Acoholometers are dumb Hydrometers

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DAD300
Master of Distillation

Acoholometers are dumb Hydrometers

Post by DAD300 »

I've picked up on a disturbing notion or trend lately. People mostly new distillers are confusing what an alcoholometer/alcometer is or does.

An alcoholometer is nothing more than a dumb hydrometer...

A hydrometer is an instrument used to measure the specific gravity (or relative density) of liquids; that is, the ratio of the density of the liquid to the known density of water. Water being the constant.

An Alcoholometer is a hydrometer, that has the normal Specific Gravity Scale, replaced with a percent of alcohol scale to correlate the specific gravity of a mixture of ethanol and water, relating the ABV of the mixture it is floating in.

Alcoholometers are dumb instruments. They assume you have put them into a mixture of ethanol and water. They do not tell you the purity of your distillate. They tell you that if you have ethanol and water in the flask, XX% is alcohol.

Now, why this disturbs me. I have read a few posts where the idea was, "Well, my alcoholometer reads 95+%, so my product is pure!"

No, it may not be. If you drop an alcoholometer into a bottle of drug store acetone, it will read above 96%.

We must use our knowledge of what we are distilling, our nose and taste buds to establish that the liquid in the flask is ethanol and water.

The first stuff out of the still is not ethanol and water...and the last stuff out of the still is not ethanol and water. Everything else being correct, we assume the stuff in the middle is ethanol and water.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: Acoholometers are dumb Hydrometers

Post by ga flatwoods »

Dad, why you hating on a hydrometer? LOL. The misinterpretation of what is does is truly the irresponsibility of the user. Good advice.
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It's not a new trend. It's been happening for a very long time. They also think all 95% ABV spirits are neutral. Or the old burns blue so it has to be pure.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Purity and neutrality are two completely different beasts all together. As is 95%.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

maybe purity should be defined in the new distillers reading lounge. Don't say glossary, no one actually reads that, they go to it for reference as it was intended.

Just for interest, it is "an" hydrometer.
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

No, a alcoholmeter is an enhanced hydrometer with an internal invisible mechanism to rotate away from your field of view so you have to get up and spin it to read it
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

haha, right you are.
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

DAD300 wrote:We must use our knowledge of what we are distilling, our nose and taste buds to establish that the liquid in the flask is ethanol and water.
And don't forget the brain. Nothing like a headache to tell you there was something else in there.

M
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Doogie made me laugh...

Glad we all seem to get this...it is one issue I'd like to see hammered to new guys.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DSP-AR-20005
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The problem is they are being told by others on YouTube or the boob tube and such. All this stupid BS. Even when you try to tell them. It goes in one ear and out the other. Until they have a problem. Then they want to argue about it. Or just won't listen to you. Hell they don't read all the great info already provided. But yet want to ask the same question that already been asked 4 or 5 time the same day.

I need to shut up now. :silent:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

bellybuster wrote:maybe purity should be defined in the new distillers reading lounge. Don't say glossary, no one actually reads that, they go to it for reference as it was intended.

Just for interest, it is "an" hydrometer.
Only if you pronounce it ydrometer. "An" is normally used with words (nouns or adjectives) that begin with vowels or vowel sounds. Would be like saying, I have an head or an hand or an hammer. I took a drive up an high mountain. Kinda grates on the logical phonetical sensibilities.

S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

Prairiepiss wrote:The problem is they are being told by others on YouTube or the boob tube and such. All this stupid BS. Even when you try to tell them. It goes in one ear and out the other. Until they have a problem. Then they want to argue about it. Or just won't listen to you. Hell they don't read all the great info already provided. But yet want to ask the same question that already been asked 4 or 5 time the same day.

The only suggestion I can make is a condensed "how-to" for a basic still construction and a basic wash/mash prep, and a basics of distillation. While there is a ton of material on here, if you 1) dont know what to look for, 2) are not that good at searching, then it can be a daunting mountain of info.

While it would be a bunch of volunteer work, if it was done, then it could be sent as a link when registering
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
dirtymax731
Swill Maker

Post by dirtymax731 »

The funny thing is that most the people who ask those types of questions bought a still not built one. They do it half assed and expect a good product without a complete understanding of what they are making.

People dont want to research they want things handed to them
Sent while napping in a cherry orchard
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

dirtymax731 wrote:The funny thing is that most the people who ask those types of questions bought a still not built one. They do it half assed and expect a good product without a complete understanding of what they are making.

People dont want to research they want things handed to them
I can agree it is easier you ask than search, but you have to look at the fact that some may not be all inter-web saavy ... the point I was making is there is a lot of info on this site - maybe a "how to search" mandatory reading (maybe a link in the registration email?) may help

And I would like to see your figures for the **assumption** that dumb questions only come from those that bought a still.
I would like to see your figures for the **assumption** that bought still owners are "half-ass"ing their production
I would assume that while some make horrible youtube stills, there are a few on here that have T500s or better yet MileHi stills that, from reviews, seem to be very well built stills with start up support.

dirtymax731
Swill Maker

Post by dirtymax731 »

I can agree it is easier you ask than search, but you have to look at the fact that some may not be all inter-web saavy ... the point I was making is there is a lot of info on this site - maybe a "how to search" mandatory reading (maybe a link in the registration email?) may help

And I would like to see your figures for the **assumption** that dumb questions only come from those that bought a still.
I would like to see your figures for the **assumption** that bought still owners are "half-ass"ing their production
I would assume that while some make horrible youtube stills, there are a few on here that have T500s or better yet MileHi stills that, from reviews, seem to be very well built stills with start up support.[/quote]

I agree. Thats why I said most not all. There are plenty of people making quality stuff with store bought equipment. Some of the stuff they sell across the pond is off the hook. I dont mean to offend anyone. Im just tired of half asses wondering why their boose tastes like shit. If you make effort its not impossible to make decent stuff and figure out 90% of the questions asked by some users.

