Grappa Recipe?

Moderator: Site Moderator

frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Grappa Recipe?

Post by frunobulax »

I want to make a Grappa, but after reading many varying recipes and posts, I still haven't come up with a recipe. I want to make a 12 gallon sugar wash at 1.080 and add it to the pomace,
which I assume will have been squeezed to hell and there is no juice left. So my question is how many pounds or gallons of pomace should I use to add the sugar wash to and still get flavor?
I am counting on re-squeezing this and not distilling on the pomace.
Thanks..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Grappa Recipe?

Post by NZChris »

My last one, I used all of the backset plus sugar and water to get back to the original volume and SG of the brandy must. Double distilled running to 30% in the jar, then to 62.5% aging strength. The backset was dropped, hot, onto the sugar to get conversion. It's my best grappa so far.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

The problem is I don't know original volumes, someone just getting me a container of pomace so I'm looking for a starting point / formula, X amount of pounds or gallons
of pomace to X amount of water and sugar. I also have a 4" opening in my boiler(gas fired) so I'm thinking I could add some pomace to the boiler without scorching it or should I
squeeze it and leave it out altogether?
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I ended up getting a 32 gallon barrel, 3/4 of the way full of pomace, I'd guess it to be 90-100 LBS., not a bit of moisture left. The Pomace was still fermenting,ya could feel the heat and smell the Co2. For the hell of it I put a few Lbs. in a bucket and added water, stirred and checked the gravity with a refractometer. It was around 1 brix. almost nothing left.. I added 15 gallons of sugar water at 1.061 to the Pomace which brought it up almost to within a few inches of the top. It started fermenting like crazy almost right away. When it's ready I'm going to squeeze out most of the juice and add a few scoops of pomace to the boiler and pot still it. Hope it's comes out good!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's not too late to remove stalks and seeds.

The ferment can get pretty wild. My last lot overflowed the barrel.