Bubble Cap-vs-Perf Plate

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Bubble Cap-vs-Perf Plate

Post by CR33G3R »

I have been reading through the "Flute Talk" thread (wow is it huge!)and am really wanting to build a flute if my own.
I can't decide which way to go (bubble or perf or a combo). Has any one built combo? Would it work? I still have allot of reading/research to do so any input is great ie thread links or words of advice.
As for my goals of the design and build :
1) produce a good drink from a single run (rum is my fav also really enjoy UJSSM)
2) learn more about the theory and build of fractioning stills
3) have a damn fine looking and running still
The making of parts should not be of concern since I am a machinist, time however well that's a different story (this may take a few months). I have access to a keg to use as the boiler and was thinking of doing a 2in column but will look into a 3in, cost here is the main factor (copper cost a small fortune)
Thanks in advance for all the thoughts and info ,and when I do build I'll keep ya posted.
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
MR-E
Bootlegger

Re: Bubble Cap-vs-Perf Plate

Post by MR-E »

I did perf plates & happy with the results, can't comment on bubble caps.
A few have tried 2" plated columns & reports were not good, I can't remember the threads but a search should find them.
NcHooches 3" build would be worth a look to get some ideas.

Cheers :thumbup:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Recommend 3" or larger. And as far as perforated plates or bubblecap plates? This will be personal preference. That you will have to research on your own. To see what you think will work best for you. Build skills, material availability, and the product you want to make. All taken in to consideration. Read as much as you can about the different styles of plates. So you can make a decision on this. What I think is best may not be best for you. For many different reasons.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
maddmatt
Novice

Post by maddmatt »

and the product you want to make
I've read a lot about the bubble cap vs perf plates, and nobody has really specified the differences in product. I'm wondering the same question as OP, materials and build skills aren't a factor, but the product they make is.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

My guess, since I've only run a perf plate is this: They make about the same product, higher proof then you can get with a pot still and still flavored like you'd get from a pot still. With enough plates you can make a neutral. The real difference, I believe, is how they run or how you run them.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I have built columns with both perforated and bubble caps. I can honestly say that I cannot pick the difference in the final product. Some will say otherwise, build what YOU want, either way you will be happpy with the result.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

Thanks everyone for the reply. I'm still doing some research the material search will begin shortly
I will try to put something together so you guys can have a look at my ideas
Thanks
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
sensei
Novice

Post by sensei »

OD,

What about ease of operation, or even the build process itself? I've gone through both the 150+ pages of Flute Talk and also Magic Flute MkII and am undecided as ever. Do the valves added to MkII help?
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

OD,

As a newbie here and to the hobby itself I would like to say thank you for the information that you have brought to this craft. I have read Flute talk, Your original Flute build thread, MkII build, NCHooch's 3" Build, The new Plate thread that is going on, And a few other Flute build threads. My uneducated take on the flutes is, That it doesn't matter really which build that you choose, you get about the same results in taste, the differences would be in how many plates you use to get either more neutral or how few for more for taste, really similar to a packed column, however with the plates it takes less height and material to accomplish the same result. Another difference would be in the way you run each different type i.e., a perf plate will stop bubbling as you reach tails helping you to realize that you are coming to the end of your run and Bubble caps do not, they will keep bubbling with just water on them requiring you to keep better track of temperatures to making cuts to tails and ending your run. I am finishing my first build of a LM still right now and will be running it this weekend have my products for doing cleaning run and 3 different washes finishing up now. After a little time getting use to my LM I am planning a flute build starting mid to late April. My question is simple, Have I pretty much the jest of how the flutes work and the resulting tastes that can be expected? And again thank you for all you have done for the craft! I intend to build my 4 plate and then have the capability of adding another 4 plate section or a section with packing, also an infusion tray for infusing flavors, in other words a modular flute with the ability to play and experiment.
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

That sounds great! I will be watching for your build thread. Mine has been put on the back burner due to my wife and I relocating to a different state. I am always interested in what other members are building.
Still learnin...
MY CCVM