Adapting NG Hot Water Tank Burner

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

335Guy
Novice

Adapting NG Hot Water Tank Burner

Post by 335Guy »

I got another one. I have 12 gallons of a molasses rum wash ready to go. I don't really want to put it into my large boiler over my pipe burner. I want to run it in my 15.5 gallon keg. Since I'm going to need another round/banjo style burner anyway for my keggle when I start doing AG, I figured I better get on the ball and come up w/ another NG burner. I acquired a NG hot water tank burner the other day. W/ a couple of modifications, I think this would make a great burner for keg style stills and for AG mashing, etc..

Here's the burner...
Water heater burner 2.jpg
Water heater burner.jpg
I'll post more pics as I get fittings and make some sort of stand.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Re: Adapting NG Hot Water Tank Burner

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Looks like it would fit nicely inside a car rim.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
335Guy
Novice

Post by 335Guy »

I've been a little delayed on this project. I like the idea of a tire rim... One of the problems I ran into is on the inverted flare. To use it as-is, I need to find a 1/2" female NPT that has the male end of the flare down inside it (called an inverted flare...). I can't find them anywhere local. I've seen some online, but I don't like ordering things (I know... I'm weird :roll:). I think I might just cut off the existing fitting, anneal the steel tube, and reflare it w/ regular flare fittings.
crazy4supras
Novice

Post by crazy4supras »

I used the same burner for mine had to reflare the fitting to fit the 10ft of NG flex line purchased, used some 1/4in angle iron to build a stand to fit my boiler works great takes around 45min to get my 7 gallons up to temp, definitely worth the build its always ready to go
TonsOfFun
Novice

Post by TonsOfFun »

Howdy fellow stiller! Would you mind posting pics of your build? A co-work of mine just had his water heater go down..."one mans loss is another mans gain." :D He was kind enough to pull the burner out for me, it's NG and still has all the water heater stuff on it still, like the electrical connection for power exhaust fan, electric ignition, control knobs for water temp, water temp sensor etc. I am guess I will just have to scrap all that. Any help would be appreciated, and it will also help get the ol lady off my back...she don't like me taking up her stove space!
crazy4supras
Novice

Post by crazy4supras »

http://www.google.com/search?q=natural+ ... =615&dpr=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow#spd=7561192875047268027quote="TonsOfFun"]Howdy fellow stiller! Would you mind posting pics of your build? A co-work of mine just had his water heater go down..."one mans loss is another mans gain." :D
was kind enough to pull the burner out for me, it's NG and still has all the water heater stuff on it still, like the electrical connection for power exhaust fan, electric ignition, control knobs for water temp, water temp sensor etc. I am guess I will just have to scrap all that. Any help would be appreciated, and it will also help get the ol lady off my back...she don't like me taking up her stove space![/quote]

Sorry it's been awhile and I don't have any pics right now but here is a link that I pretty much copied the burner just used 1/4 angle iron and a mig welder and a hose kit from menards
Links at the top having problems using my phone today
crazy4supras
Novice

Post by crazy4supras »

I have been doing alot of reading to figure out how to convert over to electric i find that a lot of topics just end without questions being answered so i decided to go thru and finish ones i can this is all 1/4 angle iron i had laying around cut and mig welded together only thing i used from the hot water heater was the burner and heat shield if you use the heat shield i recommend cutting a sight hole so you can see the flame for adjustments ive been using this for a couple yrs now with no problems
Attachments
I welded the tab on the burner to a piece of angle iron and used another piece of metal to lock it in the groove
I welded the tab on the burner to a piece of angle iron and used another piece of metal to lock it in the groove
20160218_105142-1-1.jpg
20160218_105125-1.jpg