Sourcing Organic Grain In Canada

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Greenfield
Novice

Sourcing Organic Grain In Canada

Post by Greenfield »

Hello everyone,

I am looking to source organic maize, malted barley and rye in Canada. Preferably Ontario.

Any idea where to start looking?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
MDH
Distiller

Re: Sourcing Organic Grain In Canada

Post by MDH »

Stratford Farmer's Market? Find an Amish couple selling corn. Can't guarantee it's organic.

Barley you will have to order from Canada Malting Co., if you can find a local brewery you may be able to order it through them. I believe they source most of their barley from Saskatchewan. It's not the best barley I've ever tasted to be honest but with a bit of roasting you can get good flavor out of it. I know of a person here from Illinois who has had good success buying White Winter Wheat from Canada, which would more than likely be from them.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Start at a u brew shop that carries grain.

Or

Track down on of the many home brew clubs in Ontario and ask them for some leads. If you were in Vancouver you could have purchased at Dan's Homebrew in east Van. Shouldn't be too hard. Good luck.
I do all my own stunts
Michaeln416
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Michaeln416 »

Did you find what you were looking for Greenfield?

I'm also in Ontario and trying to source organic 2-row barley, preferably from a local farmer or market. For now I've settled on cheap mystery-barley from the farmer's co-op just down the road from me. Even with the LOT# and speaking directly with the buyer that sourced that batch at the feed supplier, they couldn't tell me if it was 2-row or 6-row, never mind organic. But it works and it's cheap; I'll use it for now and resume my search next year. I prefer to malt my own, so I'm looking for raw barley. Please, let me know if you find a reputable source. :-)
Having fun and great success sprouting/roasting/smoking my own malted barley
I brew in 50L batches using local natural spring water and fresh baker's yeast
8 Gallon SS Reflux Still for neutral & 20 Gallon Copper Pot Still for everything else
chocdoc
Novice

Post by chocdoc »

If you are anywhere near Burlington - you can get malted barley (two row or six row) at Better Bitter's which makes Nicklebrook Beer. Not sure about the organic though. Organic malted barley from Canadian Homebrew Supplies which is Brampton. They also have rye malt (not organic though). I've seen regular organic rye in bulk stores or in packages from Bob's Red Mill.

Not so sure where you might find the corn though. I've had great success with Odin's cornflake wash - my 'cereal bill' is cornflakes, shredded wheat cereal and malted barley. But obviously that's not going to be useful for your business.

Canada Malting that was mentioned has a Guelph location - not sure if they ship from there or you could pick up.

Here's an organic maize producer in Ontario -
Thompsons Limited
P. O. Box 250
Blenheim, ON N0P 1A0
Phone: 519-676-5411
Fax: 519-676-5674
srobert@thompsonslimited.com
http://www.ipelite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Products: Non-GMO, identity preserved soybeans and corn; organic soybeans, corn, spelt, and cereals; dry beans: navy, pinto, dark red, light red kidney, black, pink, and small red beans

Field Farms Marketing, Ltd.
4922 Lasalle Line
Petrolia, ON N0N 1R0
Phone: 519-882-2976
Fax: 519-882-3988
nathan@fieldfarms.ca (food-grade), barbara@fieldfarms.ca (feed-grade)
http://www.fieldfarms.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Products: Certified organic soybeans, soft and hard wheat; corn, oats, barley, millet, flaxseed, spelt, peas, and edible beans

Huron Commodities, Inc.
P.O. Box 1353
Clinton, ON N0M 1L0
Phone: 519-482-8400
Fax: 519-482-8383
info@huron.com
http://www.huron.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Products: Non-GMO food-grade soybeans, organic soybeans, soy meal, and corn

not Ontario -

ST-Lawrence Beans (a division of Agrocentre Belcan)
180 Montee Ste-Marie
Ste-Marthe, QC J0P 1W0
Phone: 519-676-1689 / 450-459-4288
Fax: 519-676-0771 / 450-459-4216
pmattsson@slbeans.com
http://www.slbeans.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Products: Process non-GMO, identity preserved, and organic soybeans, seeds, split and de-hulled soybeans. Organic soybean meal/oil. Organic cracked corn, Organic corn meal and flour. Also buy and sell other grains and oilseeds. Ship products bulk, bagged, totes, or in retail bags
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

My question is why organic?
Greenfield
Novice

Post by Greenfield »

thanks for the great info guys.

Looking to go organic because that is the business model I am going for. I want to offer a full organic line to he public since little of this exists in the ontario craft market.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

ok so its a marketing thing. There really is no other reason to go organic. The results are typically sub par. Also the pesticides used in organic are usually much worse than the standard options.
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

It would be interesting to analyze the compounds of organic vs non-organic likker ...

I would assume (and I have no knowledge of this) that if something comes out at 80% ethanol and some percentage of water that the actual percentage of other components is small, and of that, the percentage of compounds that contain the bad stuff is minimal ...

but I have no idea of supply. Canada home brew supplies is fairly good - they do offer discounts on bulk material (like dextrose) vs the little bags they sell
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

try Gilbertson and Page,
http://gilbertsonandpage.com