uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Greg1234
Novice

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by Greg1234 »

I have two barrels going with the second generation and found something odd first barrel finished in 5 days and was ready for stripping the other was about done but it is still bubbling after 10 days ... I am pretty sure that all sugar is gone already, should I wait till it stops or strip it ?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just put some 9 liters of 60% UJ-style Wheat & Malted Barley combo on a stick of medium toasted American white oak. The oak I got from Wacabi. Cut with the grain to allow for fast extraction. Works like a supercharger. It is getting a nice tan in a day only.

I use spend grains from my AG mashes for further UJSSM's. How's that for re-using and re-cycling?

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

Greg1234 wrote:I have two barrels going with the second generation and found something odd first barrel finished in 5 days and was ready for stripping the other was about done but it is still bubbling after 10 days ... I am pretty sure that all sugar is gone already, should I wait till it stops or strip it ?
i wait till it starts to clear
Greg1234
Novice

Post by Greg1234 »

ipee7ABV wrote:
Greg1234 wrote:I have two barrels going with the second generation and found something odd first barrel finished in 5 days and was ready for stripping the other was about done but it is still bubbling after 10 days ... I am pretty sure that all sugar is gone already, should I wait till it stops or strip it ?
i wait till it starts to clear
Thank you !
EmptyPockets
Novice

Post by EmptyPockets »

Firsrt off,many thanks to Uncle Jesse.I finaly got away from the Turbos and carbon,night and day difference,drinkable spirit right from the still.I am on my fourth run(third sour)and my question is : How long should I keep the originial mash going,unless it gets a infection I would think the longer the better,or will it degrade after so many generations? Thanks for your time and help.
Hyko
Novice

Post by Hyko »

Can anyone explain what it means to collect to X % ABV? For example, when you say collect to 70%, does that mean you are collecting everything that comes out (after the foreshots) in a single test jar with a hydrometer and watching the hydrometer reading fall? This would give you one volume with 70% ABV at the end, right? But wouldn't that collect both the heads and hearts? or do you collect in separate test-jar sized volumes, the ABV of which would fall by several %s between sequential jars? Thanks for any advice, just did my first run ever and it was ujssm and I just ran it all through not taking ABV readings til after (i just sat there tasting it to get an idea of the different flavors) and got 6 jars that go from 50 abv to 10 abv.
Away with yer pills, it'll cure all ills, Be ye Pagan, Christian or Jew,
so take off your coat and grease your throat with a bucketful of Mountain Dew.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Hyko wrote:Can anyone explain what it means to collect to X % ABV? For example, when you say collect to 70%, does that mean you are collecting everything that comes out (after the foreshots) in a single test jar with a hydrometer and watching the hydrometer reading fall? This would give you one volume with 70% ABV at the end, right? But wouldn't that collect both the heads and hearts? or do you collect in separate test-jar sized volumes, the ABV of which would fall by several %s between sequential jars? Thanks for any advice, just did my first run ever and it was ujssm and I just ran it all through not taking ABV readings til after (i just sat there tasting it to get an idea of the different flavors) and got 6 jars that go from 50 abv to 10 abv.
This'll clear some of it up.
Novice Guide for Cuts (pot still)

collect to 70% -- this typically means you will collect until your alcometer reads 70% in your parrot. With that said, I can't imagine why you would only collect down to 70% -- your just getting started (I guess more [much more] context is needed). No single test jar (read and reread and reread the posted link)

the ABV of which would fall by several %s between sequential jars -- Yes, the general nature of a pot-still run

just did my first run ever and it was ujssm and I just ran it all through not taking ABV readings -- a nice stripping run. Put it all together and run it again (after you've read up on cuts -- don't lie, no you haven't :oops: )
rasher
Novice

Post by rasher »

I have a batch of sour mash that's just on it's third ferment and it's just starting to get good. Next week, I have to leave town for 3 weeks. What can I do to keep my good yeast alive?

My thoughts:
1. Rack out the wort that's just finishing up.
2. After racking out the wort, pour in 3-1/2 gallons of water over the existing corn (standard UJSSM technique)
3. Strip the wort and hold back 1-1/2 gallons of backset, and put that in the fridge so it doesn't spoil.
4. When I get back from the trip, heat up the backset, add in my 7lbs of sugar, let cool and then pour over the (now 3 week old) corn/yeast/water mixture.
5. Cross fingers

Does that sound like the right thing to do?

Thanks for the advice.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Guys (and Gals) who use a parrot can watch the ABV as it's coming out of the still so they can watch the proof move with each jar they are filling. Others use jars you can float your hydrometer in to test every few jars to track their progress. You need somthing tall and thin like a flower vase built for a single flower or a hydrometer test tube. Cheap hydrometer test tubes are made of plastic so you'll need one made of glass or pyrex if you go that route.

So collecting down to 70% would be collecting until the ABV coming out of the still is at 70%.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

rasher wrote:I have a batch of sour mash that's just on it's third ferment and it's just starting to get good. Next week, I have to leave town for 3 weeks. What can I do to keep my good yeast alive?

My thoughts:
1. Rack out the wort that's just finishing up.
2. After racking out the wort, pour in 3-1/2 gallons of water over the existing corn (standard UJSSM technique)
3. Strip the wort and hold back 1-1/2 gallons of backset, and put that in the fridge so it doesn't spoil.
4. When I get back from the trip, heat up the backset, add in my 7lbs of sugar, let cool and then pour over the (now 3 week old) corn/yeast/water mixture.
5. Cross fingers

Does that sound like the right thing to do?

Thanks for the advice.
just leave it till you get back. some have kept their wash for a year. it will be fine
Hyko
Novice

Post by Hyko »

WalkingWolf wrote:
Hyko wrote:Can anyone explain what it means to collect to X % ABV? For example, when you say collect to 70%, does that mean you are collecting everything that comes out (after the foreshots) in a single test jar with a hydrometer and watching the hydrometer reading fall? This would give you one volume with 70% ABV at the end, right? But wouldn't that collect both the heads and hearts? or do you collect in separate test-jar sized volumes, the ABV of which would fall by several %s between sequential jars? Thanks for any advice, just did my first run ever and it was ujssm and I just ran it all through not taking ABV readings til after (i just sat there tasting it to get an idea of the different flavors) and got 6 jars that go from 50 abv to 10 abv.
This'll clear some of it up.
Novice Guide for Cuts (pot still)

collect to 70% -- this typically means you will collect until your alcometer reads 70% in your parrot. With that said, I can't imagine why you would only collect down to 70% -- your just getting started (I guess more [much more] context is needed). No single test jar (read and reread and reread the posted link)

the ABV of which would fall by several %s between sequential jars -- Yes, the general nature of a pot-still run

just did my first run ever and it was ujssm and I just ran it all through not taking ABV readings -- a nice stripping run. Put it all together and run it again (after you've read up on cuts -- don't lie, no you haven't :oops: )
I have read about making cuts, just not in some time :) . That link is a good guide, but it still doesn't clarify how to know what the ABV is of what is coming out at any given time. I've never heard of a parrot, I guess that device makes a lot more sense than making your minimum cut the smallest volume you can use a hydrometer on. It appears just to be a tube with an output you can control to match the output of the still so you always have a readable volume in the parrot?

Thanks for the help man. My second batch is just finishing up and smells so damn good I can't wait to run it - will post results.
Away with yer pills, it'll cure all ills, Be ye Pagan, Christian or Jew,
so take off your coat and grease your throat with a bucketful of Mountain Dew.
crtbc
Novice

Post by crtbc »

Second Fermentation

Now is the time to make sure you have removed and replaced any spent corn kernels, which float to the top of the fermenter. You only need to do this if you plan on a continual ferment, that is, past 7 or 8 fermentations at which point your corn would otherwise be expended.

Cover the fermenter and let it ferment for another 3-4 days or until the ebullition ends.

Question::: Do you remove the floating "spent corn" AFTER the fermentation is done when you are filling your still OR when you are addin more water/backset and they come floatin up to the surface??? thanks
danmiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by danmiz »

I take it out before I siphon out my wash and after I siphon it out I remove the top layer of corn till I get to the bright yellow corn.
danmiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by danmiz »

I take it out before I siphon out my wash and after I siphon it out I remove the top layer of corn till I get to the bright yellow corn.
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

I really would like to thank Uncle Jesse, this is a great recipe. My wash is only at 70*F, but it started bubbling like a Jacuzzi after a day or two!
Roundyround
Swill Maker

Post by Roundyround »

I have found after adding the backset and sugar to my next ferment, the spent corn floats to the top due to the higher specific gravity condition of the wash. I simple strain them off and let the wash do it's thing. I add a replacement amount of corn the next sugar addition. It is one of the things that i love about UJSSM, it is very forgiving. I can screw it up royally and it still comes out great with a slow boil and decent cuts.
I'm going to try a renewable grain based lifestyle. Beer and whiskey count don't they?
EmptyPockets
Novice

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method ;time on oak???

