UJSSM, What the heck?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Otis Campbell
Novice

UJSSM, What the heck?

Post by Otis Campbell »

This is my second strip.
What is this crap? Showed up in my first strip.

Not sure if its foamy puke?
Attachments
image.jpg
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Re: UJSSM, What the heck?

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Not sure - did you do a good cleaning run on the still to start with? I'd be inclined to run some more vinegar and another sacrificial run before running for keeps - doesn't look like puking per say.

Also, is the container in the picture plastic? If so that's an absolute nono. :)
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I'm gunna first ask, did you clean the bucket first? Lol. Does the glob stuff look or smell or taste burnt?. does it have an oily consistentcy?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
scrap
Novice

Post by scrap »

Is that a growth? Hard to tell but It almost looks like Husks. I had husks floating in my ferment. Put the wash a paint strainer bag when charging the still. Last thought, maybe the still charge is too much and its puking. I guess it could be possible with a large charge and a fast strip to pull something like that through. Just spitballin here though.
Otis Campbell
Novice

Post by Otis Campbell »

I ran vinegar through it for a couple of hours.
Ran a sacrificial run.
Ran 2 stripping runs.

It seams oily.. But it will sink as well as float.

Not sure I want to taste it..

My distillate came off yellowish, so I dumped it back in the boiler and tried again.
Did this a couple of times with the same results.. That's why I think I may have overfilled it.

The bucket is what I poured it in to take a pic. It is HDPE.. From what I read it is ok to store ethanol in it?

I am in the process of scrubbing my column now, will try again.
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

Otis Campbell wrote:
The bucket is what I poured it in to take a pic. It is HDPE.. From what I read it is ok to store ethanol in it?
I, and many of us here, use LDPE or HDPE fermentation containers, but most agree that anything much above 12%abv - and that includes stripped wash - is best kept in glass or stainless.

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
Otis Campbell
Novice

Post by Otis Campbell »

Thanks folks,
I found it..
My column is filthy!

Seems the cleaning runs hardly helped at all.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If you can see where it's dirty you should have already seen that and cleaned it as good a possible before ever starting your cleaning runs... The cleaning runs are only intended to help get the last bits out, not a whole sludge pile of caked on crud... Use a little elbow grease on it and then do cleaning runs over again from scratch...

And don't forget to wash behind your ears... :twisted: