Revitalizing Copper Mesh Packing

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dis-still-in
Novice

Revitalizing Copper Mesh Packing

Post by dis-still-in »

Afternoon,

I am wondering about the process of cleaning off my copper mesh packing for my reflux CM still. I am NOT worried about cleaning patina/other copper, but solely the mesh that has been 'scrubbing' the vapors in the vapor path. I keep the mesh clean in between runs, but think that it is time to go a little deeper and boil it down in a vingear/salt/water bath to revitalize it. My worry is that this may negatively affect my Stainless Steel cooking pot which I am planning to use for the bath. Any thoughts?
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: Revitalizing Copper Mesh Packing

Post by pounsfos »

That's the great part about stainless steel, No rust

Using a solution of water/salt and vinegar, will clean up your copper like a new penny, although most people just use a vinegar/water solution,

don't gorget afterwards to do a cleaning run with a sacrificial wash of alcohol
dis-still-in
Novice

Post by dis-still-in »

I realize the acid/salt (or just acid) bath will clean the copper, but I'm a little worried about 'transferring' unwanted chemicals (that which the copper is 'scrubbing' out in the first place: CuS???) to my Stainless Steel stock pot.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

Just use a vinegar/water solution, then clean it out using some old alcahol you have around to remove whats left

http://homedistiller.org/equip/first_run" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I have a stainless steel Still,l with cooper mesh in it, and this is how I clean mine
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

dis,

I wouldn't worry about screwing up the pot... It will clean up fine...

I have used ultimate brewery cleaner for jobs like that. Great stuff... :thumbup:
this is the internet
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

I've not tried it, but it seems like I remember someone saying they put their mesh in the boiler and it came out clean...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

If you haven't tried using hot backset to clean your gear you are missing out.

Its acidic, its hot, and its free! Shining up your copper parts in hot backset from a nice grain whiskey run is a part of the whole process that should not be missed. :ebiggrin:
this is the internet