Rum - the thing with molasses throwing hydrometer readings ?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fidget
Novice

Rum - the thing with molasses throwing hydrometer readings ?

Post by Fidget »

Started off with 22L of buccaneer bobs rum wash recipe.

It now tastes very bitter, but a hint of sweetness under there.

I'm worried there's not been enough change in these readings, though I know that with molasses in there it puts the hydro all off anyway?

Start around 1.031

Month later 1.020

The first 2 weeks were very active, the first few days it was blowing bubbles non stop!

But I'm not convince it's done. Do I just hope that all is well...or is it worth re pitching another bakers yeast starter and seeing if it might take off again and get a Lower reading in another 2 weeks?
Last edited by Fidget on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum - the thing with molasses throwing hydrometer readin

Post by 3d0g »

Something badly wrong with your OG. Buccaneer Bobs will be somewhere around 1.075 with just the molasses and 1.110 with the sugar addition added in.
Fidget
Novice

Post by Fidget »

3d0g wrote:Something badly wrong with your OG. Buccaneer Bobs will be somewhere around 1.075 with just the molasses and 1.110 with the sugar addition added in.

Damnit

I've just realised based on file dates that my 'SG photo' was actually taken 2 days after the sugar was added! I didn't take one at the start ....bad memory , this was over a month ago now.

Anyhow I did follow bobs steps and specifically the quantities of sugar and molasses...so at least those pics are in keeping with a very busy first couple of days fermenting...

Sorry. This will learn me to make better notes next time around.
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

That sounds better. 80-85% attenuation is good. And you probably hit your FG by the end of a week.