Anyway not trying to hijack thread with an arguement.
dirtymax731
Swill Maker

Post by dirtymax731 »

dirtymax731 wrote:I can agree it is easier you ask than search, but you have to look at the fact that some may not be all inter-web saavy ... the point I was making is there is a lot of info on this site - maybe a "how to search" mandatory reading (maybe a link in the registration email?) may help

I would assume that while some make horrible youtube stills, there are a few on here that have T500s or better yet MileHi stills that, from reviews, seem to be very well built stills with start up support.
I agree. Thats why I said most not all. Or should have said "most people who ask the simple questions" There are plenty of people making quality stuff with store bought equipment. Some of the stuff they sell across the pond is off the hook. I dont mean to offend anyone. Im just tired of half asses wondering why their boose tastes like shit. If you make effort its not impossible to make decent stuff and figure out 90% of the questions asked by some users.

Anyway not trying to hijack thread with an arguement.[/quote]
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

bellybuster wrote: Just for interest, it is "an" hydrometer.
I believe this to be incorrect, sir. "AN" is used before words that begin with a silent "H", such as herb or hour. "A" is used before words with a breath "H", such as historical or heavy (a donkey would NEVER carry AN heavy burden, but A heavy burden).

It's a hydrometer.
No it's not.
Yes it is.
How can you tell?
Cuz it's in many small pieces on my floor.

ETA: Sorry, S-Cacka, I responded before I read your correction. :)
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

ya, it is "a" not "an" ... or even "eh"

F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Doogie wrote:ya, it is "a" not "an" ... or even "eh"
Unless you're in Canada. Or North Dakota.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

F6Hawk wrote:
bellybuster wrote: Just for interest, it is "an" hydrometer.
I believe this to be incorrect, sir. "AN" is used before words that begin with a silent "H", such as herb or hour. "A" is used before words with a breath "H", such as historical or heavy (a donkey would NEVER carry AN heavy burden, but A heavy burden).
Except I pronounce herb with a non silent H, the right way :D
the pure drop
Novice

Post by the pure drop »

This is a good point you bring up, but those making such a confused initial misunderstanding will soon realise (or should unless they have totally shot taste buds) that the percent doesn't equal purity when they proof[align=][/align] the likker and take that first sip. If they made good cuts they'll know it. If they made bad cuts they'll know it and then follow up with another noob move and dump it all down the drain rather than adding it to their feints collection to 're run later or to put it in their thump keg instead (in essence 're running it). So I think that although this is good advice, is something that would be learned by error unless the individual was intuitive enough to pick this up from the start. I would add that what is also important is to know the average temp the distillate is leaving the condenser and do the math based on temp relative to alcoholmeter and make the proper conversion to get an accurate reading. It would also be helpful to periodically test the accuracy of the alcoholmeter with water and with alcohol of a known abv as your control. Just my 2 cents.
The Pure Drop
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Beerbrewer wrote:
F6Hawk wrote:
bellybuster wrote: Except I pronounce herb with a non silent H, the right way :D
Unless it's the crabby old bastard down the street then one does indeed pronounce the H (and more).

tp (but I further digress)
scree
Novice

Post by scree »

Prairiepiss wrote:The problem is they are being told by others on YouTube or the boob tube and such. All this stupid BS. Even when you try to tell them. It goes in one ear and out the other. Until they have a problem. Then they want to argue about it. Or just won't listen to you. Hell they don't read all the great info already provided. But yet want to ask the same question that already been asked 4 or 5 time the same day.

and when I do try to research, I read thread after thread complaining about questions yet providing no answers. What's worst?
Bokabob
3" x 6' copper column with lava rock
4" x 12" condenser housing (head) LM
1/4" x 20' double helix style condenser
scree
Novice

Post by scree »

Sooo...the only difference between an alcoholmeter and a S.G. hydrometer is the scale?

Couldn't I just measure s.g. and convert?
Is there a difference in quality between brands?
What do you have?
While there is good instruction in the reading lounge, I'm very slow at comprehension unless I have something in my hands.

Anyways, that's four newbie questions in one post. Much appreciation to anyone kind enough to offer any info. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: For the rest of ya...I was going to ask five questions, but I was afraid of giving y'all a coronary. :moresarcasm:
Bokabob
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

scree... only the paper scale in the center!

"Couldn't I just measure s.g. and convert?" Yes there are charts for that with the conversion.

"Is there a difference in quality between brands?" Yes, but there is also a great price dif. I bought several cheapies and calibrated them against water and a commercial booze. And they are very fragile.

"What do you have?" Two cheapies...I know I'm going to break one.

I wish we had a hydrometer like auto's use for anti freeze...the bulb that sucks up the liquid.

People learn several dif ways, I have a grand daughter that I can give the concept for anything and she has it. Another sees it once and has it forever.
DSP-AR-20005
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

scree wrote:Sooo...the only difference between an alcoholmeter and a S.G. hydrometer is the scale?

Couldn't I just measure s.g. and convert?
No, because the hydrometer for s.g. usually measures down to .9 and ethanol is 0.787. That means that dropping an s.g hydrometer in anything with a lower density will have you looking at a section of glass without any scale, if it isn't below the surface of the liquid. In either case you will not have a clear reference.
scree
Novice

Post by scree »

Ah-ha. Now it's all sinking in... Your granddaughter is smarter than I am. Got one of those myself. I've learned a lot from her.
Seriously though, that does put it into perspective. for me, cheap is fine. Just don't drop or bump. One of each.
I'll spend the extra money on a Pyrex vial.
Much appreciation to both of ya.
Bokabob