Post by EmptyPockets »

Hello all,I have my first run of UJSM on Oak for about a month now,hopefully you can give me some feedback on what I have done so far.I am using white oak splits about the thickness of your little finger and about eight inches long,medium brown toast and black char,two of the medium and one of the char sticks in each gallon(120 proof).At this point the spirit is very smooth,wonderful amber color,but with a very raw wood taste,I understand that this gets better with age,but I have nothing to compare it to,as this is my firt run.Do you think I may have over oaked it,and should diluite with clear from the next run,or is this to be expected with the short time on oak and just a matter of time? Hope I am going in the right direction,thanks for any insight or help.
outlaw2
Novice

Post by outlaw2 »

if i were using turbo yeast with this recipe would the amount still be the same?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

A non-turbo will ferment slower, bringing over more taste. And less off-tastes.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

outlaw2 wrote:if i were using turbo yeast with this recipe would the amount still be the same?
I just simply wouldn't suggest it. Get some bread yeast.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
outlaw2
Novice

Post by outlaw2 »

Odin wrote:A non-turbo will ferment slower, bringing over more taste. And less off-tastes.

Odin.
i know its not ideal to use but its all i have and i wanted to start a batch tonight, what i was wondering was if the amount to be added was the same as the recipe?
outlaw2
Novice

Post by outlaw2 »

ok i ditched the turbo yeast and bought bread yeast. the problem now is that im 1/4 tsp too short. im making 10 gal, will this be detrimental to the fermentation process? help would be greatly appreciated.
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

outlaw2 wrote:ok i ditched the turbo yeast and bought bread yeast. the problem now is that im 1/4 tsp too short. im making 10 gal, will this be detrimental to the fermentation process? help would be greatly appreciated.
should be fine. it might take a little longer
cooperville
Novice

Post by cooperville »

You can always make starter for the yeast if you don't have enough
And build up your yeast count that way I sometimes do if I have time 1. Litre of water
To 1 cup of sugar boil for 10 min then cool to 22-25c then add yeast
I also use a stir plate to speed up yeast propagation don't stress to much about
Fermentation times bread yeast should be good to about 30c so if you want a faster ferment you can run it warmer
With temperature control but you then create a risk of off flavours
A good day is any day you finish with the same number of bones you started with, and all the ligaments attached.
SailorJerry
Novice

Post by SailorJerry »

What a great recipe! Day three of the sweet mash fermentation and my house and garage smell of a wonderful sweet cornbread smell. Makes me hungry and thirsty all at the same time! :lol: I used 7# local Ruralk King cracked corn, 7# white walmart pure sugar, 5 gal of tap water, and two packets of Red Star yeast one stirred in one spread across top. Today it was bubblin the airlock about four or five bubbles per second. Thermometer on top of fermentation vessel reads 75f-80f ish. The fermentation vessel has a blanket wrapped around with the tail of the blanket placed over a forced air heat vent in the floor. Anyone see anything wrong with this? :think:
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Yes, regardless of yeast choice the recommended amounts would be the same. You can always make modifications but you take your chances. Turbo yeast is not the best choice for a drinkable product(I believe it's been said before that turbo yeast was developed for fuel production and not for drinking alcohol) but like I said, you make modifications and you take your chances.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
natureboy68
Novice

Post by natureboy68 »

Just a bit confused, do you save all of the first run for the second distillation? Or just heads/tails? If the second run is considered "sour mash" what is the first run considered? Thanks!
cooperville
Novice

Post by cooperville »

I reccomend you read this thread from the beginning and do a lot more reading
Once you have read it all keep reading other threads to get your head around
The fermentation process once you hve done his you shouldn't have to many
Questions good luck
A good day is any day you finish with the same number of bones you started with, and all the ligaments attached.
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

Just ran my first 5 gallon batch of UJSSM. Two hours later, I had the finished product. After the heads, it started about 55-60% and I kept running it until around 25-30%, when it got a lot slower, and I could smell the "cardboard" smell of the tails. Smooth stuff straight out of the jar, I can't wait to run it again! On oak this would be amazing...
NcMoonLight
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NcMoonLight »

I gotta say Thank you soo much for posting this, and the sheer amount of detail in this thread is amazing. I honestly cannot wait to give it a try!
15.5 Gal Keg ~ 2" Pot Still ~ Propane Heated & Now 5 Gal Thumper
<3 UJSSM
Take It Slow & Learn The Right Way To Do It & One Day, Even You Could Be A Master Distiller!