reflux still.

BOP
A "Big Ol' Pot", usually used in mashing production; for large boils.

Cap Has two meanings
The foamy krauesen that forms on the top of a fermenting liquid.
also
The top part above a boiler on a pot still.

Condenser
A device for cooling the alcohol vapor into collectible distillate.
Some types (general):
CM- Cooling Management
LM- Liquid Management
VM- Vapor Management

Conversion
Enzyme conversion of starches to fermentable sugars. Also can be called saccrification.
(Malted Barley is the most common malted grain used.)

Cuts
Collection in small containers to identify the changes from Heads, Hearts and Tails before blending.

Delphlegmater
A reflux condenser able to condense all vapors and partially condenser column vapors. Used mainly in plated column CM stills.

DP
Diastic Power the measure of a malted grains ability to convert starch to sugars. Measured in degrees Litner.

DRY
Ferment that has completed and has no sugar taste.

Dunder
Any of the waste from processing sugar cane or sugar cane products.
Can also be : what is left from boiling cane juice,the foam from coppers, foam off the top of fermenter, or what is left in still after distilling.

DWWG
Death Wish wheat germ. Wash Recipe.

Feints
Technically tails only. Often used to refer to a mixture of heads and tails to be recycled into a following batch. Feints are low in alcohol, and are re-distilled.

Flute
Scaled down commercial type plated still.

Ferment on the Grain
As opposed to sparging. (removing liquid from converted grain starches prior to fermentation)

Graham
A type of condenser

Grain bill
Types and ratios of grains used in a whiskey recipe.

Heads
The undesirable lower boiling point alcohols that come off first when distilling.

Hearts
The desirable middle alcohols from your run.

Hydrometer
ABV Meter used for distilled spirits OR SG Meter used in wash to determine sugar level.

Lees
What is left in your fermenter after the liquid is siphoned into still. Typically would contain spent nutrients and barm. (yeast)

Liebig
A type of condenser.

Low wines
A low ABV liquid produced from a stripping run.

Lyne arm
In a pot still, the tubing from the pot's head to the condenser; can be horizontal or angled.

Mashing
The art of cooking grain and converting starches to fermentable sugars.

Mash
Grain that has been converted and ready to be fermented.

Neutral
Clear flavorless alcohol. (Some refer to vodka as a neutral, but as it CAN be flavorful, it is generally not a TRUE neutral)

Oaking
Aging your liquor in oak barrels, chunks or oak chips.

Parrot
A device that holds an ABV meter allowing alcohol strength to be monitored during distillation collection.
See Also:
Parrot Building

Pitch
Adding yeast to fermenter.

RDWDSD
Relax, don't worry, drink some distillate :)

Reflux
Referring to a still type or action. Reflux stills re-distil alcohol many times before take off.

Reflux still
A still with forced reflux to increase ABV and or purity.

Saccrification
see Conversion.

SMOP
A "Seethin' Mass Of Porridge". Typically used to refer to a very thick mash.

Sugar head
Grain ferment that sugar has been added to achieve a higher alcohol potential.

Sparge
Removing fermentable liquid from grain after starch conversion.

SG
Specific gravity. SG meters are used to measure sugar content in a wash to determine potential alcohol.

Shot gun
A type of condenser.

Slant plate
A collection design for an LM reflux still.

Spirit run
The last and final run of a multiple run process. Ran slow to get the best product.

Stripping run
The first runs of a multiple run process. Where the alcohol is stripped out of the fermented beer. To increase ABV and clean it up more. Producing what is called low wines. In preparation for a spirit run.

Tails
The higher boiling point alcohols that come off last. Tails usually contain greater amounts of flavor congeners.

Tri-clamp
Technically it is two ferrules joined by a clamp with a gasket. Often used here referring to the clamp itself. See image:

UJSSM
Uncle Jesse Simple Sour Mash. (Corn) Recipe.

Wash
Your sugars based fermenting mixture.

Wort
Term for the sweet (converted sugar) fermentable liquid ready for ferment. Produced from mashing or cooking of grain and water.

