Meat curing and smoking

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Meat curing and smoking

Post by Truckinbutch »

Flatwoods and I had a lengthy and enjoyable phone conversation last week . One of the things we touched on was meat curing and smoking . It's a rewarding experience for anyone and needs to be no more elaborate than a single pork loin in the refrigerator , a hot plate and a garbage can for a smoke house . Bigger setups are fine if space , time , and climate allow . Not required to experience some fine eating .
A good trial run is a whole pork loin , 8# or so . Got the ones I did last week on sale for $1.98 per pound . Cut one in half to make it ziplock friendly and refrigerator handy .
>Mix 1 tablespoon per pound of Morton Tender Quick with half that amount of brown sugar and whatever spices you want to add into a dry rub and massage it into the loin pieces . Put them in ziplocks in a container in the fridge . Turn them over once a day for 7-10 days .
After the cure period wash them off in fresh water and pat dry . Slow cold smoke in any enclosed smoker or grill for about 8 hours with your wood of choice . I like apple , hickory , and mesquite . Not too much mesquite . It can impart some off flavors if used too much .
>Now , If you can stand the suspense , wrap them in cling wrap and put them back in the fridge for 2 days to let the flavors balance . Good luck with the patience . Slice thinly and fry for some of the damnedest Canadian bacon you have ever made . Try a couple of pieces first . If they are too salty for your taste soak the rest in water for 30 minutes and drain before frying or refrigerating .
>Bon Appetite
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Meat curing and smoking

Post by NZChris »

That sounds a bit like my pancetta, similar salts, brown sugar & a raid of my gin apothecary for flavoring, but I don't smoke it and it hangs in the kitchen to dry after being rinsed.
bship
Novice

Post by bship »

Thanks for sharing. I learned the hard way about to much mesquite, i was burping up forest fire for a day. I like to find fresh apple,crabb apple. skin it and throw it in. Less chance of overkill

Cheers, bship
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I just smoked some catfish filets on mesquite and they came out real tasty and not too smokey. I smoked them for 4 hours and added mesquite only once after the initial smoke was used up,,,,fine eatin"
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

That pork loin will also taste good smoked on cherry wood.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
The flint stones
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The flint stones »

Been doing this with pork butt,remove bone and use same basic recipe as with loin. I use fresh cracked black and smoke with hickory until internal temp is 150. Slice thick for a ham like piece or thin for more of a bacon type.
Also called "buckboard" bacon, google it.
Mmmmmm good!
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Oh man that sounds delicious! My wife usually whips up the brine and let's it soak for a few days and then hands it off to me. I have an old pressure tank cut open into a big smoker. I usually use maple because it is all around me. I get the fire going good and then cut down some fresh green branches and stuff them in. The sugary smoke that comes off the wet wood is delicious! I think I will go home and fire the thing up!
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Damn every one of you!!! Now I am going to have to put down the computer and fix something to eat. Ur killin me. OK please be more specific I am going to have to go to the store I see the smoker getting fired up. I have done pork butt on the smoker and it was pretty good. I didn't take the bone out and I dry rubbed and threw it in, no resting. The loin sounds most delicious. Last week it was on sale so you are a week late. I have hickory and apple to smoke with and im all electric so no feeding other than wood for smoke and it holds temps really well. 125 to 275 i think. I smoked herring once and the pork butt was better. I like catfish fish grilled and marinaded with Italian dressing. I like steak and shrimp or any seafood marinaded with Italian dressing and grilled. Truckinbutch one thing you touched on with GAflat was smoked and curing meats. How bout you touch on it a little more on here. Damn it where is GAFlat when you need him.
wilded
Novice

Post by wilded »

Read the last article at this link on Buckboard and Canadian Bacon. :mrgreen:
http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/archive_ ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I think I like it. I think its gonna happen at my house.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

