Grappa run. Kinda embarrassing really.....

Moderator: Site Moderator

Digital_Plasma
Site Donor
Site Donor

Grappa run. Kinda embarrassing really.....

Post by Digital_Plasma »

I had my thoughts about posting this episode, but what the hell. Its a lesson for me. Yesterday the wife was out on a trip to Germany while i watched over the kids. I had planned on rigging up my still for a pot run of Grappa. I decided i could do both, so i did.... The kids was playing around the house and i made sure to remove anything flamable (only daddy can play with that), sharp objects and other bad stuff... Well, i got the still set up and loaded it with some (17 liters) homemade wine made from a harvest from last year. Started the flame and watched the temp for a while. I had to go back and forth to make sure the kids werent killing each other. At some point the temp showed 30,5C deg. so i figured i'd go inside for a snack before turning on the cooling. Of cause the kids were tearing down the walls and i had to set things right. Apon returning to my still i smelled strong alcohol fumes in the air and my first and only thought was "oh crap..." and then i ran... The still was blowing out thick vapor filled with alcohol. The temp suddenly showed 95C deg!!! I turned on the cooling and the temp fell quickly to 90.2C deg..... Phew that was a close one.... Well from then on the process ran as i should, but with me being EXTRA vigilant.... Got aprox. 3 liters of ? abv (the wife accidently smashed my alcoholmeter a while back) which is setting in my garage, mellowing. It smells and tastes as Grappa should. almost anyway...

Thats my thrilling story from yesterday... I hope im not the only one who's been..... careless.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

DP The Vigilant....
myles
retired

Re: Grappa run. Kinda embarrassing really.....

Post by myles »

I am sure you won't do it again, but I have to say - that is not the recommended technique for making a heads cut on a pot still. :wink:
Digital_Plasma
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Digital_Plasma »

Well it did get blown right out of there! ;)
Last edited by Digital_Plasma on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just think how many lives or damage has been saved by HD members giving good advise. I say this because I don't know how many new members have originally designed a still with no escape route for fumes. Had your still not been properly built it may have been too late for you. My guess is in the future you will wait until you have fewer distractions before making your runs. Thanks for sharing good reminder for all!
Digital_Plasma
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Digital_Plasma »

Bushman wrote:Just think how many lives or damage has been saved by HD members giving good advise. I say this because I don't know how many new members have originally designed a still with no escape route for fumes. Had your still not been properly built it may have been too late for you. My guess is in the future you will wait until you have fewer distractions before making your runs. Thanks for sharing good reminder for all!
Most d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y! It was bad planning. Nothing more. I was too desperate to get going after a long brake. :oops:
Im all for escape routes. From the start i saw to it that there were no way to block of the pipes ect. Im also carefull to not have solids in my mash. Old habit.