WPOSW
Is "Winos plain old sugar wash".
Last edited by Frosteecat on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:49 am, edited 8 times in total.
  “Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I'd take Scotch. It's the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.”
 William Faulkner (1897-1962)
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

If you like I can edit my post and keep adding terms until we think we're done...unless you want me to change the format somewhat?
We can continue adding as they appear in this thread.
I would also suggest we could link directly to threads that go over in detail each entry. It may look something like this:
Parrot
A device that holds an ABV meter allowing alcohol strength to be monitored during distillation collection.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=29663
  “Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I'd take Scotch. It's the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.”
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

*Ok all updated with new terms. Please PM me additional terms, corrections, links (and please reference the glossary entry I am supposed to attach the link to), etc.*

Man, this is a lot to ask from a paying customer... :mrgreen:
I want a special handle color...maybe green...for "forum scribe and editing bitch".
:crazy:

J/k...happy to do it. I'm hoping in the right spots, when it is done, it will help cut down on the "read the forum, read the forum, read the forum" broken record!!
Last edited by Frosteecat on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

MR's Thread not mine. He wants pm's.
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

The reference to vodka was as flavorless, but it often isn't. Syntax is a bit garbled...I'll clean it up.
I will research feints...and fix if need be. This is just the "formatting" pass...that's why I need you guys to check for factual innaccuracies!
*edit* Fixed both...feints (sp) and definition. Clarity around vodka reference...can eliminate alltogether if adviseable.
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

Thanks...I removed it for now because MR and I are working on some things from the same doc. I don't want to keep reposting it over and over and over, but due to the "edit" window closing on posts after a bit, I only have reposting or holding back for awhile, now and then.

I'm glad someone saw it before I deleted...at least I have one witness that I am not slacking LOL!
I missed doing a run cause of that damned thing...
:lol:
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I will post up the final word list soon. Tater will than move it to the reading lounge. Sorry for the delay. I have been buried with work. Thanks for your patience.
MR
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Frosteecat wrote:Man, this is a lot to ask from a paying customer... :mrgreen:
I want a special handle color...maybe green...for "forum scribe and editing bitch".
:crazy:
Great idea :lolno:

Note I have cleaned up the posts which already have their information in the main thread (and this post will only live a while).
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Frosteecat wrote:Thanks...I removed it for now because MR and I are working on some things from the same doc. I don't want to keep reposting it over and over and over, but due to the "edit" window closing on posts after a bit, I only have reposting or holding back for awhile, now and then.
If the editing window closes (48 hours), simply repost the entire post in full (and I can clean up the first post). If you can not get to the 'source' of the post, due to editing being off, I can repost it for you, with your ownership. We have some behind the scene forums (for mods/mentors/etc), which have some of this turned off, just for this type reason, where we are building a post over time for the RL, and it needs to be edited again and again.

There is no problem at all, if you post it multiple times, in the end, the main post (and possible a smaller intro) will stand on it's own, anyway, and all of the other suggestions, backslapping, etc will be cut off.

I re-posted it and changed the owner to Frosteecat (took a while to remember how to do that, it is a function I almost never use). Please test that you can edit. I wish there was a way to change edit time on a specific post, bu there is not. It is board global.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

HD Glossary

ABV
Alcohol Percentage by volume. Not to be confused with Proof.

Activated carbon
Used to filter a neutral wash to remove off flavors and impurities.

AG
All grain. Such as an All Grain wash or ferment.(no sugar)

Aging
Time spent for the spirits to mellow.

Airing
Leaving your distillate jars open for lower alcohols (heads) to escape. Some distillers, including commercial distillers use airing stones and pump air through the distillate to speed the process.

Backins'
Wash left in boiler (see also backset, dunder, slop).

Back Set
What is left in your still after distillation. Referred to as ”Dunder” when Rum has been distilled

Barm
The yeast bed left in the fomenter.

Beer Has two meanings
The fermented liquid ready to be distilled. (does not include hops)
A fermented drink intended to be consumed as is. Without being distilled. (may include hops)

BIB
Bag in box. Liquid stored for use in production or after production in a "boxed wine" type assembly.

Blending
The art of putting together the different collection cuts to achieve the best final product as possible.

Birdwatchers
A sugar wash recipe for creating neutral spirits. (i.e. Vodka)

Boka
A LM design reflux still.

BOP
A "Big Ol' Pot", usually used in mashing production; for large boils.

Cap Has two meanings
The foamy krauesen that forms on the top of a fermenting liquid.
also
The top part above a boiler on a pot still.

