thermometer

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

allen42
Bootlegger

thermometer

Post by allen42 »

what do yall use ? i bought one , the kind you stink in meat ,,,, you have to look stright down to see it & the still is around 6' tall !!! i have read about the digitil ones , but my wife already is thinking i am wasting money on summin that is gonna get me thrown in jail !! lmao another 30-40 bucks & she might turn my a@@ in !! , any ideas? besides standing on a step ladder to see it ?

also , after i drill a hole for the shaft of the thermometer to fit in , what is that rubber piece called & where do you get them from ?

thanks so much yall !!
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

My digital thermometer cost me $25 Canadian at Radio shack so if you are in the USA it will cost you maybe $19. It has many cool features you will find very useful like a count down timer you can use while documenting your runs for future reference, a high temperature alarm you can set for the temperature you want it to sound at which will tell you when it is time to start cooling water. It was well worth the investment but remember the thermometer is only a guide so don't base your cuts strickly based on themerature readings.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Goofy
Novice

Post by Goofy »

I bought one from Rick at Brewhaus. $16 or so plus shipping. It works fine. The only bad part is the lead is only about 2 ft. long but it works for me alot better than the glass one I used to use.
Got Booze?
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

:D Happy to hear that THM but you have to remember that on a reflux column you must reach and equilibrium in the column and keep it for a set amount of time before proceeding with your run. When you have your heat turned way up you need to know when it is time to cut it back and since no product is exiting the still you need the thermometer to tell you when the temperature is starting to climb rapidly. Other then that I totally agree with what you say. To use one is a damn crutch that everyone must learn not to lean on to much.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

do yall use a *gormet* type of rubber to slide it in ? if so , where do you get these ?
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

You can pick up gromets of any size at an automotive parts store.
Dane Cook