Uploading a pic

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

akrandy
Novice

Uploading a pic

Post by akrandy »

I'm sure it's me but I have tryed and tryed again to up load an Avatar to my Profile from my iphone and from computer. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Is there some fancy trick?
Keep shinning
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Uploading a pic

Post by Prairiepiss »

Size restrictions?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

avatar needs to be edited to 80x80 pixels or it wont upload
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

I did that and still no luck.
Keep shinning
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

try 75 x 75 and make sure the file size is below 16kb
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Black Eye, that wonderful circular picture to the right you see here next to my handle is 80x80. :lol:

If that didnt work then yes it was a size issue. Change the jpeg resolution to higher compression.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Is it not giving you an error message? It's been a while but I though it would give you one. If the size was the problem. And only certain extensions are allowed. If its not a jpg you mite try changing the format.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

See jumbo, 80x80 didn't work for me... I'm not super net savy... Maybe the Boston logos a little tougher and needs to be toned down to 75 x 75. While I love the malt whiskey pic, I do appreciate your team spirit. Good luck to your hawks.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Here are the limitations on avatars:

min: 20x20 max: 80x80
max bytes 17000

Not sure about extension. I know jpg/png work fine. Gif likely also works. Not sure if ani gif works.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Black Eye wrote:See jumbo, 80x80 didn't work for me... I'm not super net savy... Maybe the Boston logos a little tougher and needs to be toned down to 75 x 75. While I love the malt whiskey pic, I do appreciate your team spirit. Good luck to your hawks.
Block Eye, I dunno man, the complexity of that Boston avatar is pretty simple, straight lines, bi tone.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

Well I did 70x70 and it said it worked. But I don't see nothing. Maybe it takes a bit
Keep shinning
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

nope. if things were done right it is instant
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
akrandy
Novice

Post by akrandy »

Well shit I suck. O well no Avatar for me
Keep shinning
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

If the X by Y pix size is in the valid range, then almost for certain, it is the size of the image, or possibly the file is corrupt or not of a format the board understands.

There are tools on the net, to reduce the size of the image, without losing too much information. Take for instance my AV. It was 24 bit graphic when I started, well above the max size. It was reduced in color count, and compressed (jpg I believe), and reduced to 12k or so.

The reason for the size limits is that AV's end up being a huge percentage of site bandwidth, AND server load. Each one of them is a round trip to the server to get the data, AND they go through the file access code written in PHP. So each one is much like an entire page access, all on it's own. And there may be up to 15 of them each time a page is generated. In other words, they are pretty eye candy, but they do put a rather large overall extra load on the web server.

H.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Most photo editors let you change the JPEG compression. Its in options when you save a JPEG. If the size is 80x80 lower your JPEG resolution, I use 64% and it really shrinks the image size alot, and no noticable issues, especially for pictures to post here. Note picture you post up here to HD also have pixel and size limits. 800x800 max and some size I forgot but with 64% compression you wont have any problem at all.