distillers yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

akrandy
Novice

distillers yeast?

Post by akrandy »

hi im going to make birdwacthers wash and was woundering about distillers yeast instead of bakers. if i use distillers yeast do i still need to put in the tomato past and lemons? or if i end up useing bakers does it matter what kind? please help thanks akrandy
Keep shinning
rad14701
retired

Re: distillers yeast?

Post by rad14701 »

With Distillers Yeast you are running a turbo wash and tomato paste would not be required... And that would not be a Birdwatchers wash... You'd be further ahead doing a standard Birdwatchers wash as per the original recipe... Avoid the temptation to fall victim to the greed factor that turbo yeast lures unknowing novices towards...
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

right on thanks for the info i will go with the bakers yeast. does it matter what kind? or is there a certain brand that stick out, thats better or does it not matter?
Keep shinning
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

No doesn't matter what brand .I myself like Fleischmann's myself.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

dry yeast or instant? for the bakers is what i ment
Keep shinning
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

akrandy wrote:dry yeast or instant? for the bakers is what i ment
They work equally well, for the most part... "Quik-Rise" or "Instant" merely has a bit of ascorbic acid added which, when used to make bread rise, causes more rapid CO2 production and can also help slow or stop the rise after a period of time... The ascorbic acid also has a preservative trait to it but this is not the intended purpose when added to bakers yeast...

I prefer standard Fleischmann's bakers yeast over "instant" or "Quik-Rise"...
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

awesome thanks for your time and knowlage. off to the store i go, i will use your recomendation thanks akrandy
Keep shinning
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by astronomical »

rad14701 wrote:With Distillers Yeast you are running a turbo wash and tomato paste would not be required... And that would not be a Birdwatchers wash... You'd be further ahead doing a standard Birdwatchers wash as per the original recipe... Avoid the temptation to fall victim to the greed factor that turbo yeast lures unknowing novices towards...
so CB DADY is turbo yeast?
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

astronomical wrote:
rad14701 wrote:With Distillers Yeast you are running a turbo wash and tomato paste would not be required... And that would not be a Birdwatchers wash... You'd be further ahead doing a standard Birdwatchers wash as per the original recipe... Avoid the temptation to fall victim to the greed factor that turbo yeast lures unknowing novices towards...
so CB DADY is turbo yeast?
CB DADY is not a turbo.

Big R
Last edited by rad14701 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoted text...
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Oxbo Rene
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oxbo Rene »

From day one, I've always used CB Distillers yeast (1/4 cup to 6 gal ferment) = no problem .........
It is not the matter, nor, the space between the matter,
but rather, it is that finite point at which the two meet,
that, and only that, is what is significant...........
(Of course, I could be wrong) ..........
Fusefinder
Novice

Post by Fusefinder »

I have read that Distillers yeast is optimized at 90+/- deg.
Is a lower temp of 70-80 deg an issue?
Thanks
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

In most cases lower temp means slower ferment, this can be a good thing to a certain extent. Too low temp can stall a ferment but 70°F-80°F should be fine and may even prevent some off-flavors associated with higher temp fermentation. I believe bread yeast does very well in the 80°F range.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I use a distillers yeast that isn't a turbo. It does well for hot summer time ferments
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

I find the CB distillers yeast a little more tolerant of temp swings and does well at higher temperatures. Bakers yeast adds a nice rich flavor in grain ferments. I stay 8-10% ABV washes with bakers yeast and go 10-12% with distillers yeast. Distillers yeast seems cleaner tasting. Just my opinion.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

On my next batch I'm going to try distillers yeast. And then I'll post the results as far as tast goes
Keep shinning
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I e-mailed Crosby& Baker a good while ago and got them to send me the data sheet on the C&B DADY. It made by Fermentis (A French company) and it is a S. cerevisiae strain specially designed for grain mash ferments for whiskeys. It is best for ferments at 85-89F (doesn't do that well over 90F) and has an alcohol tolerance of about 13%. It also work best when re-hydrated before pitching. Pitching rate should be 1-2 teaspoons/5 gal depending of specific gravity.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

rtalbigr wrote:I e-mailed Crosby& Baker a good while ago and got them to send me the data sheet on the C&B DADY. It made by Fermentis (A French company) and it is a S. cerevisiae strain specially designed for grain mash ferments for whiskeys. It is best for ferments at 85-89F (doesn't do that well over 90F) and has an alcohol tolerance of about 13%. It also work best when re-hydrated before pitching. Pitching rate should be 1-2 teaspoons/5 gal depending of specific gravity.

Big R
Big R, Is C&B DADY something different than what I purchase as C&B distillers yeast? What is the “DADY” acronym?
Thanks, MR
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

mash rookie wrote:
Big R, Is C&B DADY something different than what I purchase as C&B distillers yeast? What is the “DADY” acronym?
Thanks, MR
DADY is Distiller's Active Dry Yeast. I would think it is the same. Mine comes in a gold colored foil 1 lb pack.

Big R
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

MR - I just went and got some today. My package has Distiller's Yeast in bold and in small print under says Distiller's Active Dry Yeast. So I about positive they're the same.

Big R
ginjo
Novice

Post by ginjo »

The C&B distillers' yeast I have is from Alltech, not Fermentis. The Fermentis stuff I also have costs about 10x as much.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

So have either of you use the distillers yeast in the birdwatchers ? how does it taste and does it do the same as Baker's yeast
Keep shinning
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

akrandy wrote:So have either of you use the distillers yeast in the birdwatchers ? how does it taste and does it do the same as Baker's yeast
I just finished a batch of Birdwatchers made with C&D distillers yeast. It works just fine. Most importantly, don't worry, be patient and give whatever yeast you used time to do its thing.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

Right on thanks
Keep shinning