Rum sugars, brown or pure cane....

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

whitiezz
Novice

Rum sugars, brown or pure cane....

Post by whitiezz »

Hello,

Im going to be starting my first batch of basic rum here in the next week. While i was at work i took a trip down our sugar isle to get some prices on brown sugar. While i was there i noticed a few packages labeled pure cane sugar.

Ive read around and most recipes i see use brown sugar.

I was just curious as to if the pure cane sugar would be a better choice over brown sugar or vise versa?
meatheadinc
Bootlegger

Re: Rum sugars, brown or pure cane....

Post by meatheadinc »

As cane sugar ( dehdrated cane juice) is less refined I believe it contains more nutrients.
If using brown sugar you will need nutrients.
What goes up must come down, but a condenser helps
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

White Suger = general recipes (sugerheads)

Brown sugar = Rum (typically)

The great part about this site is you can expiriment, why not try one of both and see how they turn out (at the end of the day your tastebuds like what the like)
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Well pure cane sugar can mean anything made from sugar cane. C&H white sugar says pure cane sugar on it. Here in the states. Not real sure as to where you are? Little more info about it would help. We could guess all day long.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
salinenative
Novice

Post by salinenative »

In a batch of sweet feed sugar head I have working at this time, I used a product branded as "Morena Pure Cane Sugar". The producer claims that it is an all natural, unrefined and NON-GMO pure cane sugar. The crystals are larger and have a slight "tan" color (less than "light brown" sugar). When dissolved, the water is darker in color and carries a faint molasses type aroma. I didn't see any difference in the SG with an equal amount of white sugar. It is a little bit higher in cost than the generic sugar you can buy at wally-world but I think it will give a better product in the end. Time will tell.
Don't tell, don't sell and stay Low
likkerluvver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likkerluvver »

In Canada and the US (and many other countries):

Light brown sugar = white sugar + added molasses
Dark brown sugar = white sugar + extra added molasses

I use white sugar and add my own molasses. It's less expensive and I get to control the taste profile. :thumbup:

Someday I'll get to panela.

LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

likkerlover, could you expand on your experiments please. I'm using dark brn sugar and like the results a lot, but I wouldn't mind trying to tweek the recipe some for a different result.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I think it is safe to say. Rum gets its flavor from the molasses. How much molasses or what type will effect that flavor. So any refined sugars white or close to it. Will not have the flavor of something that has molasses in it. A mix of the two would. I know technically a wash made from processed white cane sugar could be called a rum. But is it really a rum with out the rum flavors? then you have the raw sugar. Sugar in the raw here in the states. And plain sugar in many other places. It's usually a corser crystal with a slight brown color to it. And is dry granuals. Usually just processed sugar that wasn't bleached. It may or maynot have a molasses flavor profile? It may even have its own flavor profile. Technically a wash made from it could also be called rum. But is it? Does it have the flavors of a rum? Can it produce the rum flavors? Without tasting the particular brand you speak of. It's hard to say. While light and dark brown sugar does have at least some molasses in it. It will produce some if not enough rum flavors. To be called a rum. Then you have molasses, dried molasses, panela and a few others. That will give you a full rum flavor. So much so you mite want to cut it with white sugar.

It's all personal preference. And what you think the flavor profile should be. But to me personaly. If it don't taste like rum. (plain sugar wash) it ain't a rum. No mater if its made from came sugar or not. Your mileage may vary.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

sltm1 wrote:likkerlover, could you expand on your experiments please. I'm using dark brn sugar and like the results a lot, but I wouldn't mind trying to tweek the recipe some for a different result.
Tweaking isn't that hard. You want more flavor change the percentage of molasses higher. If you want a less flavorful product. Lower the molasses percentage and up the processed sugar percentage. Along with adding dunder or using less. You just have to play with it. To find what works for you. As long as you keep your potential ABV right around the same. And provide proper nutrients. You can play with the sugar amounts all you want.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

FOOD GRADE BAKERS DRIED MOLASSES POWDER...don't pay to ship water.

Molasses-Powder-25-pounds.jpg
Molasses-Powder-25-pounds.jpg (7.36 KiB) Viewed 65 times
molasses_powder.jpg
molasses_powder.jpg (1.91 KiB) Viewed 6490 times

http://www.bulkfoods.com/sweeteners-dis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ... ounds.html

This comes with a chart that shows how to mix it...Two pounds to a gallon and it is 75% sugar content...shipping is $5usd for orders over $75 usd

I also use this stuff, when I can buy it at a store...it's a step before molasses...less cooked.
Sugar Cane Syrup r.jpg
Also use it in breads and at the table...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Sugardaddy panela. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

I've been buying raw sugar from Costco. Seems to be working well with my molasses. It's a lot cheaper in bulk. I'm buying a 6 pound bag for $7.00 or somewhere around there.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Blackeye, check your local supermarkets also, we just had a one week sale on sugar of 25lbs for $9.00!! It's canning season!!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Drunken Unicorn
Novice

Post by Drunken Unicorn »

DAD300 wrote:FOOD GRADE BAKERS DRIED MOLASSES POWDER...don't pay to ship water.

molasses_powder.jpg

http://www.bulkfoods.com/sweeteners-dis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ... ounds.html

This comes with a chart that shows how to mix it...Two pounds to a gallon and it is 75% sugar content...shipping is $5usd for orders over $75 usd

I ordered the powdered molasses after reading your recommendation. I did about a 12 gallon wash. I ended up putting in about 45 cups of the powder. I'm not sure if I over did it or not. The potential abv of the mash was about 10%, which is high for a molasses run, yes? Anyhow, I dropped about $50 into one fermentation, hopefully it turns out well.

