Cherry recipe's anyone?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Cherry recipe's anyone?

Post by Jimbo »

Tis cherry season again. Picked 30 lbs so far and barely made a dent in the tree. Cherry stout, cherry pale ale, cherry wheat, cherry brandy, cherry panty dropper, cherries sprinkled over my wifeys belly to ..... um never mind..... Anyone have any other cherry recipes?
cherriessm.JPG
cherries2.JPG
cherries30lbsm.JPG
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cherry recipe's anyone?

Post by rtalbigr »

I did a deal a few years back where I macerated about 20 lbs of cherries in 50% neutral for several months and then re-distilled it with a couple of vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks in the vapor path. I included about 5 lbs of the cherries in the pot. Turned out to be a wonderful drink.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Subscribed. I want to make a cherry brandy this season. I can get em for about $1/lb, so should be worth the effort. I'll just wait for Zymurgy Bob to pop in.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

rtalbigr wrote:I did a deal a few years back where I macerated about 20 lbs of cherries in 50% neutral for several months and then re-distilled it with a couple of vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks in the vapor path. I included about 5 lbs of the cherries in the pot. Turned out to be a wonderful drink.

Big R
Sounds good BigR!, how much neutral? Thanks.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Your wife make pie? I love me a cherry pie. With some whipped cream.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'm gonna do cherries and blueberries the same as I do other PD recipes . They have turned out so well that Soh doesn't even want me to do any any plain or aged white except to use as base for these platforms .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Jimbo wrote: Sounds good BigR!, how much neutral? Thanks.
I split the cherries in half and put them in 5 wide mouth gallon jars and then filled the jars with the neutral, so I guess about 3.5-4 gallons of neutral.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Jimbo
retired

Kirshwasser? help...

Post by Jimbo »

What Id love to make with all these is some German style Kirshwasser. Its a Cherry eau de vie. White. Deep cherry flavor brandy style drink, not sweetened (German style schnapps). Do we have any Germans here that know a recipe, or anyone for that matter? I want to make it au naturale, no sugar and go for as intense a cherry flavor as I can. I can always blend it down, or into other recipes later if needed.

Was thinking about just crushing and fermenting on the pulp. But worried about the uber low pH, these are Montmorency sour cherries. Cant imagine the yeast will be too happy.

Im up to 70 lbs picked now, 14 5lb bags in the freezer. Im all picked out, but the tree is still loaded. Prolly hit it again or twice :crazy:

PS: Thanks BigR, some cherries are macerating in rum now :) Dont have lots of neutral (no gots me a reflux'r)
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Jimbo - Odin posted several articles on Palinka in his blog (istillblog.wordpress.com). This may be something close to what you are looking for.

Big R
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by midwest shinner »

Jimbo you can always add something to bring the pH up yeah? Make the yeasties nice and happy :D I'm really not sure what is best to use to raise pH that much but I know when I made a berry "brandy" (I added some sugar so can't in all good conscience call it brandy :mrgreen: ) and was worried about the low pH from the strawberries in it I used some calcium carbonate.There may be something better to use,but it fermented just fine, not the most raging fermentation but didn't stall or take a month to ferment either. Just my 2 cents...
There's whisky in the jar
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Throw a few tums in there, They're calcium carbonate and if you're lucky they'll preemtively reduce heartburn. If you get the cherry tums you wont even know they are there :mrgreen:
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

I'd take some of those cherries and some rum and put together a rumtopf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumtopf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://www.food.com/recipe/rumtopf-trad ... age-140344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

likkerluvver wrote:I'd take some of those cherries and some rum and put together a rumtopf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumtopf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://www.food.com/recipe/rumtopf-trad ... age-140344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Excellent! Thanks, defintiely doing that!
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

They had me at the Ice Cream and Waffles part. I'm in :thumbup:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

haha, sounds freakin good doesnt it. I love the notion of pouring off a glass of cherry soaked rum, scooping a pile of drunk berries over my ice cream and enjoying them together. Them Germans know how to party!

