Brass needle valve

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

doslaur
Novice

Brass needle valve

Post by doslaur »

Hey, I'm gonna build another reflux column and I was wondering if it is safe to use the brass needle valves rather than the stainless one. I don't wan't to use it if it will retain the lead that is in it. Is it safe to use the brass valve?
rad14701
retired

Re: Brass needle valve

Post by rad14701 »

I use a brass needle valve but pickle it every so often to keep the surface lead free... If you can afford SS needle valves, use them, but brass valves can be made safe...
doslaur
Novice

Post by doslaur »

What does the pickling process consist of?
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

doslaur wrote:What does the pickling process consist of?
Use 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxcide and vinegar. Turns your brass into gold, well, in color anyway... :D :D :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
doslaur
Novice

Post by doslaur »

Cool, I found a stainless needle valve, so I guess I'm gonna use this one.
hoody
Novice

Post by hoody »

Anyone know where to find a stainless needle valve in New Zealand?? I've only managed to find 1 (been doing ALOT of searching) and it was $140! I know they are not cheap but man!!

Dont really want to have to buy oversea's if I dont have to.

Hoody
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Samohon wrote:Use 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxcide and vinegar.
For no more than 15 minutes.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Yeah time is a facter the first time I pickled I left it for a long time and it turned kinda brown and etched the surface.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
irishmike
Novice

Post by irishmike »

go to http://www.watts.com and see all of the brass fittings and valves you can now get without lead. Watts supplies all of the Lowes stores here in the US. If you donthave a lowes closeby there is a great "where to buy" tab on the website that will put you in touch with your local sales rep. i plan on contacting the sales rep for this area to find out how to tell which valves are lead free. i say this because certain models listed say "lead free available" so be sure you are buying lead free and dont just assume its lead free because its made by watts.
she keeps telling me: "I don't care if you pee in the shower, but you have to be taking a shower!"
FloridaShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FloridaShine »

The lead content is printed on the package, small text. I bought mine at lowes but its 026% lead exceeds Fed Standards for safe water use.So Yes they do have Lead free and I also will try contacting sales rep.
But with it being lead free is the brass the ok to use still? and can we just pickle what Lowes carries, its not lead free!

Thanks!
Dennis
FloridaShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FloridaShine »

Regarding Watts Needle Valve (lead free) I spoke with Sales Rep, he said they dont make any! I informed him yes they do and to check their own Web site as it is listed!
Then he said oh, The PN he gave was 17700024, which turns out to be A-4, well you still have to go through another rep! Dang! forget it Im going with the standard brass with 026% lead and pickle it. Until
someone here can find a suitable valve that can deliver drop by drop, Precise control, I was told it had to have a long taper, etc. What a pain! Someone on this forum should have a recommended valve
with Manufacturer and part number.
Dennis