Meaning of life?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Thirstylildesertrat
Novice

Meaning of life?

Post by Thirstylildesertrat »

I know this is waaaaaaay off topic, but I figured this is as good place as any to pose this question (actually, probably the best) as I have learned much here about life, not just distilling... What "in your opinion" is the meaning of it all? AKA, why are we here?
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Meaning of life?

Post by The KYChemist »

I don't see this topic getting far, as it will more than likely turn religious. Most forums I belong to don't allow political, or religious talk, as it is usually a "hot-button" topic. But, I'll give it my best shot, before it gets locked or deleted. I really don't feel there is a meaning to life. Humans are arrogant beings. We are always trying to find ways to improve upon things that have worked fine for millions of years. Genetic engineering, etc. We feel we are so important, there has to be some greater reason for our exisistence. I don't believe there is. That is why I do my best to get the most out of each day. When you die... You're just worm food. Unless you get cremated. I mostly consider myself Agnostic. But... I will not begrudge anyone the ability to worship the god(s) they desire, nor disrespect them for it.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

This much is certain. It won't be found on the internet. You'll have better luck taking a walk around the high desert than online. Asking for opinions on the subject rarely leads to good unless you are sitting around a campfire passin a bottle with like minded people.
Two subjects I don't like at the fire are politics and religion. Too much misdirected passion involved.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

The meaning of life, to live not exist. I believe in god as Christianity goes, that being said life is what you make it or you allow it to make you. I nearly died from meningitis 10 years ago and it changed the way I see the world and life. Woodshed said it take a walk in the high desert, sit in a tree stand on a cold fall morning watch the sunrise and the world come to life oblivious to your existence. Take a kid fishing or explore the world for the first time, enjoy each moment for the only thing un recyclable is a squandered moment never to be replaced. I try to wring every bit of good, fun,love out of every day for tomorrow is no guarantee. To me the meaning of life is to be good, honest, helpful to those in need, compassionate to those less fortunate than I, to understand beyond my knowledge, to take nothing for granted, and love all I can. Is my answer your answer? Who knows, but I know what life means to me and how easily it can slip away. Good luck in your quest, may you find your answer it might just be on the high flat plain baking in the sun shimmering like a dew drop waiting to quench the thirst of some little lizard who has it all figured out.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Hold on, I'll ask my exwife....she knows everything, I'll get back to ya. :econfused:
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

OMD that's the truth
+2 on the woman.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

We are an alien experiment doomed to failure
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

The KYChemist wrote:I don't see this topic getting far, as it will more than likely turn religious. Most forums I belong to don't allow political, or religious talk, as it is usually a "hot-button" topic. But, I'll give it my best shot, before it gets locked or deleted. I really don't feel there is a meaning to life. Humans are arrogant beings. We are always trying to find ways to improve upon things that have worked fine for millions of years. Genetic engineering, etc. We feel we are so important, there has to be some greater reason for our exisistence. I don't believe there is. That is why I do my best to get the most out of each day. When you die... You're just worm food. Unless you get cremated. I mostly consider myself Agnostic. But... I will not begrudge anyone the ability to worship the god(s) they desire, nor disrespect them for it.

I'm guessing you've spent some time in a few of the worlds shitholes??? Couldn't have expressed the same sentiment better
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I always thought the meaning of life was the search for its meaning.
I do all my own stunts
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

bellybuster wrote:I'm guessing you've spent some time in a few of the worlds shitholes??? Couldn't have expressed the same sentiment better
Actually, not really. I have been fortunate enough to live a rather good life, now that I can look back upon it with 20/20. There were times I would've disagreed with myself... But who doesn't have that happen?
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I've found home brewers have figured it all out.... RDWHAHB

Relax Don't Worry Have A Homebrew
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

blind drunk wrote:I always thought the meaning of life was the search for its meaning.
Ive always looked upon that philosophy like this: "Its like a blind man, in a black room, with no lights, searching for a black cat that doesn't exist."
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

There needs to be a BALANCE to everything.

But I'll take you seriously...

I picked this up elsewhere and edited it severely! It's no longer a quote, but an idea, I think, refined, to eliminate some issues.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoever or Whatever is the creator of mankind neither causes problems nor solves problems. Instead, Nature has provided laws that when obeyed create a state of no problems.

Problems are caused by the thinking and behavior of people acting on their own behavioral choices. So, as a result, the human race has suffered untold miseries, conflicts, illnesses, and unnecessary problems.

All really successful ventures result only when people obey the applicable Natural Laws: physics, gravitation, momentum, and friction to name a few, and the Law of Right Action.

Decades ago Richard W. Wetherill identified nature's Law of Right Action.
This universal law tells us to Do the Right Thing. "The Right Action produces the greatest benefit for the most people."

And from that, we learn that it is people's plans of life, formed by their likes and dislikes (prejudices), and their desire to impose those likes and dislikes on others, that become mankind's, greatest problems.

The elimination of those problems is achieved only by obeying Nature's level of thinking, found in nature and the Law of Right Action. As people think, say, and, do what is rational and honest, that new level of thinking makes problems disappear.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Jkhippie
Swill Maker

Post by Jkhippie »

I can't believe nobody's said it...

The answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42.
:roll:
The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, there's been a breach in the Duck Containment Facility.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

DAD300 wrote:There needs to be a BALANCE to everything.

But I'll take you seriously...

I picked this up elsewhere and edited it severely! It's no longer a quote, but an idea, I think, refined, to eliminate some issues.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoever or Whatever is the creator of mankind neither causes problems nor solves problems. Instead, Nature has provided laws that when obeyed create a state of no problems.

Problems are caused by the thinking and behavior of people acting on their own behavioral choices. So, as a result, the human race has suffered untold miseries, conflicts, illnesses, and unnecessary problems.

All really successful ventures result only when people obey the applicable Natural Laws: physics, gravitation, momentum, and friction to name a few, and the Law of Right Action.

Decades ago Richard W. Wetherill identified nature's Law of Right Action.
This universal law tells us to Do the Right Thing. "The Right Action produces the greatest benefit for the most people."

And from that, we learn that it is people's plans of life, formed by their likes and dislikes (prejudices), and their desire to impose those likes and dislikes on others, that become mankind's, greatest problems.

The elimination of those problems is achieved only by obeying Nature's level of thinking, found in nature and the Law of Right Action. As people think, say, and, do what is rational and honest, that new level of thinking makes problems disappear.
While I do agree with this, I will play devil's advocate, just for fun. It all depends on your perspective of what is "Right". Just remember, what is normal for the spider, is chaos for the fly.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

Jkhippie wrote:I can't believe nobody's said it...

19, if you're a Stephen King fan.
Thirstylildesertrat
Novice

Haha... Thanks y'all! I was having a very difficult day yesterday and have gained much from reading posts on this forum...not just about distilling, but about life... I just wanted to spark a conversation, not trying to incite political or religious rants. I believe the answer is different for all of us...I've never met any of you personally, yet I feel that you all have great insight...
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

Well I don"t reckon most men really begin to understand it til they git about 40 years old.And is it really that important? I think the better question one should ask himself is how can I live with peace within myself.I know this may sound a little Nancy but once you learn to truly love yourself "your" meaning of life will become more clear to you.I could be wrong more than likely.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

To ask the question "what is the meaning of life" shows the inherent flaw in humanity's thinking. That there is only one possible answer. If there was a universal answer, it might be how to progress together despite thinking differently.... :egeek:

Or I could be talking out my ass :think:
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

The KYChemist wrote:
Jkhippie wrote:I can't believe nobody's said it...

19, if you're a Stephen King fan.
9 if your a Beatle
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

In my younger years it was 86. :problem:

tp
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Go look under your bed at any given time in your life, you'll find it there.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

ga flatwoods wrote:We are an alien experiment doomed to failure
I'll have to disagree with GA.
God must have a sense of humor and drama.
We are his/hers/their's/its favorite reality show.
At this, we have been historically very successful.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Nothing really, I generally agree with The KYChemist, as humans we look for patterns in things and think that we must be special in some way, one day we will be extinct just like the other 99.9% of life that ever existed on earth.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Im with Pap on this. The meaning of life changes as you get older. Shit I use to preoccupy myself with and worry about when I was younger Ive long since come to terms with and dont find important anymore. You find a kind of peace as you get older.

Meaning of life? There is none. follow your passions whatever they are, life is short, be happy, treat folks animals and the planet like you want to be treated.

Sorry to hear youre going through a rough patch, hang in there thirstylildesertrat. Focus on the good, pursue happyness. Whats occupying your mind IS reality. You can choose.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Damn we all sound like some philosophical sons a guns. Goes to show the paths are different but we all die in the end.
Thirstylildesertrat
Novice

Thanks Jimbo... Things are looking up, I guess growing up is just a bitch sometimes...as a kid I always thought it would all make sense as an adult...haha...the older I get the more I realize how little I know...Looking at it all though, I have much more to be thankful for than I do to complain about.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Thirstylildesertrat wrote:Thanks Jimbo... Things are looking up, I guess growing up is just a bitch sometimes...as a kid I always thought it would all make sense as an adult...haha...the older I get the more I realize how little I know...Looking at it all though, I have much more to be thankful for than I do to complain about.
How true, I often wish I were as smart as I was when I was 18, pretty much knew it all back then, seems life has been a down hill slide ever since, the older I get the dumber I get.
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

For me the meaning of life is to learn things. I have an insatible curiosity, "Rube Goldberg", mentality, and a need to exercise both regularly. I feel a void (bored), when I'm not trying to understand something new and move on to something newer when I figure it out. However, there is never enough learning when it comes to horses, playing the guitar or shining...nice to have added shining to my list of unsolvable questions.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Uncle John
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Uncle John »

Pleading the fifth... :mrgreen:
Decline to answer the question for fear of self incrimination and/or banishment from this here fine forum.
Amen.
Last edited by Uncle John on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remember..., what you say here today, will echo in eternity.
Feller by the name of Plato said that. Don't tell, don't sell.