Smoking meat is a great way to use up the wood after you pull the likker off of it. i put mine i a ziplock bag and toss it in the freezer until im ready to smoke some meat.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Well , HB , you asked for it . Buckle in . This is going to be long .
>I'm dry curing and smoking to achieve stand alone , kept without refrigeration meat . My cooler is a free refrigerator of 19 cuft or so size (looking for more as I post to increase curing capacity) that will hold about 100# of curing meat . My Smoke Vault smoker will hold about the same amount . I cold smoke at a max temp of 115 degrees . I don't use the propane burner for that . Too expensive . I have a cast iron bean pot with lid that is of such poor quality that we could never get it seasoned . I light up 10-12 charcoal pieces in a chimney lighter and dump them in the pot (a splash of fores on them works well to get them going). Wood chunks go in on top of them and sliding the lid open or closed regulates the heat and smoke level . Might have to add wood chunks a couple of times over an 8 hour period . That is generally long enough for pieces the thickness of loin or shoulder or beef bottom round cured for dried beef for dried beef gravy(SOS) .
I have an electric meat slicer for even slicing of product when it is finished . Vacuum sealer to package finished product . Took SOH and I 3 hrs day before yesterday to slice and bag 60 lbs of finished meat .
Took 1# of that to the local pub at 'happy hour' yesterday and had the barmaid fry it out and pass it out for free bar snacks . Sold 35# at a tidy profit and got standing orders for more when I get it ready . Pound of bits and pieces went into a large crock pot with dried beans early in the day . Fed 7 of us last night with enough left over for 4 more very large portions .
>Curing advice I will leave to the Morton Company . I swear by their products and reputation . They also UPS direct to you on case orders with free shipping . 3 days , give or take . Follow their portions for dry or brine cure and add seasonings to your own taste to their cure mix . Tender Quick is my favorite .
>Smoked pork chops can be made very quickly . Soak them in a TQ brine for 24 hrs and then cold smoke 2-3-4 hrs to taste . Fridge them until you want them . Coat them with a breading mix of your choice and bake .
Make ya wanna stand flat footed and slap your Grandma :crazy:
I'll try to respond to specific questions beyond this . Y'all got a basic idea and I don't want to keep rattlin undirected .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Making me bloody hungry!!!!!!! Please don't post pictures or my guts will start consuming it's self!!!
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Keep rattlin? Keep rattlin. Keep rattlin! If anyone minds please say so. I didn't thin anyone would mind. Who's the OP anyway? I just put my seat belt on.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Ask me specific questions and I'll try to answer them . I gotta have a target to shoot at . Been a long day and I'm nigh on to nap time . I'll be back later to check in .
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I like pork butt. I have done a memphis dry rub and other dry rubs and hot and cool smoke. I have not done vineger but love it. I have not done vineger casue all the internet don't do it and I am thinking opening and closing might loose to much heat. I has not been bad but I am looking for something that is wow. I don't like to play. It doesn't have to be pork butt. I am looking for the WOW! If we are making Pulled pork BBQ sammys I got the slaw to top it with and it has covered up lots of average pork. If we are making the best deer jerky you ever eaten I got that aslo. I do 100% of the cooking and don't even let the wife in the kitchen. I got lots of other great ways of cookin other stuff but no smoked pork. I even smoked ribs last weeks and they were good but not close to where I want them.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

I just smoked my last 2 sagita roosters that I raised last summer this past Saturday.
1/2 cup Tender Quick, 1 cup brown sugar per gallon of water, making enough brine to cover the birds. Let them brine for 2-3 days, (chickens take on brine very easily and any old barnyard bird can be used as well as nice tender fryers.)
I smoked for 10 hours using maple for 2 fillings and cherry for 1 in my wood box, over propane burners, and smoked until internal temp reached 180.
This is the best chicken ever. And the chicken soup from the left over carcass really is over the top. this is my favorite way to make chicken to eat.
I also had 2 lbs of homade goats milk farmers cheese hanging in the smoker for 3 hours. Came out kind of dry but very yummy.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Fastill wrote:I just smoked my last 2 sagita roosters that I raised last summer this past Saturday.
1/2 cup Tender Quick, 1 cup brown sugar per gallon of water, making enough brine to cover the birds. Let them brine for 2-3 days, (chickens take on brine very easily and any old barnyard bird can be used as well as nice tender fryers.)
I smoked for 10 hours using maple for 2 fillings and cherry for 1 in my wood box, over propane burners, and smoked until internal temp reached 180.
This is the best chicken ever. And the chicken soup from the left over carcass really is over the top. this is my favorite way to make chicken to eat.
I also had 2 lbs of homade goats milk farmers cheese hanging in the smoker for 3 hours. Came out kind of dry but very yummy.
Sounds yummy . I think you are missing the point here . That is cooked meat to be served right away and is fine . Do the same thing myself .
What I'm talking about here is preserving meat for long periods of time without refrigeration beyond the curing stage . Many years aged cured hams being a gourmet case to point .
There is a big difference between brining to improve flavors and curing for preservation . Both have special places in our cook book .
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

