SUGAR HEAD RUN ISSUE

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

New to distilling
Novice

SUGAR HEAD RUN ISSUE

Post by New to distilling »

Ran a sugar wash through my reflux still last night, checked it every 15 min's or so, came out and at one stage thecooling hose had come loose, vapour everywhere, hooked her back up and kept going once finished I diluted it with water to 40 percent, this morning looked at it and it was very very slightly cloudy grey (fusils maybe) thought i'd put it through for a second run tonight just to clean it up, but I have never made a second run before. I have about 6 litres of watered down alcohol, do I add water and run it again or run it as it is in my 25ltr reflux still?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: SUGAR HEAD RUN ISSUE

Post by S-Cackalacky »

New to distilling wrote:Ran a sugar wash through my reflux still last night, checked it every 15 min's or so, came out and at one stage thecooling hose had come loose, vapour everywhere, hooked her back up and kept going once finished I diluted it with water to 40 percent, this morning looked at it and it was very very slightly cloudy grey (fusils maybe) thought i'd put it through for a second run tonight just to clean it up, but I have never made a second run before. I have about 6 litres of watered down alcohol, do I add water and run it again or run it as it is in my 25ltr reflux still?
Does this mean that you are leaving your still unattended for 15 minutes at a time? If so, this is a serious safety concern.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
New to distilling
Novice

15 minutes is good these reflux stills in NZ ard designed to be left and checked twice an hour, no flame just an element inside even the instruction videos say it? I couuld understand if I were doing it with an open flame I might monitor it. What about my cloudy issue?
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Tails are cloudy sometimes. Cut it to less than 40% and rerun it. Collect in small jars, let air overnight and make your cuts before blending.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Does the instruction video show how cuts are done when you not near the still :lol: . We try to promote safety here and what your doing isn't mate. what would happen if you had a short in the electrical s, the hose has come.off again, boom!. I think it's very poor form for a still company to be promoting this. What company is it. Yes the cloudiness is tails. I'm guessing your doing a turbo wash?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
New to distilling
Novice

Yep fair call, I get the saftey issue. Yes Turbo wash
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Ignore whatever that video said and read the novice distillers section then pick a recipe from tried and true. And throw away that turbo yeast! Yuck!
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
New to distilling
Novice

Cheers
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

New to distilling wrote:15 minutes is good these reflux stills in NZ ard designed to be left and checked twice an hour, no flame just an element inside even the instruction videos say it? I couuld understand if I were doing it with an open flame I might monitor it. What about my cloudy issue?
Ummm... NO...!!! You NEVER leave a still unattended... Not sure where you heard or read that idiotic nonsense about leaving a still alone, like it is a set it and forget it device, but you need to wise up and practice better safety measures starting now... Or we can just read about you in the news after you burn your house/garage/shed down... This causes me to wonder what else you're doing wrong, and I'm certain that I'm not the only member wondering... New Zealand isn't any different from the rest of the world so don't think you're any safer there than anywhere else because shit happens everywhere...
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Although the instructions do say that it can be left alone. I would still not do it. The 1-2 drips per second is way too slow for me to stick around and watch which is the reason I don't have one.

The cloudiness is probably tails coming through. Dilute, re run and make proper cuts. Without leaving your still
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Although the instructions do say that it can be left alone. I would still not do it. The 1-2 drips per second is way too slow for me to stick around and watch which is the reason I don't have one.

The cloudiness is probably tails coming through. Dilute, re run and make proper cuts. Without leaving your still
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

What kind of water did you cut it with. I had some whiskey cloud up using bad water.
You know your an alcoholic when you have your own still, mash your own grain and distill your own likker, but you don't care!!! A.A. is for quitters.

The only laws worth breaking are the ones that don't make sense!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The magic T-500 still. Set it and forget it. And don't need to make cuts. And turbo washes are the best. oh and carbon filtering is needed for a good drink.

When they should really tell you.

This still should never be left alone. It's very dangerous.
Proper cuts should be made on all recipes.
Turbo yeasts make good rocket fuel. We just want you to buy it. So we can get all your money.
Carbon filtering doesn't replace making cuts. It also isn't needed if you use a good recipe. But we want you to buy it. So we can take even more of your money.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Well said PP, my first trip to the LHBS sounded identical to that nice little pitch. I knew better having been a lurker long before my first wash.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.