Condenser
A device for cooling the alcohol vapor into collectible distillate.
Some types (general):
CM- Cooling Management
LM- Liquid Management
VM- Vapor Management

Conversion
Enzyme conversion of starches to fermentable sugars. Also can be called saccrification.
(Malted Barley is the most common malted grain used.)

Cuts
Collection in small containers to identify the changes from Heads, Hearts and Tails before blending.

Delphlegmater
A reflux condenser able to condense all vapors and partially condenser column vapors. Used mainly in plated column CM stills.

DP
Diastic Power the measure of a malted grains ability to convert starch to sugars. Measured in degrees Litner.

DRY
Ferment that has completed and has no sugar taste.

Dunder
Any of the waste from processing sugar cane or sugar cane products.
Can also be : what is left from boiling cane juice,the foam from coppers, foam off the top of fermenter, or what is left in still after distilling.

DWWG
Death Wish wheat germ. Wash Recipe.

Feints
Technically tails only. Often used to refer to a mixture of heads and tails to be recycled into a following batch. Feints are low in alcohol, and are re-distilled.

Flute
Scaled down commercial type plated still.

Ferment on the Grain
As opposed to sparging. (removing liquid from converted grain starches prior to fermentation)

Graham
A type of condenser

Grain bill
Types and ratios of grains used in a whiskey recipe.

Heads
The undesirable lower boiling point alcohols that come off first when distilling.

Hearts
The desirable middle alcohols from your run.

Hydrometer
ABV Meter used for distilled spirits OR SG Meter used in wash to determine sugar level.

Lees
What is left in your fermenter after the liquid is siphoned into still. Typically would contain spent nutrients and barm. (yeast)

Liebig
A type of condenser.

Low wines
A low ABV liquid produced from a stripping run.

Lyne arm
In a pot still, the tubing from the pot's head to the condenser; can be horizontal or angled.

Mashing
The art of cooking grain and converting starches to fermentable sugars.

Mash
Grain that has been converted and ready to be fermented.

Neutral
Clear flavorless alcohol. (Some refer to vodka as a neutral, but as it CAN be flavorful, it is generally not a TRUE neutral)

Oaking
Aging your liquor in oak barrels, chunks or oak chips.

Parrot
See Also:
Parrot Building

Pitch
Adding yeast to fermenter.

RDWDSD
Relax, don't worry, drink some distillate :)

Reflux
Referring to a still type or action. Reflux stills re-distil alcohol many times before take off.

Reflux still
A still with forced reflux to increase ABV and or purity.

Saccrification
see Conversion.

SMOP
A "Seethin' Mass Of Porridge". Typically used to refer to a very thick mash.

Sugar head
Grain ferment that sugar has been added to achieve a higher alcohol potential.

Sparge
Removing fermentable liquid from grain after starch conversion.

SG
Specific gravity. SG meters are used to measure sugar content in a wash to determine potential alcohol.

Shot gun
A type of condenser.

Slant plate
A collection design for an LM reflux still.

Spirit run
The last and final run of a multiple run process. Ran slow to get the best product.

Stripping run
The first runs of a multiple run process. Where the alcohol is stripped out of the fermented beer. To increase ABV and clean it up more. Producing what is called low wines. In preparation for a spirit run.

Tails
The higher boiling point alcohols that come off last. Tails usually contain greater amounts of flavor congeners.

Tri-clamp
Technically it is two ferrules joined by a clamp with a gasket. Often used here referring to the clamp itself. See image:

UJSSM
Uncle Jesse Simple Sour Mash. (Corn) Recipe.

Wash
Your sugars based fermenting mixture.

Wort
Term for the sweet (converted sugar) fermentable liquid ready for ferment. Produced from mashing or cooking of grain and water.

WPOSW
Is "Winos plain old sugar wash".
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

The final version will not include some terms included now but will have links for further info. I will get on it. I promise Frosty.
Frosteecat

Post by Frosteecat »

Looks great guys. I am looking forward to the HD community being benefitted by this. I owe you guys a lot--you've helped unlock a door that has greatly enriched my life. True fellowship is hard to come by in today's world. I hope that this can be an organic document that lives and grows with links and additions over time. Thank you for allowing me to give back in some small way! Love the handle lol! Watch what you wish for indeed! Please feel free to hit me up any time for writing and editing services... :)
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Good work guys Ive split and sent to reading lounge .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper