Airstill Mr. Disteller

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rescueeddie
Novice

Airstill Mr. Disteller

Post by rescueeddie »

Using Corn Sugar/water/turbo yeast,Do I need to dump 1st ounce.Dose not say in Instructions but I have been anyway.Eddie
dakotasnake
Rumrunner

Re: Airstill Mr. Disteller

Post by dakotasnake »

ok 1 st off forget the turbo yeast, you dont want it. 2nd, go to the tryed and true threads and find a formula you like there, there all proven to work nicely. how much methonal you dump depends on the size of your boiler charge, i personlly dump 8 oz from a 5 gal batch but thats pretty liberal.
today marks the dawn of a new error.
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

*shakes head*

Trash the mr-dickstiller and just by likker at the store. The quality will be the same or better, and the cost too.
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
cornsqueezer
Swill Maker

Post by cornsqueezer »

Doogie wrote:*shakes head*

Trash the mr-dickstiller and just by likker at the store. The quality will be the same or better, and the cost too.
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: you have a way with words!!!!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Go to the must read new distiller reading lounge. There you will find a thread called "novice guide to cuts". Cuts will be extremely difficult with that tiny little thing.

As far as turbo yeast. It makes good rocket fuel. But not a good drink. You have been swindled by whomever you bought that junk from. The still included. You can make alcohol with what you have. But making a good drink will be the hard part. Take the time to do plenty of research around here. Starting in the must read new distiller reading lounge.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

cornsqueezer wrote:LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: you have a way with words!!!!
It is a blessing and a curse ... :lol:
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
rescueeddie
Novice

Post by rescueeddie »

When I first started I was using cane sugar.Yes it burned and tasted like gasoline.OLny 70 to 80 Proof.Tried some grain washes worse.After a lot of research found Corn Sugar.120to 130 Proof and smooth as silk.I do cut it to 90.Airstill is made olny for Sugar washes.When all else fails read the directions!I love my Mr.Disteller.It works fine.I'm not trying to make Gallons.I am not surprised of the negative comments,Its not there fault Ignorance is gentic.Thanks for the ones who try to Help.Thats what this Forum is for.Be safe,Eddie
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

rescueeddie wrote:Airstill is made olny for Sugar washes.
This is not true... They are intended to only be used for distilling well cleared washes rather than distilling "on the grain"... Whether a sugar wash, fruit must, or grain mash is irrelevant just as long as what goes into the still has been adequately cleared...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

In all actuality they were designed to distill water. Not alcohol.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

rescueeddie wrote:When I first started I was using cane sugar.Yes it burned and tasted like gasoline.OLny 70 to 80 Proof.Tried some grain washes worse.After a lot of research found Corn Sugar.120to 130 Proof and smooth as silk.I do cut it to 90.Airstill is made olny for Sugar washes.When all else fails read the directions!I love my Mr.Disteller.It works fine.I'm not trying to make Gallons.I am not surprised of the negative comments,Its not there fault Ignorance is gentic.Thanks for the ones who try to Help.Thats what this Forum is for.Be safe,Eddie
Many of the most negative comments come from those who have never used them. If you can get a tasty drop out of an airstill, you'll find it dead easy to use a larger rig if/when you upgrade.

I use mine (with all the mods) for small quantities of distilled macerations AND for distilled water for dilution. I have also gone back to it and produced very respectable rum, UJSSM and All Bran - just to see if I could produce good likker now that I have many years of experience with a 3" pot-still. Would I give up my recently-acquired 4" bubbler for it? - Not likely! They are so easy to run that a nooB can produce top-shelf quality in very short order with a bubbler.

Turbo yeasts MAY be OK for an experienced stiller running at azeotrope and maybe carbon filtering. - I've NEVER managed it, but many experienced distillers, particularly Europeans, claim they're as good as any wash.

There are some great recipes in the Tried n' True section that will easily get you better results with an airstill - and at far lower cost. Try Rad's All Bran. Up the quantity of AB for a tasty (faux) wheat whiskey, lower it for a vodka with some wheat flavour and good mouth-feel.

It is a challenge to produce high quality booze from an airstill - but it CAN be done.

(edited: "neutral" replaced by "vodka")

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.