What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor store?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

FortyNiner
Novice

What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor store?

Post by FortyNiner »

There's a good thread going about whether any of us home distillers still buy hooch at the liquor store. I still do, since I enjoy trying new, different or interesting spirits and stuff I can't or don't make myself. I'd like to know what those of us who do buy commercial stuff are drinking. So, what was the last bottle you bought and why? What is going to be your next purchase?

My last purchase was Charbay R5, a barrel aged whiskey distilled entirely from Racer 5 IPA (one of my favorite micro brews). The wife and I recently met Charbay's master distiller and of all the things he's making, this sounded the most interesting and creative to me. It's good hooch, with a really hoppy flavor, not really like a traditional whiskey. The nose is odd though, kinda like stale beer.

My next purchases will be some top shelf rums, something white and something dark, for comparison to my own which is getting good enough to start comparing to good commercial stuff (I hope). Any recommendations?
Niner
Uncle Jemima
Swill Maker

Re: What was your latest (or last) purchase at the liquor st

Post by Uncle Jemima »

Woodford Reserve.
I’m Uncle Jemima. You probably know my wife, Aunt Jemima, the Pancake Lady.
Uncle Jemima
Swill Maker

Post by Uncle Jemima »

Meant that was my last bottle I bought. No interesting recommendation though. Maybe I need to try more interesting stuff so I can make interesting recommendations. Try Shiner beer I guess. Not a distilled liquor of course but worth trying if you haven't.
I’m Uncle Jemima. You probably know my wife, Aunt Jemima, the Pancake Lady.
GreenMTNfermenter
Novice

Post by GreenMTNfermenter »

I am NOT a huge rum drinker so take this with a grain of salt but my favorite especially with dark and Stormys has been The Kraken...
It is a decent dark spiced rum, that mixes very well with dark and stormys, AND the added benefit is that it comes in a fantastic bottle for storing other spirits, and not too expensive either!
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

love The karaken, would love to be able to copy it.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Sazerac rye
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

I bought some cheap scotch, Clan MacGregor. It's really not that bad for a blended scotch.

I don't do sweet drinks.
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

For a cheap blended Scott ... why not try William Lawson's? Pretty good ...

Last bottle I purchased? A 1 liter eartenwork bottle of Rutte & sons Korenwijn Genever.

Pretty okay.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
FortyNiner
Novice

Post by FortyNiner »

The Kraken is what made me want to make rum. Love the smell.
Niner
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

FortyNiner wrote:The Kraken is what made me want to make rum. Love the smell.
Kraken is good, my neighbourhood store brought some in, and it's become a nice treat to have around. I bought it originally just for the bottle.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Jim Beam rye. Odin's rye bread experiment has me intrigued but before trying it I wanted to see if I actually even liked rye. Turns out I do - especially in a Manhattan. I might try a variation on UJSSM using rye flakes instead of corn.
Braz
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

A long time friend brought me a bottle of Old Crow Bourbon for my birthday....hmmmm what's he getting at?????
Can't get that brand where I'm at... tastes OK...simple.... and relatively inexpensive.... I like it...
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
johnnyboots
Novice

Post by johnnyboots »

My last was a really nice tequila, ArteNom 1146 Anejo. It's somewhat new so I pounced on it. Great tequila! but then I'm a big tequila drinker.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Did not buy myself but got a bottle of Ron Zacappa. Quite a nice mellow sipper,,,,but would not buy myself though I did enjoy.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

Lagavulin 16 peaty/smokey---delicious
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

been buying Blantons lately. trying to collect the set of those horses on the caps. :egeek:
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

I bought a small bottle of Buffalo Trace Mash #2, a white dog. I wanted to see how my product compared. I am pleased to report that I am right on the mark, mine is just a bit smoother.
FortyNiner
Novice

Post by FortyNiner »

Love those Blanton's bottles. One of my favorites.

