uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: uncle jesse's simple sour mash method

Post by T-Pee »

~80 degrees f. It'll slow way down <75.

Most yeast packages have the range on them.

tp
Tito
Novice

Post by Tito »

Do most of you all save up enough low wines for a spirit run or do you all just do a couple runs at a time?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

When starting from scratch I do one charge worth to make the backset for next generation which is three charges worth, strip that, then do a spirit run doing tight cuts if it's going to be drunk as young white dog, or running to barrel strength if it's for aging.
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

Do I add new yeast to the mash after the first run? Or is the yeast from the first mash still alive?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Fetsmith wrote:Do I add new yeast to the mash after the first run? Or is the yeast from the first mash still alive?
i ran the original yeast for 11 months. treat them right, they will be you friends.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

Is the same yeast still as active after even five runs? When removing mash for a run aren't I also removing some of the yeast?
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Yes you are removing some yeast that's why you let it clear, but the amount if yeast left on the bottom of the fermentation container is massive. I have easily 10 times what I put in.
Its been said that after a certain number of runs the yeast can breed into something undesirable but I haven't hit that point yet. I can also say the yeast, for my batches anyway, seem to get stronger and quicker every time.

I used quick rise baking yeast, which likes 80°, at 66° and it took 9 days to ferment. The second batch at that same temperature (66°) took 3 days. I believe the weak yeast died off causing a Darwinian effect leaving me with yeast that likes that temperature range, or maybe its just the quantity of yeast!
Happy new year to everyone!
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Running generation 3. I have about 1/2 gallon of wash that won't fit in the boiler. Should I add this back in to the fermenter for the next generation or is it better to just add water and backset?
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

I just completed my first run.I collected six quarts with the first quart starting at 110 proof and the last quart stopping at 50 proof. It was a little weaker than I thought it might be coming out but I guess by adding to the next run it will remedy that.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

That sounds like a lack of ethanol in the wash. What was your SG?

tp (hears an "I don't know" coming)
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

Thanks for the reply T-Pee. My SG was 1.050 @85deg and it took 4 days for it to reach a FG of 1.000 @85deg upon which it stopped bubbling. I let it clear out for 24 hrs then ran it. I ended up running 9 gallons of wash 1 gallon was left in my fermenter which came just to the top of the corn. How would my wash have a lack of ethanol?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

That SG gives you a potential of about 6.5% in your wash,which isn't extremely low, but could account for the slightly lower than normal abv collected. Typically on a wash with 8-8.5% I'll start collecting at 60ish, a little higher abv on a slow single spirit run. See how your next run goes. Aim for about 1.065 SG.
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

I started my second mash this morning, the SG was 1.050 as well. Could I raise it by adding a bit mire sugar and cracked corn?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Wouldn't worry about adding much more cracked corn, it's only there for flavor. You could add a bit more sugar. I realize you are American, but by chance were you using imperial gallons of water or US gallons? On 5 gallon wash it'll make a difference of almost a gallon which could account for the slightly lower SG (Canadian here made obvious mistake once or twice myself).
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Just for comparison, I need to do three 10 gallon runs of apple juice (1.050) to make one gallon of 55% brandy. You're on the right track.

Add more sugar to bring it up to 1.070 and you're good to go, imo.

tp (prodding the tiger)
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it. And yes I am using US gallons, I will try adding more sugar and see if hat helps.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

T-Pee wrote: Add more sugar to bring it up to 1.070 and you're good to go, imo.

tp (prodding the tiger)
Sure, get it in there while he's away, right? Better watch out because you know he'll be back! Lol.
Fetsmith wrote:Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it. And yes I am using US gallons, I will try adding more sugar and see if hat helps.
Pro-tip: if you're not already, use the hot backset to dissolve and invert the sugar then cool and add to next ferment. I always toss my backset on the burner or stove for a bit on medium heat for about 20 minutes to half hour with the sugar.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

tp (prodding the tiger)
:problem:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Jimbo wrote:

tp (prodding the tiger)
:problem:
Since Tater 86'd woodshed for a bit, you'll do. :twisted:

tp
Fetsmith
Novice

Post by Fetsmith »

?????????
NattyBoh
Bootlegger

Post by NattyBoh »

Can backset be used to dilute a strip run down to the appropriate spirit run proof? Would this add much flavor?
NattyBoh
Bootlegger

Post by NattyBoh »

Or maybe a better way to ask...SHOULD backset ever be used...?
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Can be. You may like the flavor. You may not. Only one way to find out
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NattyBoh wrote:Can backset be used to dilute a strip run down to the appropriate spirit run proof? Would this add much flavor?
You can. It would be better than water.

If you want flavor, you can run till you don't need to dilute and/or add fresh wash.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

ben stiller wrote:Running generation 3. I have about 1/2 gallon of wash that won't fit in the boiler. Should I add this back in to the fermenter for the next generation or is it better to just add water and backset?
It will not hurt adding it back to the fermenter. I usually leave at least a gallon or 2 in my fermenter above the corn and yeast bed just to keep it healthy and wet. I use a 20 gallon fermenter and a 15 gallon boiler.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

ben stiller wrote:Running generation 3. I have about 1/2 gallon of wash that won't fit in the boiler. Should I add this back in to the fermenter for the next generation or is it better to just add water and backset?
Plan your ferments so that that the extra 1/2g goes into the low wines for a spirit run. Dumping it into the next generation seems like asking for trouble to me, but try it and see how it goes, if it works for you, keep doing it.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

NattyBoh wrote:Can backset be used to dilute a strip run down to the appropriate spirit run proof? Would this add much flavor?
Like said, strip down far enough you don't need to dilute. Leaves lots more flavor. Outside of backset, some fresh wash to dilute down works even better with tons of flavor.
Boxcutter
Bootlegger

Post by Boxcutter »

Ok thinking about trying this recipe. I've only done a sweet feed ferment. With the sweet feed recipe when you start you bring the sweet feed sugar and some of your water to a boil stirring to melt the sugar and molasses from the feed then cool to the 90's and toss in yeast. If I'm reading right you don't need to do cook your corn sugar and water at all right? But if you do will it hurt anything ?
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

You don't even need to do that for the sweet feed. Just dump some hot water on it to dissolve the sugar. Top up with cold and pitch yeast at the right temp. Gelatinising the corn without converting the starches could potentially cause problems with scorching or puking when running.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
Boxcutter
Bootlegger

Post by Boxcutter »

Thanks !! I'm planning on starting this ferment Friday