Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Remus
Trainee

Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Post by Uncle Remus »

Moderator edit: This is an edited version of this recipe. The original version which is available as a normal discussion thread can be found here - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=5368 .

This is my first try at making a rice spirit.

I brought about 45 liters of water to a boil. I added an 8kg bag of rice and let it boil for 10 minutes or so. Then I shut off the heat and let it sit for an hour. I then added another 10 liters or so of cold water, and put the pot outside to cool to strike temperature 66°C. It never took long as the tempertures outside are close to - 20° C right now....Burrrrrrrrrr!!!

At 66°C I added 4 tlbs of alpha amylase and put the lid on and let the conversion happen for about 90 minutes. The sg had the potential for about 6-7% AV. I added 10 lbs of white sugar and put the mixture to cool. When temperature reached 30-35°C I threw the yeast and added 4 tlbs of gluco amylase and aerated the crap out of it. Put it all in 2 fermenters and put it away to do it's magic.

I used 2 packages of EC 1118, which I hydrated and then started in a mild sugar water a couple hours before hand.

We shall see what happens :?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.