Also, the powder has wheat starch, does that create any off flavors and mess up fermentation?
Unicorns drink beer and piss whiskey.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Prairiepiss wrote:Sugardaddy panela. :thumbup:
+1 on Sugar Daddy's panela. It's a boatload cheaper than that dried molassas!
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

salinenative wrote:In a batch of sweet feed sugar head I have working at this time, I used a product branded as "Morena Pure Cane Sugar". The producer claims that it is an all natural, unrefined and NON-GMO pure cane sugar. The crystals are larger and have a slight "tan" color (less than "light brown" sugar). When dissolved, the water is darker in color and carries a faint molasses type aroma. I didn't see any difference in the SG with an equal amount of white sugar. It is a little bit higher in cost than the generic sugar you can buy at wally-world but I think it will give a better product in the end. Time will tell.
I think the brand name is Zulka. I've been using it with a little molasses and nutrients to make rum.
I've also used it a lot with the sweet feed recipe. It's now my sugar of choice.
The yeast likes it better than white sugar.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Drunken Unicorn wrote:

I ordered the powdered molasses after reading your recommendation. I did about a 12 gallon wash. I ended up putting in about 45 cups of the powder. I'm not sure if I over did it or not. The potential abv of the mash was about 10%, which is high for a molasses run, yes? Anyhow, I dropped about $50 into one fermentation, hopefully it turns out well.

Also, the powder has wheat starch, does that create any off flavors and mess up fermentation?
:shock: id be broke if it cost me 50 dollars a fermentation .

my rum

10 pounds of white sugar 7.00
2 12 ounce cans of molasses 3.00
4 cups of gerber oatmeal dry baby food 1.50
dap .25 cents
1/8 cup of dried yeast boiled .15 cents
1/4 cup of yeast pitched .30 cents
sometimes I uses a gallon of dunder
5 gallons of water

so I got it down to about 12 bucks. usually get about 1/2 gallon at 100 proof

good luck
armstrong
Novice

Post by armstrong »

I usually use a recipe for rum that calls for brown sugar and molasses but the last time i used white sugar and extra molasses and it turned out fine.
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

DAD300 wrote:FOOD GRADE BAKERS DRIED MOLASSES POWDER...don't pay to ship water.

molasses_powder.jpg

I also use this stuff, when I can buy it at a store...it's a step before molasses...less cooked.
Sugar Cane Syrup r.jpg
Also use it in breads and at the table...
One 12 oz can here would cost about $15. I can buy rum cheaper and probably better than I could make at that cost. Molasses is out of the question here in "these islands".
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I use Evolved Habitats molasses. I can get it for about $9.00 a gallon from my local tractor supply. It does contain propionic acid which needs to be removed, but that's easy to do.
I'm goin the distance...
KDS111
Novice

Post by KDS111 »

What about using feed grade molasses, I found it by the gallon in Tractor Supply for $10.00.
The stuff is very thick and does not taste like food grade. It is 85 brix.
Anyone have any experience using this? Is it a no no to use?
Thanks, Ken
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

kds

I believe others have used it. I personally have not. it needs to be unsulphered and preservative free.

cheers from another 860 member
KDS111
Novice

Post by KDS111 »

rager wrote:kds

I believe others have used it. I personally have not. it needs to be unsulphered and preservative free.

cheers from another 860 member
It does not state if its unsulphered or not. What are the disadvantages?
Thanks, Ken
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I used feed grade for about a year till I found a supplier of refinery molasses. feed grade is fine, I've used different suppliers and every batch I got had such small amounts of sulphur it wasn't worth worrying about. , something like 0.5g per 100 g.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Mr Shine
Swill Maker

Post by Mr Shine »

I could be wrong (correct me if I am), but I think you would have to boil that molasses from TSC for around 15-20 minutes and let the sludge settle out, only racking the liquid off the top.

Hope that helps.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

I also use sugardaddy panela.. great stuff for rum
KDS111
Novice

Post by KDS111 »

Mr Shine wrote:I could be wrong (correct me if I am), but I think you would have to boil that molasses from TSC for around 15-20 minutes and let the sludge settle out, only racking the liquid off the top.

Hope that helps.
I used the whole gallon, dunder, water, nutrient, DAP, EC1118, acid blend in a 5 gallon wash.
In 3 days I'll add the raw cane sugar.
Thanks, Ken
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

I used feed grade molasses and really didn't like it at all. Ended up putting whole lot through the reflux to salvage it. It just had a taste about it that didn't go down at all. I followed the Hook Rum recipe to the letter and it was not good.

Yet to retry with some lighter sugars, probably raw combined with brown or even dark brown.
rescueeddie
Novice

Post by rescueeddie »

I need the conversion from 12 lbs corn sugar and 4 gal water to lite corn syrup.Also is it better to use syurp?Any help Thanks
KDS111
Novice

Post by KDS111 »

CuWhistle wrote:I used feed grade molasses and really didn't like it at all. Ended up putting whole lot through the reflux to salvage it. It just had a taste about it that didn't go down at all. I followed the Hook Rum recipe to the letter and it was not good.

Yet to retry with some lighter sugars, probably raw combined with brown or even dark brown.
As it is fermenting it has a not to good smell.
It smells nothing like food grade.
I wonder if that taste/smell will come over in the distillate?
If so then I guess feed grade is out.
To bad because its half the price.
Thanks, Ken