PH Testers

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pounsfos
Distiller

PH Testers

Post by pounsfos »

so for some random reason, PH tester strips are ridiculously expensive down here in Invercargill, NZ

But if we go to our local hardware store we can pick up a PH tester (for your garden or soil) for cheap as chips.

does anyone know if you can use these?
this isn't the one I'm after but this gives you an Idea of what I'm after if I'm not clear enough in describing it to you

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-in-1-P ... 06721.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: PH Testers

Post by heartcut »

I don't think that soil tester will do what you want it to, look for one intended for water. You should be able to find a decent glass bulb type pH tester for $50 - $100, but keep in mind you have to keep pH buffer to calibrate before use. Every pH meter I've been around was a high maintenance item if you wanted it accurate. Make sure that the bulb is replaceable or that it's cheap enough to replace occasionally and keep the bulb wet when it's not in use. Good luck.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

I'd be concerned about the metal that probe/tip is made from. I have one like that for my soil, but I have one like this for my fermentations:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-pH-Mete ... 5d34a6f736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Works great and not TOO expensive when they break. How do I know :?: :oops: :oops: :oops:

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

While I personally have never used a soil meter in water, I have read over many years that they are the same, and just as accurate (which sometimes isn't very). Check out some google searches, you'll find forums where folks have bought a soil one, used it in water, and it gave the same results as a drop kit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032W ... 00_details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I'm sure a China supplier will ship to you, though it may be a tad slow.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

thank you for your replies :)
stxhunter
Novice

Post by stxhunter »

this what i use gives PH and temp.

God bless Texas-----------------------
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

stxhunter wrote:this what i use gives PH and temp.
Ive owned two of those Hanna meters. Made in Honduras junk IMO... They loose calibration quickly and the diodes need replaced frequently. :thumbdown: Nothing but bad experiences with them...

Bluelab is made in New Zealand and makes some badass equipment. Ive got a guardian and two pens. The reason I love them is because mine are well over a year old, I use them everyday, and they every bit as accurate as when I bought them. It also has a thermometer to automatically adjust the PH readings accordingly. :thumbup:

You will also need a ph probe care kit and KCI storage solution. You seriously wont regret it. 75$ for a pen, and another $25 to keep it clean and calibrated.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

bearriver wrote:
stxhunter wrote:this what i use gives PH and temp.
Ive owned two of those Hanna meters. Made in Honduras junk IMO... They loose calibration quickly and the diodes need replaced frequently. :thumbdown: Nothing but bad experiences with them...

Bluelab is made in New Zealand and makes some badass equipment. Ive got a guardian and two pens. The reason I love them is because mine are well over a year old, I use them everyday, and they every bit as accurate as when I bought them. It also has a thermometer to automatically adjust the PH readings accordingly. :thumbup:

You will also need a ph probe care kit and KCI storage solution. You seriously wont regret it. 75$ for a pen, and another $25 to keep it clean and calibrated.

Do you happen to have a link to buy from? Looking for one with good reviews myself
Thanks!
Keigan
Novice

Post by Keigan »

I've been using a Bluelab Pen for the past few weeks - it is so much easier than test strips that all look like the same shade of orange. No regrets.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

moosemilk wrote: Do you happen to have a link to buy from? Looking for one with good reviews myself
Thanks!
Search Amazon for:

-Bluelab Ph Pen
-Bluelab Ph probe Care Kit
-KCI Storage solution

There is also an official video on YouTube from Bluelab to show how to properly care for your equipment, and what things to avoid.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Invercargill, NZ? Isn't that Burt Munro's hometown?
Probably my favorite underdog story!

tp
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

T-Pee wrote:Invercargill, NZ? Isn't that Burt Munro's hometown?
Probably my favorite underdog story!

tp
Definitely one of the best films i have ever seen. 8)
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.