I didn't get that out of the first post but get where you are coming from.
The only thing I have to add to long term curing for storage is that Tenderquick isn't enough. It doesn't have the proper cures in the proper ratios for long term. Prague powder, curing salts, and bacterial cultures for curing meats should be used for the long term curing and then smoking is a tasty option but not but not needed. It does have bennifits but proper use of cures is manditory.
Had a friends grandpa that used to go out the the smokehouse once a month just to scrape the outer layer of mold off the hams and fire up the smoke for a day or two just to make sure they would keep until Christmas.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

halfbaked wrote:I like pork butt. I have done a memphis dry rub and other dry rubs and hot and cool smoke. I have not done vineger but love it. I have not done vineger casue all the internet don't do it and I am thinking opening and closing might loose to much heat. I has not been bad but I am looking for something that is wow. I don't like to play. It doesn't have to be pork butt. I am looking for the WOW! If we are making Pulled pork BBQ sammys I got the slaw to top it with and it has covered up lots of average pork. If we are making the best deer jerky you ever eaten I got that aslo. I do 100% of the cooking and don't even let the wife in the kitchen. I got lots of other great ways of cookin other stuff but no smoked pork. I even smoked ribs last weeks and they were good but not close to where I want them.

Sorry HB I couldn't resist. I love good ribs!
DSCF0007.JPG
I have never done any curing , mostly smoking and canning. I did some salmon and tuna last year that was great!. Took the fish and brined it for 24 hours. then put it in the smoker for 2 hours then canned it. It is some good fish and will last for a long time. I typically eat it all up before to long so I couldn't say how long it will last.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have to cold smoke some gouda this weekend, so I'll put some new pancetta in with it for an experiment.

I have some spent chips and dominoes, but I'm not sure if they are a match with the gouda, so I'll save that experiment for later.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

I prefer a dry cure for salmon. Slow smoke over a little alder, apple or cherry.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Beg to differ with you on the effectiveness of TQ . It is a matter of proper application and proper proportions as you stated . Scrapin mold off every month and smokin more is a poor way to treat a good ham . Don't know how he kept the skipper flies off them doin it that way . Ours got started at Thanksgiving Day . That was butchering day . Couple of months curing and then the smoking commenced . Once the smoking was judged finished they got scrubbed off and dried off . Then we coated them with black pepper and borax . Smeared them over with hog lard to seal them and then wrapped them in brown butcher paper and hung them in a cool place in muslin bags to be used as needed . Ate right where you put it .
Seasoned the sausage and pattied it up and partially fried it . Layered it down in stoneware crocks and then poured hog lard over it to seal it up . Dug out what we needed each day during the winter and close up to next butchering time to finish cooking and eat .
I grew up this way doin it . We used everything off a hog except it's squeal . They never could convince me to eat hog brains . Never had a hankerin to eat something I had just shot a rifle ball into the day before .
I got no desire to prepare no more hog casings for sausage , neither , as long as I can get affordable prepared hog guts shipped to my house with a mouse click and a credit card number .
Pickled pig feet ain't such a problem . Damned good eatin there when they are pickled right .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

We usually manage to take the head home after we have done a spit for weddings, birthdays etc. I've never seen one with any damage. Only once has someone beaten me to the brain and we have done a LOT of spits.

There was one I didn't like and it was split, then hot smoked. I don't recommend trying that. The rest of the head was superb.

I used to do a lot of brawn, you might know it as Head Cheese. Everything except the bones and teeth goes in. Heart attack material. Yum.
wilded
Novice

Post by wilded »

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

:thumbup: :clap: What time is dinner ? :)
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I'm coming also and if I get to the table there will be no left overs. New rule can't post pics unless you tell me how you made it. Corene those ribs are to die for. Pork tenderloin, smoked meat in a tube, not sure what the one with the knife and a fork is but all look really good. Wilded tell us about the meat in a tube.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

WOW! That looks pretty darned good!. Is the one with the knife and fork in it a Tri Tip?
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

I like to make Canadian Bacon using pork loin.
I'll post up the recipe a little later.

bship
Novice

Post by bship »

wow killing me with theses pics. corene between your pretty copper work and the ribs, you sure know how to make a person drool. wilded nice smoke ring on that brisket(?)

where is this feast taking place?