I got the Buffalo Trace White dog mash #1 as a gift last year. I found it to be kind of rough, maybe it needs to be cut from 125 proof to suit my tastes. Hidalgo, do you know what the difference is between the white dog #1 and #2?
Niner
ohyeahyeah
Swill Maker

Post by ohyeahyeah »

Lot 40.
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

Forty niner, It is probably my foolish recollection that is the difference. I could remember the exact name when I posted. I knew it was numbered, just couldn't remember which it was!
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

New Amsterdam Gin
Cragganmore 12 yr old single malt Scotch
Goslings Black Seal Rum, that is the rum that won me over... hope some day to get something like it going at home... but just now starting out. need a bunch of molasses i think
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Rastus wrote:Goslings Black Seal Rum, that is the rum that won me over... hope some day to get something like it going at home... but just now starting out. need a bunch of molasses i think
No offense intended at all.........in time,,you will do better,,,,,,,,than some type of coloring and a spoon full or three of some type of syrup.
cheers and good luck.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MadMasher
Swill Maker

Post by MadMasher »

McAffe's Benchmark Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey No. 8, its god awful but 8 bucks a fifth is the right price on the way to band "practice"
People talk about my drinking but never about my thirst.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

LWTCS wrote:
Rastus wrote:Goslings Black Seal Rum, that is the rum that won me over... hope some day to get something like it going at home... but just now starting out. need a bunch of molasses i think
No offense intended at all.........in time,,you will do better,,,,,,,,than some type of coloring and a spoon full or three of some type of syrup.
cheers and good luck.
if i drink enough of what ever type of syrup it may help me with my stuttering problem i guess. :crazy:
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I threw an end of the world party in December for about 80 of my closest friends. Even if I could make enough scotch, bourbon, vodka, gin, rum and liquors for a group that size, I wouldn't do it. I don't serve my stuff to friends. It's just too risky. Some day it would be nice to share what I do with friends. For now I must keep my hobby out of site or risk punishments that far out way the crime.
I'm goin the distance...
FortyNiner
Novice

Post by FortyNiner »

If your 80 friends are like mine, it would take a lot of time with the still to make enough booze to keep em all happy! Agreed that it is probably the best policy to not tell/serve friends. I told/served a few close friends who I thought could keep a secret, only to have them give up my secrets after a few cocktails (quite loudly I might add). Fortunately, I happen to live a city known for lax law enforcement and tolerance of bohemian behavior such as ours.

My Dad left a bottle of "Vodka of the Gods" brand here last week. It's from Trader Joes, and the powers that be should seriously consider a name change to reflect its distinct lack of godliness. Apparently the price is very attractive. Maybe the gods are cheapskates like Dad.
Niner
tjhawk
Novice

Post by tjhawk »

Now that I 'still, I hardly ever buy liquor, but when I do I make it count. I've bought 2 bottles in 2 years so I got a couple of things that really hit my palate right. Lagavulin 16 and George T. Stagg. To me, both of these are excellent, though pricey.

Oh wait. I forgot about the bottles of Evan Williams I bought when I was a little low. Not so pricey, but pretty good. :ewink:
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

El dorado 12 yr (15yr is better if you can afford it) - made in Guyana
Silent Sam Vodka
Woodford Reserve
Canadian Club Reserve
and on special occassions - White Owl Whiskey - even women like it
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

El Dorado 12 year, and whiskey and rum from Urban Distilleries in Kelowna B.C. The whiskey was bottled with a piece of french oak, and after removing it, I have no idea how long it will be before the oak mellows. The rum is being discontinued, but is quite nice.
NcMoonLight
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NcMoonLight »

Crown Royal Black... The taste of aging in like 50 different barrels is just something different and I enjoy it very much. However with my own stash of UJ/Rads/Winos and every mixture of flavors I could think of.. I usually just stick to waving at the ABC store when I ride by it lol
15.5 Gal Keg ~ 2" Pot Still ~ Propane Heated & Now 5 Gal Thumper
<3 UJSSM
Take It Slow & Learn The Right Way To Do It & One Day, Even You Could Be A Master Distiller!