Troy & sons

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Acp380
Novice

Troy & sons

Post by Acp380 »

Hello all. I apologize for using the m word but I was watching moonshiners and at the troy & sons distillery I noticed they were using a clear plastic hose as their discharge hose from the Condenser. Now if it were in any other scene in the show I would disregard it but since it was in a legit distillery I'm curious. Is this common practice? Is it safe to transfer high abv spirits using these materials? The reason I ask is because I have been using a plastic funnel from the lhbs to fill my carboy and it concerns me.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Troy & sons

Post by Bushman »

What I once read there are like 11 or so different types of plastic material and one is suitable for high abv alcohol. With that said the odds our members will not choose or do the research to purchase the right one thus we will not promote plastic as it is too easy for members to use the wrong material.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Bushman is right. I cringe when I see it because of my time here on the forum. In her defense, I highly doubt she just ran out to the nearest Lowe's and bought that hose. I'm sure (and hope) it is the one approved for high abv.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

kurgan is right about Bushman being right
Acp380
Novice

Post by Acp380 »

WooTeck wrote:kurgan is right about Bushman being right
Lmao.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

WooTeck is right about kurgan being right about bushman being correct as i have seen the same think done at distilleries around here and it was explained to me that it is not your average plastic but a special material made for the stilling profession to use in high ABV . Not really something i would like to see explored to much in the forums as there is just way to much scope for serious errors to be made :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Acp380
Novice

Post by Acp380 »

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I need a stainless or copper funnel asap.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

My son got me a copper one, I love it. Think he found it on eBay . Was made in India . Before I used a plastic funnel to fill my bottles, you can see the plastic kinda melting around the outside of the funnel. Plastics :thumbdown:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Acp380 wrote:Hello all. I apologize for using the m word but I was watching moonshiners and at the troy & sons distillery I noticed they were using a clear plastic hose as their discharge hose from the Condenser. Now if it were in any other scene in the show I would disregard it but since it was in a legit distillery I'm curious. Is this common practice? Is it safe to transfer high abv spirits using these materials? The reason I ask is because I have been using a plastic funnel from the lhbs to fill my carboy and it concerns me.
If you are filling your carboy with wash ready to ferment then you are good to go. Even after fermentation I use a beer funnel to fill my boiler. I also use it for beer I brew.
Nothing distilled touches plastic. Stick to this and you will be good, Glass, Copper, Stainless, and Wood.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I picked up a stainless funnel from a restaurant supply store for a couple bux for using on my high ABV. I have no need for any other funnels as I use a siphon to rack. And I don't ferment in carboys. Too much of a pita for me to clean.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Hate to admit that I watch that show from time to time still. Usually yelling and cussing about how fake it is and how they should be doing things...

But... that is one fine woman right there. That is exactly my style.

I do peek in more frequently now that she's on it.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Acp380
Novice

Post by Acp380 »

Brutal wrote:
But... that is one fine woman right there. That is exactly my style.

I can definitely agree with that!
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

i thought i was the only one to notice the hose...

i also saw some videos from another legit distillery, where they were using what appeared to be clear vinyl hose ....

at least it is good that all the safety info we use as mantra here is showing... it is good to question that sort of thing... i mean really, do the feds tour a distillery and check the equipment or tubing etc for safety health issues? or do they just make sure the sugar in = alcohol out = proper taxation? well anyhow...

so if say randy Rumseed from blanked out distillery a new micro biz distillery, needs a hose and runs down to the nearest ace hardware and finds "Food grade" clear vinyl and brings a few feet back to get the distillate to the container without splashing, who inspects for that? or if we see something is it proper and correct to ask regarding the materials of concern?

just wondering...
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I don't think anybody inspects for that. Could be wrong though. That shit's pretty scary if you think about it.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

yes, scarey, but also makes me damned glad i studied up on this gift of a site, and have learned enough to know the difference ...

Thanks to all the good folks that led the way on this great resource that we have, to promote safety and quality in our given craft.
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

More than possible that randy rumseed used the random cheap ass unidentified plastic hose.

Seeing as even a micro would produce an order of magnitude more spirit than even the most industrious of us, id have thunk that the lesson would be learned quite quickly once the hose melted into a sticky plasticy mess.
If for no reason than lost likker works out expensive, and rather dangerous if you lost a fair amount before you noticed!

Or would constant use running gallons of high test through it leach away all the nasties, and eventually leave a relatively safe hose?
how many bottles of nasty hooch before the hose is purged of nasty?
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
mixxer
Novice

Post by mixxer »

I've never distilled (on the learning curve and collecting bits for first build). I do though make a steaped ginger liquor with a high proof (72% vol) French eaux de vie. I masserate that in glass jarsjars and rack it off in to glass wine bottles with natural cork. No plastic in sight. I do though use generic clear 'food safe' pipe to siphon it. Its around 60% by then.

Is there a safe way to rack highhigh proof stuff?
awerdenty
Novice

Post by awerdenty »

I watch the show just to laugh and get pissed off and rant. I saw this too and was wondering about it. To me it looks like clear vinyl hose and after having done research looking for acceptable hoses, there are a few that are made from ptfe (very $$$) and a few other materials FDA approved for alcohol transfer up to 96% (probably approved safe since it shouldnt be handling hot steaming alcohol). The issue I found is that most are wrapped protected hoses, and those that arent wrapped arent completely clear but slightly milky or colored, so is this hose they used acceptable? Well if it is vinyl, then we here know the answer, but what about craft disitlleries that dont know or use this site?

Well this leads to the other issue (in my not complete research), I havent found anything about the guberment listing approved materials. I have read pretty thoroughly through the CFR dealing with distilleries and requirements of running, and no surprise I found no list of approved materials or even banned materials. Also no surprise everything was geared toward accuracy of measurement and security along the entire process so they can get every last nickle from you, but not toward ensuring public safety though I guess that would fall under the FDA or Dept of Ag.

My favorite line from the commentator so far is "the faster it comes off the still, the higher the proof"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

There was an episode last season(?) where Tim packed up his first legal run to send off to the bottler. It was in one of those 300 gallon plastic totes with the steel cage around it. And this was in a supposedly "legal" distillery. So, if using plastic for THAT is standard procedure, why wouldn't they use it for other things. But then, maybe it's myth just like the rest of the show.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

S-Cackalacky wrote:There was an episode last season(?) where Tim packed up his first legal run to send off to the bottler. It was in one of those 300 gallon plastic totes with the steel cage around it. And this was in a supposedly "legal" distillery. So, if using plastic for THAT is standard procedure, why wouldn't they use it for other things. But then, maybe it's myth just like the rest of the show.
Pure grain neutral spirits used to make vodka and other liquors are shipped from KY to WA in those totes... From Pharma Grade providers.
MUST be safe :crazy:
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

their heirloom platinum moonshine is good. i just finished the bottle a week ago. i sipped it the way it was; w and without ice, also w apple juice...im not sure how else people of NC would mix it. i agree w Brutal 100% with Troy...holy smokes what a fine lady!!
anyone that watches, (name will not be mentioned) for actual experience is better going on youtube..lol
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

All this TALK about Troy Ball and no Pictures>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Here you go and she is a nice lady with an amazing story....The sons part.
Troy with her first still.

and here is the mentioned plastic lines
Attachments
DSCN4576.JPG
DSCN4583.JPG