I kind of have this going now, couple quart jars stuffed with cherries and filled with rum. Except I tore the cherries in half. And havent added any sugar yet. I also did same with a quart of blueberry brandy I made out of a case of bueberry wine I wasnt drinking. Should be interesting.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Me and my Ex's father made 45 gallons of Blue Berry wine about 8 years ago.... and some peach... what I would do to have that today. I could jump right in a big pot of that and drink my way out.

As for alcoholic desters, this is exactly why I love eating at the german restaurant near me. They come over with the desert cart and flambe just about anything you can think of. How I love Banana's Foster.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

45 Gallons :crazy: :thumbup: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I like the Germans approach to most things alcohol. Keep the beer pure (Reinheitsgebot), lots of great eau de vies/ schnapps. (Not super sweet nonsense like our (US) schnapps).

Altho Jagermeister seems like a cruel joke on humanity.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

I like Jager, I just don't like how I act when I drink it.

But I agree, I love the germans approach to Alcohol and Food.
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

My German friends don't pit their cherries. Tastes great except for having to remember to "spit, don't swallow". :D

I prefer to pit mine with a cherry-stone pitter. Boring job, but at least you can do just a pound or two at a time.

The proper wide-mouthed Rumtopf crocks enable you to put a plate or saucer on top of the fruit to keep it submerged. 12oz sugar per 2 lbs cherries works for me with 60%abv rum - I use 96% vodka/neutral to bump up the abv if I've only 40-45%abv rum on hand.

I'm drooling at the thought of it. :oops:

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I just recently did a cherry infusion with neutral. 60% soaked for 3 weeks. 2 litre jar 1/3 full of pitted torn cherries and rest neutral. Outstanding flavour with no sugar added diluted to 40%.
The colour is odd though, on the brown side of red.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Cherry Bourbon - Cherries and charred stick mingling together with a wheated bourbon. Should be nice by xmas
cherrybourbon.JPG
Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

bellybuster wrote:I just recently did a cherry infusion with neutral. 60% soaked for 3 weeks. 2 litre jar 1/3 full of pitted torn cherries and rest neutral. Outstanding flavour with no sugar added diluted to 40%.
The colour is odd though, on the brown side of red.
Did ya add any lemon juice ? I been tole that will help hold color and bring out flavor .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

never really thought of the lemon juice, might just do it. Thanks
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

If you like liquid apple pie why not cherry pie? Kinda like BIG R but a little diff. Vanilla bean would be good like Big R said. I am thinking a little Baileys or the receipt for Baileys that's on this site for the whip cream. Maybe soak for a month or 2 on 50% . I see taking cherry out and still putting them on your ice cream.

OK maybe a little weird here but Id try this in a small quantity, but I bet it be good. I know you are an all grain and don't know if you keg or just bottle. I would put a gallon or 2 in the bottom of a keg and put your CO2 to it and carbonate it and make a cherry cream soda. Be a great summer drink. OH yea Id cut back the alcohol (10%-15 ish) to something where you don't get so slobber faced. It be a cherry cream soda with a kick. I figured you would have CO2 but didn't know. You gotta call it baked cherry pie.
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by midwest shinner »

I must say that does sound mighty tasty. I got a buddy who used neutral and root beer extract ti make a root beer liquor and that was quite good. So why the hell not do a cherry cream soda?
There's whisky in the jar
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Jimbo wrote:Cherry Bourbon - Cherries and charred stick mingling together. Should be nice by xmas
cherrybourbon.JPG
now that there looks yummy!!!
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Jimbo that is a pretty cherry tree! Not enough frost days here I dont think. Tell you what, I 'll trade four muscodine vines 40 feet of vine each on tee trellis for one mature cherry tree as in your picture. Or maybe just a muscodine brandy for a cherry bourbon-that looked good :P !
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

muscodine wine is very fine!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

halfbaked wrote:muscodine wine is very fine!
amen. Ive had a few and enjoyed everyone! I wish I could trade you a cherry bourbon for a muscodine brandy ga, sounds damn delicious.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

We can make that happen if you ever drive to Florida's east coast through GA!
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods